Prospect Info: 2023 Rookie Faceoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Pronger was a power play QB and put up 50-70 points per year in the dead puck era. He would have been a point per game dman if he were around today. What makes you think Warren has that kind of offense?
Maybe he just mean
Big, mean, dirty bastard to play against !!

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
In the Ducks video where the Duckings exit the bus, Zellweger stood out with his posture. Feels like he could win some amateur bodybuilder competition if he wants :laugh: You can see he is clearly working on his strength, even visually compared with his peers he's jacked. He will never overcome the heigth, but it's clear he's working his ass off.

In the game it was funny, he was pushing one guy aroung (I think it was Cormier, another good D from the CHL) after he took a penalty vs him. And as he skated to the box, he slashed another player :laugh:. Reminds me of Montour and Vatanen a bit in that he just has no fear.

That being said, I'd totally expect a learning stint in San Diego for the most part this season. It's ok. Remember, he's Terry & Hvidston young as well

Reactions: lwvs84

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Honestly, I feel like the NHL pundits kind of did Leo a disservice by rating him an Average Skater. The only thing that Fantilli has over Carlsson, in terms of skating, is the explosiveness from a stand-still and that can fixed fairly easily. What Carlsson has over Fantilli is hockey IQ and that's something you can't teach to a player.
I've yet to see this so called lack of hockey IQ about Fantilli. Btw he had a 5 point game for Columbus rookie tournament.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Zellweger's skating was so far advanced for junior, he was able to get away with roaming. He'll be an elite skater even at the highest level, but the gap tightens and there are too many other elite skaters to burn you back the other way. It may take both him and Minty some time before their game's have matured enough in terms of efficiency, all just part of the process. Sometimes a guy is so talented, they are better off learning those lessons at the highest level.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I've yet to see this so called lack of hockey IQ about Fantilli. Btw he had a 5 point game for Columbus rookie tournament.
Agreed. Carlson’s might be higher, but Ducks fans are really getting defensive by calling Fantilli’s hockey IQ poor. No idea where that came from. He’s very likely to be a star in the NHL

Points alone says nothing about IQ.
It doesn’t but he’s not out there making unintelligent plays. He is a GREAT prospect

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
You don’t need to dump on other prospects just because PV chose Carlsson. There wasn’t a wrong choice there, and Carlsson is going to be a fantastic fit with Zegras.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Agreed. Carlson’s might be higher, but Ducks fans are really getting defensive by calling Fantilli’s hockey IQ poor. No idea where that came from. He’s very likely to be a star in the NHL

It doesn’t but he’s not out there making unintelligent plays. He is a GREAT prospect
The only things i read from scouts is that Fantilli at times look lost and make some strange decisions. But still in the 1st overall roam most other draft years. So a veeery high level. Almost flawless.

Leo has a lot to live up to. Offensivly i dont think he will. I still belive he is a better fit for the Ducks. Time will tell.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll say it again, can really give a crap with what Fantilli is doing or does. Only time I care is when he is playing against one of my teams.

I said before about Leo, he is not going to come out flying right out of the gate like some of the other Top prospects. It’s going to be painful reading the mains this coming season, but I’m prepared to people calling out the Ducks for passing on Fantilli.

In the end, I see Leo becoming the better overall player. Have a lot of faith in the kid, more than Zegras.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Will todays game be live streamed?

Edit: nevermind found it's available on the ducks site. Somehow the last place I looked

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I agree with this list, and I’d add Smith and Warren to mine, because I really didn’t have too high hopes for them, but they had a good showing. I was more unimpressed with Hinds then I thought I’d be.

I would not say Hinds was unimpressive. He met expectations as a stay-at-home D and put his performance ahead of both Smith and Warren. Hinds played RD in game 1 and LD in game 2. He needs to work on initial burst skating or better anticipation b/c he was getting beat at times when forwards are slash skating, but his length saved him. Yet, Along the boards or in front of the net on the PP, he met expectations.

Warren met expectations as well. Used his body well, but couldn't show off his booming shot on offense from the point.

Both Hinds and Warren were more dynamic in last year's rookie tourney (or my mind's playing tricks on me).

I liked what Smith showed and he's on the right path to reach Hinds and Warren territory. Swinging fists as advertised.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I would not say Hinds was unimpressive. He met expectations as a stay-at-home D and put his performance ahead of both Smith and Warren. Hinds played RD in game 1 and LD in game 2. He needs to work on initial burst skating or better anticipation b/c he was getting beat at times when forwards are slash skating, but his length saved him. Yet, Along the boards or in front of the net on the PP, he met expectations.

Warren met expectations as well. Used his body well, but couldn't show off his booming shot on offense from the point.

Both Hinds and Warren were more dynamic in last year's rookie tourney (or my mind's playing tricks on me).

I liked what Smith showed and he's on the right path to reach Hinds and Warren territory. Swinging fists as advertised.
Warren and Smith, although they won’t be star defensemen, have been a welcome addition to our blue line that we have been missing. Hopefully they get to that #4 dman level. Smith shows more nastiness but his balance isn’t as good as Warrens and you can see that when he is falling over during battles, missed hits, and fights. But for 6’5 these guys showed good athleticism to maybe become average NHL skaters who will suck to play against.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I only watched the 1st and 3rd game, but in game one Pitre was a nuisance, was everywhere and I think had a shorty. He was extremely disruptive and I think the end game for him is exactly what you described, just playing third fiddle to two superior talents on a line. He’s the Kunitz.

Gm 1 was the shortie from Pitre, with the assist from LaCombe. LaCombe blocked a pass down low intended for a Vegas forward in the dot area and it hopped over him and in front of Pitre. Pitre pushed the puck away from the Vegas D and ahead of himself knowing only he can catch up to the puck in space. It was a great move and backhand from Pitre. He was all over the place in Gm 1! Tenacious and relentless motor.

Gm 2 he wasn't as noticeable, but Terrance picked up his tenacity and motor for game 2.

Gm 3 Pitre was right back at it again. He literally scared a King into giving the puck up to Sidorov in front of the Kings' goalie with a hounding check!

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

Yeah I just expected more from Hinds which is probably why I was unimpressed, maybe I had my expectations too high. Not worried about him though, some seasoning in the AHL will do him good.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pitre? Really? I liked lots of guys in those games but Pitre is about the dead last I'd have listed. He was largely carried by Nesterenko and Carlsson. I didn't think he was very good himself, just lucky to play with the best forwards on the roster. Upfront I also liked Terrance, Sidorov and King. Terrance was impressive for a May 05 birthday. Myatovic had a very good game 3 at least. Rest of the forwards were invisible to underwhelming.

I gotta disagree with you on Pitre. He's doing what most forwards are still trying to learn: crash the net. Pitre was getting everywhere and got on the scoresheet. He created a breakaway shortie and gifted Sidorov with a puck in front of the Kings' net for a goal b/c of his puck hounding check on the King defender behind the net that caused a turnover.

Before the rookie tourney, I had no idea what Pitre could do on the ice. Now I know and I like it. More of that development please. Put on more mass and he'd be a great wrecking ball.

Reactions: Deuce22

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You’re brave. I was thinking about mentioning that too about Minty and Zell, but a lot of folks here expect these 19 and 20 year olds jump straight into the NHL. Both aren’t close to being ready and have shown inconsistent positioning and poor decision making in forcing plays and turning the puck over. Offensively they show great skating and skill but they need much more defensive development.

I’m waiting for those to get butt hurt and get defensive.
The only thing I'd question is what you mean by not close. I mean do I think they'll be ready after a month of AHL development? No. But do I think they're two or more years off? No.

Otherwise I agree. Unless they show a lot more in training camp, they should not make the team out of camp.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You’re brave. I was thinking about mentioning that too about Minty and Zell, but a lot of folks here expect these 19 and 20 year olds jump straight into the NHL. Both aren’t close to being ready and have shown inconsistent positioning and poor decision making in forcing plays and turning the puck over. Offensively they show great skating and skill but they need much more defensive development.

I’m waiting for those to get butt hurt and get defensive.

PV shared with us during the season (article) and after the season (at McIlvane's presser) that both Minty and Zell need to work on their defensive structures/game.

Gm 1
LaCombe-Luneau
Minty-Warren
Zell-Hinds

Gm 2
LaCombe-Luneau
Hinds-Port
Smith-Dionicio

Gm 3
Minty-Warren
Smith-Zellweger
Dionicio-Port

After the defense was split for game 2 and game 3, you could tell a big difference in defensive play. Game 2 goalie Alexander wasn't great, but Game 3 goalie Suchanek stood on his head and mimicked a magician as he appeared out of nowhere to make a save or two. Suchanek saved the D's asses out there. We were getting hemmed in our zone so often people watching the game thought we were watching last year's Ducks on the ice in game 3.

Game 1 was great as we had at least one good defensive-minded player on each pair.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I am glad that this tournament was played and that we could watch the stream. Hockey was back. Due to lack of practice time it was not a polished effort, but at least it was something.

It is premature to come to any conclusions based upon this sort of short tournament where you have players of varying levels of skill and development playing together. It is pretty clear, however, that most, if not all, of the players need more development. But that is not surprising since they range in age from very newly drafted 18 year olds to newly AHL eligible 20 year olds, to one 21 year old overage (King), and they are playing against a similar level of competition.

It will take me far more time and viewings to come to any real conclusions about most of the players. I am not going to get too high on any of them at this point in time, but at the same time I am not going to get too down on others who did not shine during this tournament. I still have hope for them all, although realistically many of them will not reach the NHL.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
What stood out to me the most about the Ducks this tournament is the size of this crop. Zellweger and Codd were the only below average size skaters. And the rest of the team was 6-2 to 6-3. It was quite noticeable in the board battles and confidence the team had in physical battles. They were probably a bit too much to handle for quite a few opposing defensemen in this setting.

It's a quick turn around for thr Ducks in that sense and I'm sure Pat is happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad