2023 University Cup

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I didn't have 7-0 on my Bingo card. The Major penalty was deserved and resulted in 3 more goals. Take away the PP goals and it's a 2-0 game.

I'm glad ALB is "rebuilding" as Bob calls it. Hate to see them just retooling.

Not wanting to project, but this is a team that played CAL in 3 OT games in CW final.
Expect CAL to be just as good???? idk, that's why they play the games.
A crushing hit on the boards and he almost left his feet when he made the hit. The player had his back to the boards and took the hit on the chest and head. No arguments from me on that call. I like big clean hits, but the thing is - at that speed and location - the big hit can be out of control.
Not an intelligent play to start a game, resulting in 3 pp goals in the first 5 minutes or less.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Let"s cut to the chase here.
Windsor wasn't any good...at least today!
Not ready to go...slow...undisciplined...and lacked skill.

A deeper Alberta team scores 8 or 9.

U can't leave your feet on an unsuspecting player...THAT DOESN'T HAVE THE PUCK...that's a Major all day...in any League!

Costly win for Alberta.

Ryan Hughes has been a 2nd line player for the Golden Bears last 2 seasons...and one of the Hall boys up front got knicked up too!

This is a season in which the Bears haven't had 60 point WHL scorers on their 4th line...

Reactions: TB12 and AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Certainly the biggest upset since the adoption of the 8 team tournament.
Panthers played near perfect hockey and solid goaltending. Thought for sure the Dinos would make a comeback in the third but were caught panicking with the puck.

Glad the hometown fans got to see at least one win. Organizers have to be happy.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Impressive showing by UPEI.
Watched the last half of the game after landing in Seattle.
UBC and MRU had more high-end skill then Calgary...but Dinos played a staunch defensive game all season.
UPEI got lead and had crowd behind them.
Major challenge for U of A tomorrow.
Don't be surprised if we end up with all AUS-Final with Tournament in the Atlantic!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Certainly up there with Acadia over Alberta (2017) and Western over Saskatchewan (2020) for biggest upset in 8-team format.

Panthers played almost a flawless game. Their big guns stepped up and I thought they played physical without going over the “line”.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Certainly the biggest upset since the adoption of the 8 team tournament.
Panthers played near perfect hockey and solid goaltending. Thought for sure the Dinos would make a comeback in the third but were caught panicking with the puck.

Glad the hometown fans got to see at least one win. Organizers have to be happy.
It's a big upset, but it shows that seeding means little when it comes to getting it done.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Impressive showing by UPEI.
Watched the last half of the game after landing in Seattle.
UBC and MRU had more high-end skill then Calgary...but Dinos played a staunch defensive game all season.
UPEI got lead and had crowd behind them.
Major challenge for U of A tomorrow.
Don't be surprised if we end up with all AUS-Final with Tournament in the Atlantic!
Forbie said the plan was to bring a forecheck Calgary probably hadn't seen this season: fast and physical. The uCalgary communication guy I was talking to in the press box said early in the game, "I didn't know PEI was this fast." Dinos looked completely out of sorts under pressure in the first period.

Forbie said the plan was to bring a forecheck Calgary probably hadn't seen this season: fast and physical. The uCalgary communication guy I was talking to in the press box said early in the game, "I didn't know PEI was this fast." Dinos looked completely out of sorts under pressure in the first period.
Forbie also said that got energy off the crowd (which was kinda obvious).

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I call this game tonight a perfect road game for UPEI. They had an aggressive forecheck and smothered CAL chances. Capriotti was solid and didn't need to be spectacular.

Credit to the coaching staff for coming up with the game plan and extra credit to the players for executing almost to perfection.

ALB is a different animal than CAL and wondering if lightning can strike twice.

But first UQTR-UNB. That should be a very good game.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Game Day !!

UNB vs UQTR @ 1 and UPEI vs ALB @ 7.

Damp day on the Island.

I expect the UNB game to be more up-tempo then was CON. I can't see UQTR playing the trap.

ALB can offset the UPEI forcheck by moving the puck up quickly, something that CAL didn't do.

Reactions: Rob and FreddyFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Have UPEI and Alberta ever played?

In the last 20 years the Bears have played - and lost - to every active AUS team at the University Cup, except the Panthers.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The late game is the most intriguing one for me. Alberta looked great in game one, but Windsor was likely the eighth-best team in this tournament. No disrespect to the Lancers, but I saw every team in the OUA West this season, and they certainly didn't dominate that division. Alberta also got three PP goals on the early major, which certainly would have flipped some game plans.
IMO, UPEI would have easily been the top seed and heavy favourite if they played the season in the OUA West. So, are they closer to that top tier than we think? Did Calgary just lay an egg, and the Panthers executed a great game plan? Is Alberta underrated? So many questions will get answered tonight.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The late game is the most intriguing one for me. Alberta looked great in game one, but Windsor was likely the eighth-best team in this tournament. No disrespect to the Lancers, but I saw every team in the OUA West this season, and they certainly didn't dominate that division. Alberta also got three PP goals on the early major, which certainly would have flipped some game plans.
IMO, UPEI would have easily been the top seed and heavy favourite if they played the season in the OUA West. So, are they closer to that top tier than we think? Did Calgary just lay an egg, and the Panthers executed a great game plan? Is Alberta underrated? So many questions will get answered tonight.
The UPEI forecheck worked to perfection. I'm surprised CAL had no answer. I don't think that will happen tonight.

Stan Marple will be in the top row shouting instructions like he did last night.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have repeatedly stated this was an actual "rebuilding" season at Alberta.
They will down multiple regulars today...on a team light on depth...
UPEI is healthy.
Playing at home.
Panthers are the favorites!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well hopefully tomorrow’s final is a more pleasant affair.

Tough game to pick. Both teams loaded with first year players and have injuries. Looking forward to a fast game.

Will be interesting to hear what coach Herbers has to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad