2023 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What happened tonight in the 2nd period is something that should not happen at the CIS championship level.

To " blatantly" run the goalie is bad enough, but then to sucker punch him is worse. UPEI lost their composure in the 2nd period and reverted to form.

I'm torn over the decision by Herbers not to shake hands post game. He's probably correct that something "bad" may happen and he obviously doesn't want any guys suspended. But, teams always shake hands.
I'll leave it there.

In the Bronze game if UPEI is down a couple of goals and not doing well, it could turn into a shitshow.

UQTR are no shrinking violets when it comes to greasy stuff and would be perfectly happy to entertain the Island folks with an old fashioned donnybrook.

A large portion of the UPEI crowd are Q fans who have no understanding of CIS hockey, so a fight would be great.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
What happened tonight in the 2nd period is something that should not happen at the CIS championship level.

To " blatantly" run the goalie is bad enough, but then to sucker punch him is worse. UPEI lost their composure in the 2nd period and reverted to form.

I'm torn over the decision by Herbers not to shake hands post game. He's probably correct that something "bad" may happen and he obviously doesn't want any guys suspended. But, teams always shake hands.
I'll leave it there.

In the Bronze game if UPEI is down a couple of goals and not doing well, it could turn into a shitshow.

UQTR are no shrinking violets when it comes to greasy stuff and would be perfectly happy to entertain the Island folks with an old fashioned donnybrook.

A large portion of the UPEI crowd are Q fans who have no understanding of CIS hockey, so a fight would be great.
Herbers is no rookie coach making tbat decision in the heat of the moment. That was a carefully calculated move to show his players that he has their back.
In a game of that importance, with experienced referees, I can only imagine the garbage that wasn't called to end up with 10 PPs.
As a coach, I have zero issue with Alberta not shaking hands. Yes, respect your opponent, but not if they show zero respect to you.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Being there, it certainly felt like a big middle finger on the way out more than a "safety issue". Can't use that card if you're going to make gestures on the way off the ice and make a scene of it. It went both ways. Panthers were not innocent. They definitely tried to bring the game into the trenches. I have no dog in this fight (just working the event). Inferior opponent doing everything they could to get back into it. Safety concern? No. Just classless. Start, middle, and finish. Both ways. Truthfully, Alberta played it like pros until the very end.....

On a playoff scale.... animosity was at a 2/10 by the end of it.... especially after UPEI breaking the shutout by scoring late.... Gave the fans something to cheer about. Shake hands and go home. Give me a break with the safety BS. It's a politically safe answer that few will question, but that I thought it was a weak/petty move.

It didn't need to be a scene. I'm sure people will show up tomorrow just to booo and throw things on the ice or cause a scene. Didn't need that. Don't need that. Hope it doesn't happen. Could have been avoided by just proving once and again you're the better team and shaking hands at centre ice.... Is that so hard? Really? Safety? Give me a f***** break.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Being there, it certainly felt like a big middle finger on the way out more than a "safety issue". Can't use that card if you're going to make gestures on the way off the ice and make a scene of it. It went both ways. Panthers were not innocent. They definitely tried to bring the game into the trenches. I have no dog in this fight (just working the event). Inferior opponent doing everything they could to get back into it. Safety concern? No. Just classless. Start, middle, and finish. Both ways. Truthfully, Alberta played it like pros until the very end.....

On a playoff scale.... animosity was at a 2/10 by the end of it.... especially after UPEI breaking the shutout by scoring late.... Gave the fans something to cheer about. Shake hands and go home. Give me a break with the safety BS. It's a politically safe answer that few will question, but that I thought it was a weak/petty move.

It didn't need to be a scene. I'm sure people will show up tomorrow just to booo and throw things on the ice or cause a scene. Didn't need that. Don't need that. Hope it doesn't happen. Could have been avoided by just proving once and again you're the better team and shaking hands at centre ice.... Is that so hard? Really? Safety? Give me a f***** break.
I didn't see the middle finger thing until I got back to the hotel and was looking thru Twitter.

Was that Herbers?

If so, it was uncalled for.

ALB were the better team.
WSR didn't run the goalie when they were down 7-0.
CAL didn't run Capriotti when they were down 4-1.

Take your lumps and get ready for next game.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Game Day !!!

UPEI vs UQTR @ 1 for Bronze

ALB vs UNB @ 7 for Gold

The sun is out today,

UPEI will certainly want to get a medal and will play hard. At least with a 1 pm game the fans will have less time to get a load of beer in them and may be less rowdy.

I hope UNB-ALB lives up to my expectations as a fast-paced, skillful game. Both teams are young with vets from last years loss, so I think the balance is even.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Herbers is no rookie coach making tbat decision in the heat of the moment. That was a carefully calculated move to show his players that he has their back.
In a game of that importance, with experienced referees, I can only imagine the garbage that wasn't called to end up with 10 PPs.
As a coach, I have zero issue with Alberta not shaking hands. Yes, respect your opponent, but not if they show zero respect to you.
To your point on "experienced refs", the 2-2-2-10 call was incorrect.
Should have been 2 for Goalie Inf, a Match and Game Misconduct.
While the end result was the same - Beauregard was out of the game - 2 min for a sucker punch signals that it's not all that bad.
If UPEI had managed to tie the game, Beauregard could have played in OT after serving his 16 min.
I heard from a reliable source that the HC Referee assessor guy was not pleased with that call.
Needless to say, that ref won't be doing either game today.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
While I agree handshakes are gentlemanly and the hockey way despite animosity, I find myself supporting Herbers' decision. That was a bush league incident and with emotions running high and a number of players that play on that edge on UPEI...I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Seems to be a polarizing topic.

I am hoping Kreuger gets his chance to play today, and if not I am sure an ex-NHLer can fill in admirably :).

Best of luck to two storied franchises and two good, young teams.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Just saw the replay with the Beauregard sucker punch….should get at least a few games for that. Bush league stuff there..

I'll leave it there.

It doesn't look good on the Panthers, but it looks like the event has been a success at the gate.
UPEI has been a good host and I can definitely see the University Cup coming back to Charlottetown in the near future.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Seriously? Sounds like a bit of an overreaction to me.
If you watched the game it wasnt. UPEI really wasnt interested in playing hockey yesterday, presumably because they were so frustrated at being totally outclassed. And they knew it. As a result they spent the majority of the game, hacking, wacking, attempting to injure & getting into fights. What Herbers says, though I didnt like the non shaking initially, makes sense.
Harkens me back to the Forsberg brother assholes a few years ago in the semis (for Sask) who put forth a similarly pathetic display.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

I don't agree with that. UPEI spent basically the whole game attempting to injure. It was clear their coach had zero control over his team (or maybe he did). It would not have been a shocker if the shit hit the fan in the handshake.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta vs UNB
Most likely the two most skilled teams in the country.
Alberta coming in averaging 39 shots and 5.11 goals per game in CanadaWest.
PP ran at 26.9%, PK 82.8%.
Kruger (G) .923 save percentage, 2.00 GAA.
They are battle tested facing an upstart UBC program, before losing a close final with #1 Calgary.
Adam Hall and Ryan Hughes could be out of the lineup?

UNB averaged 43.5 shots per game, including 4.47 gpg average. PP ran at 27.6% (2) , while the PK ran at 90.8% (7). Sam Richard (G) .933 save percentage. 1.59 GAA (1).
Key losses on the backend with Landry and McCullum out.

Both teams have speed, skill and good goaltending. IMO, UNB is going to have to disrupt the smooth transition play of Alberta and keep the skilled forwards on the perimeter.
UNB's forecheck needs to be at it's absolute best, attacking the net and keeping out of the box will be key.
IMO, I don't think Kruger has been tested in this tournament.
To close to call.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't agree with that. UPEI spent basically the whole game attempting to injure. It was clear their coach had zero control over his team (or maybe he did). It would not have been a shocker if the shit hit the fan in the handshake.
Fans here in the rink are all rumbling about Herbers and the non-hand shakes. Vocal ones can't wait to boo Herbers tonight. Feel Islanders have been disrespected.

Have only heard one person so far bring up the cheap shot.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Fans here in the rink are all rumbling about Herbers and the non-hand shakes. Vocal ones can't wait to boo Herbers tonight. Feel Islanders have been disrespected.

Have only heard one person so far bring up the cheap shot.
Well, Islanders been disrespected is stupid. Arguably their team However.
Kinda funny no one’s mentioned the bullshit. That’s sports though
And your a lucky guy. That part of the world (the whole east coast area of Canada ) is just a wonderful part of the world.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Bush league

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230319-121611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230319-121611_Chrome.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: TB12

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
"Islanders have been Disrespected"?

Somehow Alberta are the bad guys after yesterday's game?

Imagine how UNB fans would feel watching their team...headed to the U Cup Final...getting run and slashed by an out-of-control UPEI team in the 3rd period...culminating with a UPEI player running and then sucker punching a goalie...who to that point hadn't given up a goal in the Tournament?

BUT.
No doubt today Alberta will by the "Bad Guys".

UNB has a very good program.
So does Alberta.
The Golden Bears had a deeper team last season...
Dove-McFalls and Rassell were good USports players...but they are AHL call-ups.
Noah Philp is 3rd in Bakersfield (AHL) with 15 goals...he is a legit prospect (6'3", right-shot Center) who has a shot at getting NHL games next season!
The Bears also had Grayson Pawlenchuk and Gary Haden who were good offensive players and D Clayton Kirichenko who was a 60-point D in the WHL.

UNB is deeper this season IMO...and Alberta will also be down multiple players.

This will mark the 4th consecutive U Cup Final Alberta has played in:

2018: Beat ST. FX 4-2
2019: Lost 4-2 to UNB (USports Player of the Year, Luke Philp broke his ankle 8 mins into the game, the same Luke Philp that has played for Chicago in NHL this season)
2020: Tournament Cancelled (*Alberta didn't qualify, outshot UBC 92-34 in the 2 losses in 3-game series loss to UBC)
2021: No season
2022: Lost 5-4 Double OT to UQTR, outshot Les Patriotes 70-40.

2023: ?

Frankly Alberta getting to the U Cup Final is a bonus IMO.
Didn't expect it this season.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
To your point on "experienced refs", the 2-2-2-10 call was incorrect.
Should have been 2 for Goalie Inf, a Match and Game Misconduct.
While the end result was the same - Beauregard was out of the game - 2 min for a sucker punch signals that it's not all that bad.
If UPEI had managed to tie the game, Beauregard could have played in OT after serving his 16 min.
I heard from a reliable source that the HC Referee assessor guy was not pleased with that call.
Needless to say, that ref won't be doing either game today.
I would take it a step further 2 mins goalie interference 5 minute match deliberate attempt to injure Game misconduct gross misconduct travesty of the game

Reactions: timbitca

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I didn't see it like that. I've seen hundreds of hockey games and series with more hatred and animosity that still ended in a respectful handshake. Panthers played undisciplined and even dirty at times. Not even going to argue that. No evidence of anything spilling over though. It was pretty tame at bench level especially after defeat was realized in the final few minutes. Alberta team handled it to perfection during the game and botched it after IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad