HF Habs: 2023 Roster, Schedule & Standings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ok, so we had one of these last year, and it worked rather well, so we're bringing it back.

As Mods, we're generally against tank threads. They tend to be overly negative & it makes it difficult to differentiate between Montreal fans who just want to be bad this year, and trolls from other boards.

This is why we don't allow tank talk in GDTs. You're trolling those who want to cheer for the team regardless. This will be enforced again this year.

Last year, we used this thread to cheer for results we wanted in other games (Arizona won!), or losses we wanted (good god, we have to lose this game!)

We can talk about the roster here, and use this thread as an alternate GDT for those who want us to lose, lose & lose some more.

The team is expected to be bad. The 2023 draft is expected to be epic.

Discuss it here.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Good call.

Management is clearly NOT trying to win this season. Nobody's talking playoffs; it's all about two/three years from now. We haven't seen this kind of strategic vision since... um... actually, I don't remember ever seeing it.

That said, I still want the Habs to beat Toronto and Ottawa, just to shut up their fans.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Michel Therrien was saying it was a mistake to have 74 guys to begin this pre season…. I mean, I don’t know if he knows already, but to be ready to win game is far from the first objective. This team is full of dead wood. Those experience can continue all the rest of october if The management want. Next year, it gonna be more interesting, right now, there is no hurry

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Ok, so we had one of these last year, and it worked rather well, so we're bringing it back.

As Mods, we're generally against tank threads. They tend to be overly negative & it makes it difficult to differentiate between Montreal fans who just want to be bad this year, and trolls from other boards.

This is why we don't allow tank talk in GDTs. You're trolling those who want to cheer for the team regardless. This will be enforced again this year.

Last year, we used this thread to cheer for results we wanted in other games (Arizona won!), or losses we wanted (good god, we have to lose this game!)

We can talk about the roster here, and use this thread as an alternate GDT for those who want us to lose, lose & lose some more.

The team is expected to be bad. The 2023 draft is expected to be epic.

Discuss it here.
I applaud this initiative.

On the one hand, it will be a bit bizarre to read some of the posts.

"I think Adam Nicholas is no good, so I want him to work with the guys MORE".

"I think Gianni Fairbrother is not ready for the NHL whatsoever, so call him up and play him 25 minutes and send Guhle down!"

On the other hand, at least all the other threads will be spared posts that assume completely different measuring sticks from the normal ones that professional sports teams use, and thier fans are accustomed to.

• Haha
Reactions: Sterling Archer

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Michel Therrien was saying it was a mistake to have 74 guys to begin this pre season…. I mean, I don’t know if he knows already, but to be ready to win game is far from the first objective. This team is full of dead wood. Those experience can continue all the rest of october if The management want. Next year, it gonna be more interesting, right now, there is no hurry
Habs been doing that for years. This is embarrassing. When you read the full list you can tell who's gonna get cut. Never understood trying so many players . Do a rookie camp then just keep the interesting one deserving a chance in the actual camp.

Players like Gignac should not be playing pre season games. Cut the list to 40 and do actual work during the preseason. Man this is such a mess to look at. The coaching has been abysmal this preseason. Having 3 full teams sure doesn't help

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Good call.

Management is clearly NOT trying to win this season. Nobody's talking playoffs; it's all about two/three years from now. We haven't seen this kind of strategic vision since... um... actually, I don't remember ever seeing it.

That said, I still want the Habs to beat Toronto and Ottawa, just to shut up their fans.
And Florida and Boston

But that’s it…..they can go 0-55 with the rest of the league.

Then gimme one of Bedard, Carlsson or Fantilli and god willing ……..

1665398701703.gif

Allen with the Florida pick.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
And Florida and Boston

But that’s it…..they can go 0-55 with the rest of the league.

Then gimme one of Bedard, Carlsson or Fantilli and god willing ……..

View attachment 592168

Allen with the Florida pick.
Funny - Boston should be the obvious call, but their roster is looking like a Rolling Stones reunion tour. Plus, it's been awhile since we played a meaningful game against them.

As for Florida, I just them to lose, period. Nothing personal, just gimme that 1st-round pick!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Like anything Therrien says carries any weight...........lol
Grinda da puck boys............you are not dare............you guys are too soff.............this dude is such an idiot and does fit in with the media idiots that follow the team.

Rebuild, reset, re-construction etc has never, nor will it ever fit into what the media in Montreal want.
Drafting and developing and helping move towards a goal in a methodical fashion means nothing to some in Montreal.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I also think there was too many players in camp. One of the issues is the amount of pre season games and the schedule of those games. If you have to play 4 games in a week you have to carry a larger roster. I feel the roster should have been pretty much set before the last 2 games with the Senators.

Reactions: Big Lurk and BLONG7

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Things will be clear today.
I wonder if any others are put on waivers?
Other that Guhle what other D prospect makes the cut?

Is there a chance in hell that Drouin is a healthy scratch on opening night if all of the vets are available?

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Is there a chance in hell that Drouin is a healthy scratch on opening night if all of the vets are available?
Cap friendly has us at 33 players..............10 guys need to be removed.
Is today the day we find out? Or tomorrow?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Looking at D not sent down or waivers, we are looking at:
Matheson L Stays
Guhle L Stays
Barron R Down
Savard R Stays
Harris L Stays
Wideman R Stays
Leskinen L Down
Xhekaj L Stays
Kovacevic R Stays
- Eddy (IR) L

Reactions: Tyson

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I am still not sure Harris stays. He and Barron are both equally not ready.
I agree, I'm just picturing what management will do. I'd have every youngster in the AHL and claim Rielly and Myers to fill the lineup.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree, I'm just picturing what management will do. I'd have every youngster in the AHL and claim Rielly and Myers to fill the lineup.
You should have a plan. Not set in stone, but a plan nonetheless. Bring in around 3-4 new young players each year.

Here is my rough plan:

2022-23
Start with 3 rookies plus Kovacevic = Slaf, Ghoul, Jackeye
AHL development for Barron, Harris, Mesar, Primeau plus Heineman if possible
Bury Armia and Hoffman permanently
Extend Caufield, Harris and Pezzetta to kick in 2023-24
Trade Monahan and Dadonov for hopefully one late first
Contracts of Drouin, Byron, Ŀeskinen, Schueneman expire

2023-24
Graduate Heineman, Barron and Harris and by mid-season latest, a goalie (Primeau or Dobes)
AHL rookies Mailloux, Roy, Kidney, Farrell, Trudeau, Hutson
AHL continued for Mesar, Liga continued for Kapanen
Bury Savard and Wideman
New 2023 draft picks likely play Junior or in Europe
Extend Barron and Xhekaj to kick in 2024-25
Trade Edmundson for a late first
Contracts of Hoffman, Wideman, Pitlick and Montembeault expire

2024-25
Graduate Mailloux, Mesar, Roy, Farrell
AHL rookies Beck, Engstrom, Kapanen
AHL continued for Kidney, Trudeau and Hutson
Sign two UFAs to fill any needs where our prospects have fallen short of hoped-for potential
2023 and new 2024 draft picks likely play Junior or in Europe
Extend Heineman, Guhle and Slaf and possibly Evans and Primeau to kick in 2025-26
Trade Dvorak early for a late first; decide whether to trade or extend Allen
Contracts of Armia, Savard, Pezzetta and Kovacevic expire

2025-26
Graduate Hutson plus top 2023 pick plus Beck plus maybe one more
Sign another UFA if needed
Extend Mailloux, Dach, Roy, possibly Dobes to kick in 2026-27
Trade Matheson for a first or second or other asset
Contracts of Kidney and Trudeau, and Price, expire

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Have they made their final cuts? I saw Bowey and Schueneman were waived so presumably they won't make the opening day roster.

They have to submit a cap compliant 23 man (or less) roster by 5 pm.

Bowey & Schue are already in Laval.

Still some moves to make.

Primeau assigned to Laval

On D:

I expect Mailloux to be moved to SOIR (Season Opening Injured Reserve) until he can be assigned to London. By signing him & putting him on SOIR, he actually gives us cap relief.

Edmundson to IR
Leskinen & Barron to Laval

7D: Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Wideman, Xhekaj, Harris & Kovacevic

Fowards:

Heineman to SOIR
Armia to IR

Slafkovsky, RHP & Ylonen to Laval (Slafkovsky can get recalled tomorrow)

14F: Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Gallagher, Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pezzetta, Dvorak, Dach, Pitlick, Evans, Monahan & Byron.

On Wednesday, Byron gets put on LTIR, and Slafkovsky is recalled from Laval.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Looking at D not sent down or waivers, we are looking at:
Matheson L Stays
Guhle L Stays
Barron R Down
Savard R Stays
Harris L Stays
Wideman R Stays
Leskinen L Down
Xhekaj L Stays
Kovacevic R Stays
- Eddy (IR) L

I switch Harris and Leskinen. Kovacevic #6, Leskinen #7, Harris 24 minutes in Laval with Barron.

They have to submit a cap compliant 23 man (or less) roster by 5 pm.

Bowey & Schue are already in Laval.

Still some moves to make.

Primeau assigned to Laval

On D:

I expect Mailloux to be moved to SOIR (Season Opening Injured Reserve) until he can be assigned to London. By signing him & putting him on SOIR, he actually gives us cap relief.

Edmundson to IR
Leskinen & Barron to Laval

7D: Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Wideman, Xhekaj, Harris & Kovacevic

Fowards:

Heineman to SOIR
Armia to IR

Slafkovsky, RHP & Ylonen to Laval (Slafkovsky can get recalled tomorrow)

14F: Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Gallagher, Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pezzetta, Dvorak, Dach, Pitlick, Evans, Monahan & Byron.

On Wednesday, Byron gets put on LTIR, and Slafkovsky is recalled from Laval.
What is the cap hit of all that? Mine, with Slaf and also Mesar and Barron replacing Harris and Xhekaj (for a day) came within $130k of max.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
You should have a plan. Not set in stone, but a plan nonetheless. Bring in around 3-4 new young players each year.

Here is my rough plan:

2022-23
Start with 3 rookies plus Kovacevic = Slaf, Ghoul, Jackeye
AHL development for Barron, Harris, Mesar, Primeau plus Heineman if possible
Bury Armia and Hoffman permanently
Extend Caufield to kick in 2023-24
Trade Monahan and Dadonov for hopefully one late first, anything at all for Drouin

2023-24
Graduate Heineman, Barron and Harris and by mid-season latest, a goalie (Primeau or Dobes)
AHL development for Mailloux, Roy, Kidney, Mesar cont'd, Farrell, Trudeau, Hutson
Bury Savard and Wideman
New 2023 draft picks likely play Junior or in Europe
Extend Barron, Xhekaj and Harris to kick in 2024-25
Trade Edmundson for a late first

2024-25
Graduate Mailloux, Mesar, Roy, Farrell
AHL for Kidney, Trudeau and Hutson cont'd, Beck, Engstrom, Kapanen
Sign two UFAs to fill any needs where our prospects have fallen short of hoped-for potential
2023 and new 2024 draft picks likely play Junior or in Europe
Extend Heineman, Guhle and Slaf to kick in 2025-26
Trade Dvorak early for a late first

2025-26
Graduate Hutson plus top 2023 pick plus Beck plus maybe one more
Extend Mailloux, Dobes/Primeau to kick in 2026-27
Sign another UFA if needed
I agree with the whole idea and even the players to bring up/ keep down. Going with what we've seen this pre season, only Guhle really showed he belongs. Harris and Barron aren't there yet. Xhekaj is interesting because he's on the fence. I would send him to the AHL to get a good winning experience instead of having him get burned and have to be the NHL enforcer when our boys get mauled. I'm torn on that.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Tankists sometimes lose the forest for the trees... it's not enjoyable to watch a crappy team play crap hockey. People lose interest, players who are fighting for contracts lose interest or worse get mad. Young players, especially defencemen and goalie, lose confidence. It's just awful all around. And worst of all: there's always the risk of turning into Deadmonton and Buffalose.

And as we've seen, there is hardly an immediate reward for a full year's worth of losing and tanking anyway. There's no guarantee that even the 1OA leads to any positive impact to the bottom line (w%/pt%/playoff round wins) in the foreseeable future. It could be a "bad draft year" , it could be a player that'll take a few years to get going (and by that point you have other holes to fill and have a net gain of 0), it could be a litany of excuses for why rebuilds get derailed.

I can't imagine MSL will be happy if the Habs' pt% is 0.125 or the win% is 0.00... I can't imagine he would retain his chippy, happy, positive, confidence self if he goes through a brutal 82 game marathon...

I think Tanking can be done for a maximum of 2 seasons. Any more leads to negative outcomes. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: bonneaug and Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad