2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs General Discussion

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Please, don’t give me the CBA bull shit that LTIR is part of the agreement. If a player can play but they keep him out until playoffs, that’s not within the agreement, that’s breaking the rules, but apparently no one gives a shit
It is the agreement… like it or not it is stipulated. Also Stone had back surgery jan 31. He was realistically ahead of schedule of his recovery. But by all means cook, just know you’re screaming into the wind in a tornado.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't remember if it was in 32 thoughts or the Marek show but they talked about how the NHL was watching them closely with the Stone situation to make sure it was legit.

The NHL actually warned all the teams after the Kucherov comeback in Tampa...I know that they warned Montreal the year after when Weber went on LTIR to not try to bring him back for the playoffs.
"Watching them closely."

Look, I'm not about to scream for LTIR to change because I know it will never, ever change. There is no desire for it to change.

However, if anyone actually believes the NHL was watching Vegas and - specifically - Mark Stone closely to ensure they weren't abusing LTIR then I've got a bridge to sell them.

Mark Stone was ready to play before the playoffs. Just like Nikita Kucherov was ready to play before the playoffs. Just like Patrick Kane was ready to play before the playoffs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
A really simple fix would be to say in the playoffs that you have to ice a cap-complient roster. You can bring guys back if they are healthy, so the team is over the cap in the playoffs; but you can only ice players that combine for the cap or less for any given game.

Reactions: CaleMakaw

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
A really simple fix would be to say in the playoffs that you have to ice a cap-complient roster. You can bring guys back if they are healthy, so the team is over the cap in the playoffs; but you can only ice players that combine for the cap or less for any given game.

That doesn't work because that defeats the purpose of the trade deadline, which was the more traditional way to circumvent the cap. Say you had a roster $2M under the salary cap and you banked cap space all year until the trade deadline, which means you get bring in a player or players with a $8M combined salary give or take a million. Well, if you add up all the salaries of the team including the pricey acquisitions, you would be $6M over the cap on day one of the playoffs. But the fact that you can bank cap space for the regular season makes this cap maneuver completely acceptable to the point I've never heard anyone complain about it once.

The effects are even greater if the team is, say, $4M under the cap at the trade deadline. Then the team could add up to roughly $16M of salaries thanks to the banked cap space and how prorated cap accruals work. In this scenario, a team could quite legally be $12M "over the cap" for that playoffs if you just add up all the AAV.

Again, all of this is perfectly legal.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Please, don’t give me the CBA bull shit that LTIR is part of the agreement. If a player can play but they keep him out until playoffs, that’s not within the agreement, that’s breaking the rules, but apparently no one gives a shit
I mean technically it is within the agreement. Is it annoying? A little, but no rules were broken.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I mean technically it is within the agreement. Is it annoying? A little, but no rules were broken.
I don't remember if it was in 32 thoughts or the Marek show but they talked about how the NHL was watching them closely with the Stone situation to make sure it was legit.

The NHL actually warned all the teams after the Kucherov comeback in Tampa...I know that they warned Montreal the year after when Weber went on LTIR to not try to bring him back for the playoffs.

It is the agreement… like it or not it is stipulated. Also Stone had back surgery jan 31. He was realistically ahead of schedule of his recovery. But by all means cook, just know you’re screaming into the wind in a tornado.
I believe the LTIR rules are if a player can play, they can’t keep him out, and the league is supposedly starting to do a better job at monitoring teams who use LTIR but they really aren’t. I don’t believe for a second that Stone legitimately couldn’t play in the last few games of the regular season but he was suddenly good to go for the 1st game of the playoffs

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I believe the LTIR rules are if a player can play, they can’t keep him out, and the league is supposedly starting to do a better job at monitoring teams who use LTIR but they really aren’t. I don’t believe for a second that Stone legitimately couldn’t play in the last few games of the regular season but he was suddenly good to go for the 1st game of the playoffs
I mean Stone had back surgery in January and was back in what 3 months for the playoffs? He came back on time I’d imagine, if not early.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know there will be zero convincing here, so I myself am screaming into the wind. A 'few' games taken as 3 would put Stone playing on April 8th, 10 days prior to him playing. That'd put him ~9.5 weeks out from his back surgery vs 11. That's a world of difference in recovery. I without a doubt feel Stone's surgery was specifically timed the way it was to coincide with the season, but it doesn't mean that he was ready on April 8th or 11th or 13th.

Even watching Stone in the playoffs, he honestly never looked healthy. He's still an elite player at 80%, but his back is still an issue that'll probably end his career at 33/34.

Adding to this, the Avs are going to be doing the same this year. The Avs only said the regular season with Landy. If he shows up day 1 of the playoffs, a lot of crow will have to be eaten.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I know there will be zero convincing here, so I myself am screaming into the wind. A 'few' games taken as 3 would put Stone playing on April 8th, 10 days prior to him playing. That'd put him ~9.5 weeks out from his back surgery vs 11. That's a world of difference in recovery. I without a doubt feel Stone's surgery was specifically timed the way it was to coincide with the season, but it doesn't mean that he was ready on April 8th or 11th or 13th.

Even watching Stone in the playoffs, he honestly never looked healthy. He's still an elite player at 80%, but his back is still an issue that'll probably end his career at 33/34.

Adding to this, the Avs are going to be doing the same this year. The Avs only said the regular season with Landy. If he shows up day 1 of the playoffs, a lot of crow will have to be eaten.
I really hope that’s the plan/ how it plays out. Not sure this team can win it all without its leader.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
In other news - Happy Cup-iversery! One year ago we all got to watch this

IMG_5354.jpeg
IMG_5355.jpeg
IMG_5356.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad