Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season- IX: Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield and his wife are both battling cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
And I was dead wrong.

I'm not sure why that means "accountability" has to be the #1 trait you're looking for from a new CBO. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think Bloom ever tried to escape being held accountable.

lets just hope those empty seats are a message to the sox if they attempt to sell a lemon and its going to be awesome

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm trying to figure out who you're talking about.

Devers and Casas were bad defensively this year, but they weren't Bloom acquisitions. Hernandez was, but they signed him to play CF, and he was only forced into playing SS due to injuries. Verdugo's one of the best defensive RFs in all of baseball. Duvall's a former Gold Glove winner. Yoshida's not great defensively, but he's not being played out of position. Wong's pretty good behind the plate. Valdez is pretty bad... but again, they weren't playing him out of position. Pablo Reyes, maybe... but he was only playing SS because they ran out of healthy bodies.

And what bad defensive players did they draft? I know some people had questions about what position Nick Yorke would play, but that was mostly because he lacked arm strength following shoulder surgery - not because he was a poor defender.

Stop.

There were fans that did this, but I don't think you can give me one example of Chaim Bloom doing it.
Come on man. Winter weekend. It's gonna be awesome. It happened.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
We need 2 starting pitchers. ( Stroman and Gray)
Sprinkle in one or two changes to the BP. ( Robertson and Hicks)
Move Whitlock to the pen full time.
Change KJ to set up role and make CM the closer.
Let Duvall walk - Sign Teoscar Hernandez, he loves hitting at Fenway.
Try to hang onto JT.
Need a short term upgrade at C. ( not much available, I like Gary Sanchez for power and his arm)
I have no clue what to do with TS, he had a horrendous year, albeit a very short season. We need his offensive game to return, 20HR and 70 RBI would be nice.
CF - he can be a hybrid player, looking forward to him playing a 140 games , can play SS/2B/OF
AV - trade him and get whatever you can for him, a nice AA prospect would be good.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I guess. I'm not sure I'd interpret Bloom's comments as an attempt to avoid accountability, though.
Well, in his mind I don't think he thought there was anything for him to be accountable for. But the part about touting prospects and what is on the horizon is true. That is really the only thing he could cling to.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

1695728960910.png

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Padres gonna trim the payroll down to $200 mill so you can assume Soto will be moved. Just awful asset management to give up so much to acquire him only to be enticed into giving worse players huge deals knowing his contract was coming up

Bogaerts has the most underwater contract in the league according to most valuations fwiw. Shoutout Snowman AJ Preller

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Xander Bogaerts still has a WAR of 4.4 and has rebounded to have a good year. But if "under water" is a new cool term, have it. If that's under water then the Boston Red Sox have already drowned at the SS position.

Maybe Marcello Mayer will elevate himself from being under water and looking for a lifeboat in the minors. Until then we have to suffer by watching Trevor Story try to hit a baseball.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Xander Bogaerts still has a WAR of 4.4 and has rebounded to have a good year. But if "under water" is a new cool term, have it. If that's under water then the Boston Red Sox have already drowned at the SS position.

Maybe Marcello Mayer will elevate himself from being under water and looking for a lifeboat in the minors. Until then we have to suffer by watching Trevor Story try to hit a baseball.

I wouldn't categorize Bogarts season as a good year.

19 Homers, 283 average is not bad. But 55 RBI? That's horrendous.

Batting average, OBP, SLG, OPS all well below his career averages.

Pretty sure Padres were expecting much more when they signed him to that ridiculous contract.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Pretty sure Padres were expecting much more when they signed him to that ridiculous contract.
It was still a good year. He had fewer homeruns last year. Not a great year at that contract but ended up being a good solid year especially what it looked like early in the season. Perhaps it took him a while to settle in. We'll see next year. Leads Padres in BA/hits. I would take his production on a ridiculous contract compared to Story's on a ridiculous contract.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It was still a good year. He had fewer homeruns last year. Not a great year at that contract but ended up being a good solid year especially what it looked like early in the season. Perhaps it took him a while to settle in. We'll see next year.

So Bogey jacks his numbers after the Padres fade out of the wild card race. Big deal. Not a good season.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So Bogey jacks his numbers after the Padres fade out of the wild card race. Big deal. Not a good season.
Lol ya that must have been what it was. Couldn't just be the ebbs and flows of a season, the first in a new spot. A 4.4 WAR is a good season. Fact not opinion.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Yeah they certainly aren’t getting value out of him and that’s just year 1. They were banking on getting surplus value for the first few years knowing the last few were a sunken cost

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah they certainly aren’t getting value out of him and that’s just year 1. They were banking on getting surplus value for the first few years knowing the last few were a sunken cost
Getting value is a completely different argument. So no they didn't get the best value for the contract, something that we are familiar with at SS. But the way he played 2nd half leaves room for optimism. The "under water" garbage is only taking into account how the first half of the year went.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Hard to score when not many runners get on base. It's also his first year in San Diego. Getting adjusted is still something that is a factor in a player's performance. Something people aren't taking into account with another player people seem to be writing off prematurely in Masataka Yoshida. The amount of travel Yoshida is doing cross country with the Sox is ten times more than he had to do in NPB and is something players coming over still have to get used to, among a myriad of other factors. Now imagine that in a place as spread out geographically as the NL West for the situation Xander Bogaerts is in. It's not an excuse or the only factor in both players' struggles, but it is a factor that does need to be taken into consideration.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Getting value is a completely different argument. So no they didn't get the best value for the contract, something that we are familiar with at SS. But the way he played 2nd half leaves room for optimism. The "under water" garbage is only taking into account how the first half of the year went.
In this case, "value" is the entire point.

Execs are saying that Bogaerts' contract is "under water" because they think he's unlikely to give the Padres $280 million worth of production over the course of the deal.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
In this case, "value" is the entire point.

Execs are saying that Bogaerts' contract is "under water" because they think he's unlikely to give the Padres $280 million worth of production over the course of the deal.
Almost every single free agent contract ever signed is "under water". We have this argument over and over and over.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So why does anyone sign free agents?
I completely agree. Why does anyone sign anybody then? If that's all people are gonna harp on is that a team will never see the production for the contract let's just do away with multi year deals. Let's have a yearly free for all where everyone is a free agent every single season and you can only sign one year deals.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Almost every single free agent contract ever signed is "under water". We have this argument over and over and over.
That's a dramatic overstatement.

Off the top of my head... Manny Ramirez didn't earn his free agent contract with the Red Sox? Or Max Scherzer with the Nationals? Greg Maddux with the Braves? Randy Johnson with Arizona? Vladimir Guerrero with Los Angeles?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You don’t want to have to build your team through free agency but there are absolutely good deals to be had out there, you just have to be shrewd about who you give the deals to

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
You don’t want to have to build your team through free agency but there are absolutely good deals to be had out there, you just have to be shrewd about who you give the deals to
I agree. Hopefully whoever is the next CBO is shrewd enough to avoid signing Trevor Story and Corey Kluber amongst others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad