WJC: 2023 Team USA Roster Talk

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Please elaborate. What parts of his defensive game are good. I have a hard time finding Michigan games yet I have ESPN+, just wondering where you are able to watch Boston University games

if you want to watch Michigan games you need Big 10 plus, it's the streaming service for the big ten network. ESPN+ this year just added the Hockey East (CBS sports had it for years) and they continue to carry the ECAC.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
if you want to watch Michigan games you need Big 10 plus, it's the streaming service for the big ten network. ESPN+ this year just added the Hockey East (CBS sports had it for years) and they continue to carry the ECAC.
I have the Big 10 channel so I catch a few games but not plus. It seems last year I caught almost all of them.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
While Oke got off to a rough start, he's 4-0 in his last 4 with a 2.26 GAA and .913 save percentage. Saginaw has two good goalies in Oke and the starter Tristan Lennox (Isles draftee) and both are playing extremely well this year. It was a rocky start for both but the team was playing ZERO defense and giving up odd-man chances like crazy. Now, the team is settling in a bit and both goalies are making some crazy saves including this one over the weekend that got Oke the "save of the night."

Sorry to quote my own post but as a Saginaw fan I'm biased for Oke to make it (and get serious playing time). He's now 5-0 in his last 5 with a 2.01 GAA and .923 save percentage. He also got another "save of the night" against fellow Team USA forward Sasha Pastujov.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The U.S. National Junior Team’s preliminary roster is expected to be unveiled Dec. 5, with Team USA holding camp in mid-December at USA Hockey Arena before embarking on their trip to Atlantic Canada for the main event starting Dec. 26 against Latvia in Moncton, New Brunswick.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Losing interest in these boards. Maybe this tournament will reignite it.

Camp Roster prediction:

Forwards (x16):

Jackson Blake
Kenny Connors
Logan Cooley
Dylan Duke
Cutter Gauthier
Ryan Leonard
Sam Lipkin
Chaz Lucius
Cameron Lund
Rutger McGroarty
Sasha Pastujov
Red Savage
Will Smith
Jimmy Snuggerud
Charlie Stramel
Ty Voit

Defense (x10):

Sean Behrens
Shai Buium
Seamus Casey
Ryan Chesley
Ty Gallagher
Luke Hughes
Lane Hutson
Jack Peart
Roman Schmidt
Ryan Ufko

Goalie (x3):

Trey Augustine
Kaiden Mbereko
Andrew Oke
Notes:
• At forward I think the picks should be fairly straightforward. I'm sure there will be a couple of surprises or people up in arms of preferences between fairly similar players, but generally, this should be an easy group to pick.

• The defense group should also be straightforward except the RHD. A year ago, a guy like Gallagher seemed like he'd be a shoo-in for the team, but now you wonder if he even gets a camp invite. Casey and Ufko are putting up a lot of points but we're not going to take a whole roster of small offensive defensemen, and it's tough sledding already with Peart and Behrens as returnees and Hutson having a dynamic year. I've never been a fan of Schmidt but I can see the staff gravitating toward him and his size in a shutdown role. I'm a fan of Chesley and while he's not playing a big role for the Gophers, I think he might get a look because he's an RHD.

• Goalies are simple. It's not a good group but it should be the returnees along with the best and most talented of the bunch in Augustine.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Losing interest in these boards. Maybe this tournament will reignite it.

Camp Roster prediction:

Forwards (x16):

Jackson Blake
Kenny Connors
Logan Cooley
Dylan Duke
Cutter Gauthier
Ryan Leonard
Sam Lipkin
Chaz Lucius
Cameron Lund
Rutger McGroarty
Sasha Pastujov
Red Savage
Will Smith
Jimmy Snuggerud
Charlie Stramel
Ty Voit

Defense (x10):

Sean Behrens
Shai Buium
Seamus Casey
Ryan Chesley
Ty Gallagher
Luke Hughes
Lane Hutson
Jack Peart
Roman Schmidt
Ryan Ufko

Goalie (x3):

Trey Augustine
Kaiden Mbereko
Andrew Oke
Notes:
• At forward I think the picks should be fairly straightforward. I'm sure there will be a couple of surprises or people up in arms of preferences between fairly similar players, but generally, this should be an easy group to pick.

• The defense group should also be straightforward except the RHD. A year ago, a guy like Gallagher seemed like he'd be a shoo-in for the team, but now you wonder if he even gets a camp invite. Casey and Ufko are putting up a lot of points but we're not going to take a whole roster of small offensive defensemen, and it's tough sledding already with Peart and Behrens as returnees and Hutson having a dynamic year. I've never been a fan of Schmidt but I can see the staff gravitating toward him and his size in a shutdown role. I'm a fan of Chesley and while he's not playing a big role for the Gophers, I think he might get a look because he's an RHD.

• Goalies are simple. It's not a good group but it should be the returnees along with the best and most talented of the bunch in Augustine.
You're a good poster don't leave us.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This is the roster I'd pick right now based on my projected camp roster. Obviously, the camp will play a big role in who makes the team though.

Forwards (x14):

Dylan Duke - Logan Cooley - Jimmy Snuggerud
Cameron Lund - Cutter Gauthier - Chaz Lucius
Sasha Pastujov - Kenny Connors - Ty Voit
Red Savage - Charlie Stramel - Will Smith
Sam Lipkin, Rutger McGroarty

Defense (x8):

Sean Behrens - Luke Hughes
Jack Peart - Shai Buium
Lane Hutson - Roman Schmidt
Seamus Casey, Ryan Chesley

Goalies (x3):

Trey Augustine
Kaidan Mbereko
Andrew Oke​

There's a lot of talent on the team no doubt, but given how many young guys they are likely relying on (i.e., Cooley, Snuggerud, Gauthier, etc.), the shakey RHD situation, and the goalies, I'm not that optimistic on their chances. If they can get into the medal games that'd be a win and from there, anything can happen, but I don't think this is a gold medal game or bust team like has been the norm in recent tournaments. Augustine is the best of the goalies by far. He's young, and he didn't do that well the last time he was asked to play up (IIHF U18s), but you have to give him the net and go with his potential. Mbereko and Oke might get you passable goaltending at their best and that's not good enough.

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
This is the roster I'd pick right now based on my projected camp roster. Obviously, the camp will play a big role in who makes the team though.

Forwards (x14):

Dylan Duke - Logan Cooley - Jimmy Snuggerud
Cameron Lund - Cutter Gauthier - Chaz Lucius
Sasha Pastujov - Kenny Connors - Ty Voit
Red Savage - Charlie Stramel - Will Smith
Sam Lipkin, Rutger McGroarty

Defense (x8):

Sean Behrens - Luke Hughes
Jack Peart - Shai Buium
Lane Hutson - Roman Schmidt
Seamus Casey, Ryan Chesley

Goalies (x3):

Trey Augustine
Kaidan Mbereko
Andrew Oke​

There's a lot of talent on the team no doubt, but given how many young guys they are likely relying on (i.e., Cooley, Snuggerud, Gauthier, etc.), the shakey RHD situation, and the goalies, I'm not that optimistic on their chances. If they can get into the medal games that'd be a win and from there, anything can happen, but I don't think this is a gold medal game or bust team like has been the norm in recent tournaments. Augustine is the best of the goalies by far. He's young, and he didn't do that well the last time he was asked to play up (IIHF U18s), but you have to give him the net and go with his potential. Mbereko and Oke might get you passable goaltending at their best and that's not good enough.
The defence looks pretty spot on. Can see some mixing and matching in that top four, but that's almost certainly the group they rely upon, with Hutson's ice time depending on whether he can move the needle against this level of competition. Agree that Schmidt makes sense from a roster construction perspective, as does Chesley probably, even if he's not only had a quiet year but a not particularly impressive one, at least when I've watched the Gophers. Only question on the camp roster would be whether Gallagher has enough of a chance to make the team to warrant an invite, or whether an 04 like Rinzel or maybe even Healey or Dorrington gets that last spot in case they show enough to slot into the 8 spot.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The defence looks pretty spot on. Can see some mixing and matching in that top four, but that's almost certainly the group they rely upon, with Hutson's ice time depending on whether he can move the needle against this level of competition. Agree that Schmidt makes sense from a roster construction perspective, as does Chesley probably, even if he's not only had a quiet year but a not particularly impressive one, at least when I've watched the Gophers. Only question on the camp roster would be whether Gallagher has enough of a chance to make the team to warrant an invite, or whether an 04 like Rinzel or maybe even Healey or Dorrington gets that last spot in case they show enough to slot into the 8 spot.

Rinzel is out of it. He'll be with Team USA at the World Junior A Challenge which runs until the 18th.

I definitely see Gallagher in play. A year ago most would have had him on the team, myself included. He didn't have a great start to the season statistically, but he has the tools to play a bottom pair role. If the team isn't comfortable only taking 1 RHD (and they shouldn't be), it'll be really interesting to see who makes it. I'm not a Schmidt fan but he's probably the likeliest RHD to be on the team. After that, it'll be interesting. Do they opt for Casey or Ufko for their offense? Chesley or Gallagher for their steady two-way play knowing they'd be asked to be in more of a defensive role here? Or to your point, does a guy we're not even thinking about get in play or do they just lean into LHD? What they decide to do with RHD, or the bottom 4 if they go heavy LHD, is the most interesting part of the roster build IMO.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don’t know. Minnesota fans have said Chesley has been very good. He plays a small role on the best team in college hockey on a team that has a lot of good upperclassmen defensemen. Next year he should get a bigger role.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don’t know. Minnesota fans have said Chesley has been very good. He plays a small role on the best team in college hockey on a team that has a lot of good upperclassmen defensemen. Next year he should get a bigger role.
Don't know about "very good".

Ok/fine is where I'd have him.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Rinzel is out of it. He'll be with Team USA at the World Junior A Challenge which runs until the 18th.

I definitely see Gallagher in play. A year ago most would have had him on the team, myself included. He didn't have a great start to the season statistically, but he has the tools to play a bottom pair role. If the team isn't comfortable only taking 1 RHD (and they shouldn't be), it'll be really interesting to see who makes it. I'm not a Schmidt fan but he's probably the likeliest RHD to be on the team. After that, it'll be interesting. Do they opt for Casey or Ufko for their offense? Chesley or Gallagher for their steady two-way play knowing they'd be asked to be in more of a defensive role here? Or to your point, does a guy we're not even thinking about get in play or do they just lean into LHD? What they decide to do with RHD, or the bottom 4 if they go heavy LHD, is the most interesting part of the roster build IMO.
Fair points on Gallagher, and maybe I'm too quick to lump him in with the other smaller RHD, as he's a bigger and safer player than Ufko or Casey, even if he doesn't address the lack of size in that medley of third pairing options. But to your point, maybe he is a sort of contingency if Schmidt, as it's hard to imagine them not taking at least one 03 RHD unless Chesley has a really strong camp.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Thx! Bringing my wife and 3 kids. Wife would like to do something other than games. Anything we shouldn’t miss?

Not really lol. A lot of the "cool" or can't miss stuff about Moncton and NB are nature based and if it's cold outside or bad weather I doubt anyone is going to be too interested in them. If you can, a trip to Fundy (about 45 minutes away) is usually nice even just for the drive.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Not really lol. A lot of the "cool" or can't miss stuff about Moncton and NB are nature based and if it's cold outside or bad weather I doubt anyone is going to be too interested in them. If you can, a trip to Fundy (about 45 minutes away) is usually nice even just for the drive.

You're not going to send him and his family to Magnetic Hill? What kind of Monctonion are you? LOL.

I'm coming to you as a 67s fan - any way Tyler Boucher makes the U.S. squad this year (or gets a camp invite?). A friend and I were having a debate. I think he's a guy you want on your team, warts and all, as he's (1) 19 years old, almost 20 in fact, (2) very physical and a punishing bodychecker at this level, (3) knows his way around the o-zone, with a terrific shot. I could see him ride shotgun on the wing with some higher-skilled, more offensively adept guys as he'd be able to clear some space for them on the ice, focus on puck retrieval and net-front presence, and has the ability to finish.

Arguments to the contrary are lack of discipline, inability to translate his overtly physical game to the international game with IIHF refereeing, lack of defensive focus (he wouldn't necessarily be a good checker or shutdown player), or simply that the Americans have better options at the wing position. I'm interested in hearing the views of Americans on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00