WJC: 2023 Team USA Roster Talk

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Our top two goalies is going to be a battle for the net with both having very good seasons, and then the last two options are having bad seasons and are battling to make the team as the third goalie.
Again, I'm very biased as a Saginaw fan but how is Andrew Oke having a bad season? He's 5-2 with a 3.15 GAA in a league that the scoring average is 3.70 per game. He had a rough couple of starts to begin the season but in his last five, he's 5-0 with a 2.01 GAA. Plus he proved that he could handle himself in the Edmonton tourney and parlayed that into a great stint with the Red Wings at the draft pick scrimmages and at their main training camp. The OHL is a very offensive league and Oke is on a hot streak heading into the World Jrs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Again, I'm very biased as a Saginaw fan but how is Andrew Oke having a bad season? He's 5-2 with a 3.15 GAA in a league that the scoring average is 3.70 per game. He had a rough couple of starts to begin the season but in his last five, he's 5-0 with a 2.01 GAA. Plus he proved that he could handle himself in the Edmonton tourney and parlayed that into a great stint with the Red Wings at the draft pick scrimmages and at their main training camp. The OHL is a very offensive league and Oke is on a hot streak heading into the World Jrs.
I'm not telling you what to believe, but what I believe is that SV% under .900 in any league is a bad season. Don't care who you are or what league it is.

He's not that close either to the other goalie on his team in SV% and he plays a lot less games. Maybe you are biased as you state, and we all are at times, but be real about this. You don't believe Oke is some future NHL'er, do you? The goalies for our World Junior team should be the level of goalies that have a good chance to play in the NHL. He's only in contention for the team because the 2003's goalies suck, the 2004's aren't that much better and their best goalie hasn't been on the ice consistently the last few years. The other guy that could get the 3rd spot Muszelik shouldn't be making the American WJC team either. He's probably been worse than Oke.

Reactions: QJL

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
well its not like the USA Hockey doesnt have a history of not taking under agers- they usually have way more success on Canada anyway so its fair play for him
Not nessasarily an underager in my opinion - it’s all subjective though. He is an 18 year old for this tournament, and since he is a late birthday he Is a first time eligible this year.

I define underager for this tournament as kids who are in their 17 year old season or younger - but that’s just me, some people define it as 18 year old or younger.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
He's 18. Apparently he's just not good enough to crack the American team. Luckily for him Canada seems to have room for him.

Fantilli has already represented Canada at the U18s. He is ineligible to play for the U.S. at this tournament.

More importantly, is Fantilli even a dual citizen?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'd leave Peart at home, but still bring 8 defenseman.

Behrens - Hughes
Buium - Casey
Mittlestadt - Chesley
Hutson, Ufko

If we get skinny at F, I think Casey and Hutson could both sub in up front as necessary. This group has a lot more talent on D than at F IMO, and I'd rather we have injury backups on our backend.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think we could see some interesting cuts. Rosters are going back to 23 players (instead of the 25 we've had in the COVID era) and yet USAH has 32 players at camp, which signals they're undecided on more of the roster than normal.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Fantilli has already represented Canada at the U18s. He is ineligible to play for the U.S. at this tournament.

More importantly, is Fantilli even a dual citizen?
Why would people even bring up the subject of Fantilli and USA. Repeatedly, consistently ??!! He isn’t even American doesn’t have have any American connection other then playing in the UShl and university . What is this nonsense ?? Plus he already played for Canada at an iihf tournament locking him up for Canada

Must be sarcasm

• Haha
Reactions: EquivalentStay

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Why would people even bring up the subject of Fantilli and USA. Repeatedly, consistently ??!! He isn’t even American doesn’t have have any American connection other then playing in the UShl and university . What is this nonsense ?? Plus he already played for Canada at an iihf tournament locking him up for Canada

Must be sarcasm
To set the record straight, ONE guy had some funny ideas about eligibility and he has continually doubled down on it. Everyone else either wants him to admit he was wrong or is going with it in a sarcastic way. This is the internet after all. :laugh:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Mittelstadt over Peart would be a baffling decision
Peart left a really sour taste in my mouth in August. Just way too much sloppy, selfish play, and it looked like the game was moving too fast for him.

I'm sure he'll make the team and do just fine, but if I was picking the team I'd be looking for an excuse to cut him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
1670585204580.png

Maybe he does have a good shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Casey’s shot at making the team is a bit of a longer one based on the roles of the defense. He’s there to play the same exact role as Ufko, so I can’t see any way they both make it. Ufko is also a year older. Then there’s Behrens who is likely tougher competition to make it. Casey shoots right and Behrens left, but little difference due to that Behrens would probably pair with Hughes anyway, and can play right.

First PP will likely be Hughes.

Could Hutson be left off? Not impossible, but most figure he’s on the team towards the bottom of the roster and running the second PP.

So then if you have Hughes PP1 and Hutson PP2. Peart is also a guy who might figure onto the PP, probably as the third guy onto it.

So where’s the role for Casey? I guess it’s possible he takes the spot of Hutson or they go with Hutson and Casey/Behrens/Ufko, but as good of a season as he’s having, his shot to make the team isn’t extremely high.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The moment you try to fit players into roles instead of just picking the best players, you are doomed.
I would say that is generally true. I believe we are the stage where we can simply select the most talented players and make it work but I'm not sure USA Hockey sees it that way. They seem to be stuck in the mode of constructing a team patterned on roles and what not. That said, I'm not sure we're a contender this year, even with the absence of Russia. The clear strength of the team is a mobile, puck moving defense which is competant in it's own zone. Is there enough up talent front to capitalize? I think there are some equestions there. We lack that one guy that stirs the drink (ala Zegras) that we've had in year's past. Goaltending is a major questions mark.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Sam Lipkin came into camp on a roll, 10 points in his last 5 games. I think he's the wildcard here. Former captain, can take faceoff, responsible defensively...

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I am not sure that I agree with guys who downplay our chances this year. Augustine has been on fire this year, defence looks solid as F and even we need many younger guys to step up in offence, I am optimistic that it happens. 2004 group is an extremely talented group and many of them look excellent during their first NCAA season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad