Prospect Info: 2023 Rookie Faceoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What stood out to me the most about the Ducks this tournament is the size of this crop. Zellweger and Codd were the only below average size skaters. And the rest of the team was 6-2 to 6-3. It was quite noticeable in the board battles and confidence the team had in physical battles. They were probably a bit too much to handle for quite a few opposing defensemen in this setting.

It's a quick turn around for thr Ducks in that sense and I'm sure Pat is happy with that.

Pretty sure the Kings were even taller and heavier. Don't think they had a prospect shorter than 6'0 on the ice. A couple of lanky dudes maybe but mostly very big boys.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

In Derek's article, he wrote, "This tournament was also the first time that Noah Warren played games in a Ducks jersey. The defenseman has been hampered by injuries since being drafted by the Ducks in 2022 and was unable to take part in rookie camp last fall and development camp this past summer."

I dunno if Derek Lee was covering the Ducks full time last year, but Warren played at last year's rookie tourney. I remember his booming shot scored a goal from the blue line.

Here are a few articles denoting his presence at the 2022 rookie faceoff in San Jose.

=====

Derek covered all three goalies' shots saved. Alexander really had a bad outing. Check out his article to see how bad an outing it was.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don’t think it was sloppiness think it was a little fatigue setting in since he played 3 games in 4 days. What I saw from him in this tournament has me really excited.
I had similar concerns in the first game. Perhaps it was more obvious yesterday but it wasn't only yesterday.

Can't wait to see him in preseason games but I'll be looking to see if the pattern repeats.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Pretty sure the Kings were even taller and heavier. Don't think they had a prospect shorter than 6'0 on the ice. A couple of lanky dudes maybe but mostly very big boys.
Kings did have a few giants, however:

They had 8 guys 6'0 or shorter on their roster, though I didn't check on this specific lineup.

The Ducks just 4 with Codd, Zellweger, Terrance and Sidorov.

So the size matchups probably did more often favour the Ducks, matching the eye test.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I had similar concerns in the first game. Perhaps it was more obvious yesterday but it wasn't only yesterday.

Can't wait to see him in preseason games but I'll be looking to see if the pattern repeats.
He’s 18, there’s stuff to work on. It’s hard to think he’s not going to be a star at some point though

He’s going to be a legit 6’3 220 pounds in his prime and is a better skater than guys like Kopitar and Getzlaf. Easy to see what Verbeek and Co saw in him

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I didn’t take it as sloppiness even. Guys who try stuff are gonna turn over the puck sometimes, even a lot of the time. It’s the price you pay so they feel comfortable being creative. I’m sure he’ll clean it up as time goes on too.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I really hope Ducks fans don't do what NY fans did after passing on Fowler.

Fantilli is going to be really good. Be prepared for it.

Reactions: lwvs84

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Can't see a world in which that's remotely possible, unless Leo turns into like Martin Hanzal or something. Two very different scenarios.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Well, I still would have drafted Fantilli, but it looks like Carlsson is going to be a star too. This isn’t a Mcilrath situation, so we should be able to avoid that scenario.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
Not a sir :)

and also, I'm not wrong. Carlsson was the right choice. Why do we care about what Fantilli does? (well, I do, because I'm also a Jackets fan, but you know what I mean)
Ma’am this is a wendys

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
@Leonardo87 wrote:

"I don’t think it was sloppiness think it was a little fatigue setting in since he played 3 games in 4 days. What I saw from him in this tournament has me really excited."

If fatigue is setting in, then maybe Carlsson needs to be in the AHL for the season to adapt to playing a NA schedule of having more games played in 7 months. 82 games in the NHL and 72 games in the AHL. In the SHL, it is 55 games in a 7-month regular season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I didn’t take it as sloppiness even. Guys who try stuff are gonna turn over the puck sometimes, even a lot of the time. It’s the price you pay so they feel comfortable being creative. I’m sure he’ll clean it up as time goes on too.
It's very likely he will. I don't think he'd have played in the SHL otherwise, let alone as much as he did. It's very different style and system for him, so errors are to be expected. Sill, I did notice there were a lot of those, mostly on passes, and most of those felt like happened in simple plays. And remembering the lackluster play by him in the World's quarters that led to our GWG, I will still look for if that is a repetive pattern or not. :laugh:

He's obviously an amazing player. Everyone has their weaknesses.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'm one Ducks fan who preferred Carlsson over Fantilli. I'm also one of the Ducks fan who preferred McTavish over Eklund, Guenther, or Johnson.

I wonder where are all the comments that Ducks fans are upset that we picked McTavish today?

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Not a sir :)

and also, I'm not wrong. Carlsson was the right choice. Why do we care about what Fantilli does? (well, I do, because I'm also a Jackets fan, but you know what I mean)
Lies, women dont exist on the internet.
(I'm joking, please don't ban me MMC)

I'm one Ducks fan who preferred Carlsson over Fantilli. I'm also one of the Ducks fan who preferred McTavish over Eklund, Guenther, or Johnson.

I wonder where are all the comments that Ducks fans are upset that we picked McTavish today?
We are mature and admit that we were wrong and move on. Do you want me to make sure I state "I was wrong about McTavish" every time he comes up in conversation?

I wanted Fantilli.
I also wanted Eklund (I actually had Hughes as #1 in that draft, but thought the forward was the better choice).
I also wanted Rossi over Drysdale.
I also wanted Turcotte

Turns out none of us are professional scouts.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We are mature and admit that we were wrong and move on. Do you want me to make sure I state "I was wrong about McTavish" every time he comes up in conversation?

I wanted Fantilli.
I also wanted Eklund (I actually had Hughes as #1 in that draft, but thought the forward was the better choice).
I also wanted Rossi over Drysdale.
I also wanted Turcotte

Turns out none of us are professional scouts.

You kinda missed the point, yet proved the point simultaneously and not realized it. Why bring up Fantilli at all?

I preferred Carlsson, but wouldn't mind it if we picked up Fantilli as it's a 2a/2b option for me. They're different types of players who excel in what they bring.

We selected Carlsson. Carlsson is who we will root for to be successful. If Carlsson is successful, then Anaheim is successful. Right now, Carlsson had a successful rookie tournament exhibition. The knock on Carlsson's skating was disproven. Let's continue to find out what else Carlsson can do, now and into the future.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Athletic dispersed writers/scouts to cover many of the rookie tourneys, identifying particular players who stood out. Pronman covered the Vegas Venture and his pick for the Ducks was "Anaheim's Defensemen". That's a lot of loving!

Reactions: Static and Kalv

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I think Fantilli is the higher impact player right now, but I'm hoping that Carlsson has the higher ceiling and is the better overall player in 5 years.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kings did have a few giants, however:

They had 8 guys 6'0 or shorter on their roster, though I didn't check on this specific lineup.

The Ducks just 4 with Codd, Zellweger, Terrance and Sidorov.

So the size matchups probably did more often favour the Ducks, matching the eye test.

I forgot about Nousiainen who's obviously a midget. I checked their lineup and the Kings also played some rather small random ECHLer on the 4th line. Then they had Tschigerl, Pinelli, Ziemmer and Thorpe listed at 6'0. The rest of their lineup was taller, most of them significantly. The majority of their players was heavier than 200 lbs. No way the Ducks had a size advantage in this one. Kings were the bigger team and it wasn't close. Ducks beat the Kings with speed and skill. And better goaltending. Portillo was rather underwhelming to be honest.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Fantilli seems to be more “electric”. Will get fans jazzed

Carlson looks like he’s going to make other players and lines better

Someone said 2a/2b. Probably a good way to look at it

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Has anybody subscribed to AHL TV and can comment on the quality of the broadcasts? Maybe more specifically the Gulls games? I've watch one of their free days here and there. Most of the broadcasts I've seen were a step up from the rookie tournament but far from NHL level video coverage. Just wondering if it's worth subscribing this year.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest