2023 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Game 1 in the books. UQTR with a solid 4-1 win over SMU.

1st period was "fairly" even but UQTR carried the play most of the 2nd and almost all the 3rd.
Only 2 penalties called, both 4 min for HS , 1 each team.
UQTR is a very quick team. Whoever plays them Sat will have a game.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UQTR coach Hubert got asked a couple of times during the post-game about les Patriotes slow start. His answer (in French) was interesting:

At Nationals there is a "rhythm". No offence to Concordia, but UNB is the best program in the country and Saint Mary's had a good series against them. So they came into this game with that rhythm. We had to catch up and find that rhythm, which we started to do late in the first period.

Whereas Naugler said that UQTR is a good team, and killing off that 4 minute penalty in the first period got the Huskies back on their heels a bit.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Hosts were scrambling a bit to have everything set up for the fans for the first game this morning at the Eastlink Centre. Lots of last minute stuff, but it all came together.

One not so great thing. All of the teams have their equipment in cages set up in the convention centre part of the building across the concourse from the rink. Nothing gets left in dressing rooms. So teams have to move all their gear in and out of the dressing rooms for each game. Lots of extra work for the team equipment guys.

Also, there is no media room. (I know, wah!, wah!). So no where to drop your stuff and/or chat with other media. The web broadcasters are in one press box and the other small box is for the scorer and media with teams playing game. They haven't arranged seats for the non-broadcasting media, as is usually the norm, so you end up wandering around to find a place to sit. I ended up standing with some UPEI alumni in the bar area (their version of the Colter Room, but no seats).

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
The dressing room situation sucks, but it is what it is and it's likely to be that way from here on out (until the next format change...) not a lot of rinks that have access to 8 rooms big enough to host varsity teams. Us equipment guys are usually the afterthought to the afterthought.

The media situation sounds a bit lame though, no reason for that to happen. Also, it's the first time I can remember (at least the times my Coaches have attended since I've been in charge in '15) that the host don't provide accreditations for Coaches/Staff of non-playing teams. They have to buy tickets like any other attendee.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The dressing room situation sucks, but it is what it is and it's likely to be that way from here on out (until the next format change...) not a lot of rinks that have access to 8 rooms big enough to host varsity teams. Us equipment guys are usually the afterthought to the afterthought.

The media situation sounds a bit lame though, no reason for that to happen. Also, it's the first time I can remember (at least the times my Coaches have attended since I've been in charge in '15) that the host don't provide accreditations for Coaches/Staff of non-playing teams. They have to buy tickets like any other attendee.
I think in Thunder Bay the situation was similar, except each team had a trailer out back to put their extra gear in. Teams could hang their stuff in the room but that was it. The rooms were tiny. Had to do skates out in the trailer.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB with a dominant first period but that changed quickly in the second. Concordia really had UNB hemmed in their own zone for long periods of time. Came down to the very last second when the Stingers almost tied it.

Reds D looking pretty susceptible right now. I'm sure Les Patriotes coaching have taken notice.

Note - Some nasty weather in Charlottetown right now.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB with a close 2-1 win over CON. UNB outshot CON by 10 and at times looked pretty good, but at the end of the day it was a 1 goal game.
CON is a good team who lost to UQTR.
Looking forward to the Sat afternoon game. I think UNB will have to up their game a bit.

In an unrelated event, Folye and I went to a pub which was "supposed" to be the UNB pub, but there were no UNB'ers there. Instead, the entire SMU team and one of their coaches were doing Karaoke.

I may have said this before but the players take a loss better than the fans.
If you're a fan, respect your team for what they do and if they lose, move on. Don't be overly critical or overly defensive.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I like the way the refs have handled both games so far. They are "letting the players decide the game" without letting it get out of control. makes for a good flow, players can be physical and I can be entertained.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB with a dominant first period but that changed quickly in the second. Concordia really had UNB hemmed in their own zone for long periods of time. Came down to the very last second when the Stingers almost tied it.

Reds D looking pretty susceptible right now. I'm sure Les Patriotes coaching have taken notice.

Note - Some nasty weather in Charlottetown right now.
On a positive note, they held Concordia to 14 shots, most likely the lowest shot total Concordia has had all year?
On the other hand, not many times that UNB has been held to that low of a shot total (25).
Should be a dandy on Saturday.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The first games of Nationals are a challenge, especially for teams with lots of rookies. You really do have to play in it, to experience it, as Gardiner said last night, to survive to play again.

Talking to a UPEI fan yesterday and he questioned why the AUS finals are best of three, instead of a one-game winner take all. Less chance of injuries, plus the single elimination format better prepares you for what happens at Nationals. I think he has a point.

And to add to AUS Fan, it was interesting to see the SMU players having a karaoke night to close out the day as a team.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
How were the crowds yesterday? Hard to tell on TV when it looks so dark.
BIg crowds in the afternoon as they bussed in school kids. Half full, maybe, for the evening game.

I will say the weather has not been good, which might be discouraging some casual fans driving to the rink. Did see lots of UNB fans who made the trek, and UNB Alumni had a table set up to distribute scarves, thunder sticks, pins, stickers, etc.

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
BIg crowds in the afternoon as they bussed in school kids. Half full, maybe, for the evening game.

I will say the weather has not been good, which might be discouraging some casual fans driving to the rink. Did see lots of UNB fans who made the trek, and UNB Alumni had a table set up to distribute scarves, thunder sticks, pins, stickers, etc.
Not like that one year at UNB where the temp was about 70 degrees and blazing sunshine. That's my kind of Spring hockey weather. Or conversely in Saskatoon where it was -70. Or Edmonton.

How were the crowds yesterday? Hard to tell on TV when it looks so dark.
The kids will be there again today. Expect a full house tonight as the 'byes' dock the lobster boats, load up the Silverado and head to the big city.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I missed the five minute major. Was it an open ice hit or boarding?
A crushing hit on the boards and he almost left his feet when he made the hit. The player had his back to the boards and took the hit on the chest and head. No arguments from me on that call. I like big clean hits, but the thing is - at that speed and location - the big hit can be out of control.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I didn't have 7-0 on my Bingo card. The Major penalty was deserved and resulted in 3 more goals. Take away the PP goals and it's a 2-0 game.

I'm glad ALB is "rebuilding" as Bob calls it. Hate to see them just retooling.

Not wanting to project, but this is a team that played CAL in 3 OT games in CW final.
Expect CAL to be just as good???? idk, that's why they play the games.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
A crushing hit on the boards and he almost left his feet when he made the hit. The player had his back to the boards and took the hit on the chest and head. No arguments from me on that call. I like big clean hits, but the thing is - at that speed and location - the big hit can be out of control.
I couldn't really see the hit from where I was sitting, but it certainly made a loud bang.
That certainly became the turning point of the game - 3 goals on the major and Windsor was toasted.

Not like that one year at UNB where the temp was about 70 degrees and blazing sunshine. That's my kind of Spring hockey weather. Or conversely in Saskatoon where it was -70. Or Edmonton.

The kids will be there again today. Expect a full house tonight as the 'byes' dock the lobster boats, load up the Silverado and head to the big city.
The kids were there until 2:00 pm today, so partway through the 3rd period. Certainly made a difference in the crowd noise, especially when they got the music they liked.

Reactions: Drummer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad