2023 University Cup

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
I didn't see it like that. I've seen hundreds of hockey games and series with more hatred and animosity that still ended in a respectful handshake. Panthers played undisciplined and even dirty at times. Not even going to argue that. No evidence of anything spilling over though. It was pretty tame at bench level especially after defeat was realized in the final few minutes. Alberta team handled it to perfection during the game and botched it after IMO.
Till you see the guy in the handshake line these guys aren't pros they're barely past being teenagers and most have short fuses at the best of times

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Till you see the guy in the handshake line these guys aren't pros they're barely past being teenagers and most have short fuses at the best of times
At the pro level the league will say bad boy market it to show the intensity of the playoffs in usports everyone involved gets suspended leaving yourself shorthanded in the biggest game of the year

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
"Islanders have been Disrespected"?

Somehow Alberta are the bad guys after yesterday's game?

Imagine how UNB fans would feel watching their team...headed to the U Cup Final...getting run and slashed by an out-of-control UPEI team in the 3rd period...culminating with a UPEI player running and then sucker punching a goalie...who to that point hadn't given up a goal in the Tournament?

BUT.
No doubt today Alberta will by the "Bad Guys".

UNB has a very good program.
So does Alberta.
The Golden Bears had a deeper team last season...
Dove-McFalls and Rassell were good USports players...but they are AHL call-ups.
Noah Philp is 3rd in Bakersfield (AHL) with 15 goals...he is a legit prospect (6'3", right-shot Center) who has a shot at getting NHL games next season!
The Bears also had Grayson Pawlenchuk and Gary Haden who were good offensive players and D Clayton Kirichenko who was a 60-point D in the WHL.

UNB is deeper this season IMO...and Alberta will also be down multiple players.

This will mark the 4th consecutive U Cup Final Alberta has played in:

2018: Beat ST. FX 4-2
2019: Lost 4-2 to UNB (USports Player of the Year, Luke Philp broke his ankle 8 mins into the game, the same Luke Philp that has played for Chicago in NHL this season)
2020: Tournament Cancelled (*Alberta didn't qualify, outshot UBC 92-34 in the 2 losses in 3-game series loss to UBC)
2021: No season
2022: Lost 5-4 Double OT to UQTR, outshot Les Patriotes 70-40.

2023: ?

Frankly Alberta getting to the U Cup Final is a bonus IMO.
Didn't expect it this season.
Alberta down multiple players? Hughes and Hall went down in game 1, but Hughes returned to the bench.
So, who else is Alberta down.
UNB lost 2 solid defensemen for the remainder of the year, during the AUS playoffs.

NorthKoreanHockeyFan

Feb 25, 2020
Happy to see UPEI lose in the bronze medal game. They've been a bunch of douchebags for a few years now - seeing one of their players run and sucker punch the Alberta goalie is not surprising at all. It's shocking it took 2 games, not getting every single call go their way at home must've been what made them so mad.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If you watched the game it wasnt. UPEI really wasnt interested in playing hockey yesterday, presumably because they were so frustrated at being totally outclassed. And they knew it. As a result they spent the majority of the game, hacking, wacking, attempting to injure & getting into fights. What Herbers says, though I didnt like the non shaking initially, makes sense.
Harkens me back to the Forsberg brother assholes a few years ago in the semis (for Sask) who put forth a similarly pathetic display.
I remember them. Absolutely correct.

Curious why the team just didn’t sit him out. Bad look on their part IMO.
Bad look has already happened. Too late now.

Reactions: timbitca

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Alberta down multiple players? Hughes and Hall went down in game 1, but Hughes returned to the bench.
UNB lost 2 solid defensemen for the remainder of the year, during the AUS playoffs.
I think Bears have Dman Mcleod out. Not sure how long thats been.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Glad to see UPEI score today and keep it close. It was a fun game to watch, both teams hitting hard.

The refs kept a good handle on things.

I was at ice level for the handshake and it looked "genuine". Lots of smiles, pats and general sportsmanship that you would expect.
I don't know if Forbie laid down the law, but it was good to see. Last night would not have been.

It doesn't look good on the Panthers, but it looks like the event has been a success at the gate.
UPEI has been a good host and I can definitely see the University Cup coming back to Charlottetown in the near future.
The only reason for the success at the gate was their win on Friday night.

Reactions: timbitca

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Neither Hughes nor A. Hall played last night….according to the boxscore. If they’re still out that means Alberta will have MacGregor/Wiebe/Trolley back in again…essentially a whole line of non-CHL guys. They probably wouldn’t play much given the TV timeouts…but I think UNB would have a decent advantage up front in that case. I expect Kruger to be back in there though.

Just hoping the Reds D can hold up for another game…those five guys have been logging a lot of minutes.

Re/ Attendance…it probably hasn’t hurt that 7 out of the 8 games have featured an AUS team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Attendance has only been real good for the two UPEI evening games. Afternoons they bussed in school kids like most hosts. Yesterday's UNB - UQTR game wasn't much more than half full. Today's bronze game less than that.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Attendance has only been real good for the two UPEI evening games. Afternoons they bussed in school kids like most hosts. Yesterday's UNB - UQTR game wasn't much more than half full. Today's bronze game less than that.
One year in Alberta the final was on Monday so the bulk of the tournament was Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Serious question to those who have a clue.. Did UPEI play that stupid all year long or was yesterday an anomaly?

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The Bears played today's final without 2 top 6 FWDS and a top 4 D.
Ryan Hughes got concussed on the 5-minute major...had a Point-per-game this season.
Adam Hall suffered an LBI...he had 20+ points this season.
D-man Wyatt McLeod also had 20 points this year.,,he has an illness.
UNB is deeper...and through 2 periods...one goal better.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The Bears played today's final without 2 top 6 FWDS and a top 4 D.
Ryan Hughes got concussed on the 5-minute major...had a Point-per-game this season.
Adam Hall suffered an LBI...he had 20+ points this season.
D-man Wyatt McLeod also had 20 points this year.,,he has an illness.
UNB is deeper...and through 2 periods...one goal better.
Its also 3 game's in 3 days for Bears.
UNB played Thursday but not Friday.
Just sayin.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Alberta was exhausted in the end.
Solid showing by Golden Bears in a rebuilding year.

But.
UNB was better.

Congrats to the V-Reds.

Have a great summer!
Great showing by Alberta, for sure. But, can we please toss the idea that this was a "rebuilding year" for the Bears? It might have met the definition of rebuilding by their standards, but not by the standards of virtually every other program in the country.
Loads of credit to Alberta, as always, but not exactly a plucky underdog story! 🙃

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
It's a shame that the game was only available on a webcast, think it should be televised nationally!
The conversion of CIS to Usports has been a dud. Time to reconsider their approach. Not that long ago Sportsnet won a bid which included a national multi-platform approach including national coverage.

Reactions: Prov1X

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Alberta was exhausted in the end.
Solid showing by Golden Bears in a rebuilding year.

But.
UNB was better.

Congrats to the V-Reds.

Have a great summer!
If you look at both rosters, UofA had 11 first years and one 4th year, UNB had 12 first years with one 4th and one 5th year. I believe that Gardiner said that this was his youngest team ever to win a championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad