Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season- IX: Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield and his wife are both battling cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
FWIW...

Breslow makes some sense for the Red Sox, and vice versa. But I don't think that means anything is settled or imminent.

Also seems weird to be hiring staffers when you haven't hired anyone to run the whole thing. I'd think that the organization would want to give the new PBO the chance to bring his/her own people.

Ya but I doubt BOH will get in the way. Seems like a decent yes man that has survived multiple GMs. When a new guy comes in I doubt they ever clean house. But they should certainly let the new guy surround himself with the people he wants. Or is Breslow the staffer you are talking about? I took this tweet to mean Breslow is a CBO candidate.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

In other words he doesn’t swing at bad pitches and when he makes contact- which is a lot- he crushes the ball

And hes 6 months younger than Jackson Holliday and he’s dominating AA in a short sample size

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sorry I missed seeing Dalbec strikeout 4 times yesterday.

The laughter would have done me some good.
some people wanted him to get a shot because of his numbers in Worcester but he’s literally the same player he always has been

He does have a chance to challenge for the AAA home run record if he sticks with it though. The next Hessman

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Fuld is a better, slightly more experienced, Bloom. No thanks.
Label me whatever you want after reading my reply...but honestly I still don't think Bloom was the biggest problem. I've said before that I would have been *alright* with him getting this offseason to show his mettle given what he stepped in to when taking the job. Remember, he was basically told to sell off Betts at a loss because ownership demanded he attach Price to the deal as well. To me it didn't matter who was in that seat, they were being set up to fail from the start.

He also seemed to have the directive to improve the farm system and that was done, to a certain degree. Now, I'm not spending nights lying awake wishing he were still in charge, but unless ownership gets the FOTW, it still won't matter who is in that chair because they're almost essentially going to have at least one hand tied behind their back at any given time.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Label me whatever you want after reading my reply...but honestly I still don't think Bloom was the biggest problem. I've said before that I would have been *alright* with him getting this offseason to show his mettle given what he stepped in to when taking the job. Remember, he was basically told to sell off Betts at a loss because ownership demanded he attach Price to the deal as well. To me it didn't matter who was in that seat, they were being set up to fail from the start.

He also seemed to have the directive to improve the farm system and that was done, to a certain degree. Now, I'm not spending nights lying awake wishing he were still in charge, but unless ownership gets the FOTW, it still won't matter who is in that chair because they're almost essentially going to have at least one hand tied behind their back at any given time.
I happen to agree. Fuld smells like another low-spending lackey to me.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I happen to agree. Fuld smells like another low-spending lackey to me.
They could bring in someone who wants to spend all the money in the world and it won't matter if ownership won't open the checkbook, and I happen to think that's what's largely being done right now. Mind you, I have nothing to base that opinion on besides my gut, but I just don't think they're wanting to open it.

I'm really not trying to sound like a Bloom apologist here, truly, I just think that it's smarter/proper to discuss and treat the root cause of an issue, and I just disagree that it was Bloom in this regard. It was/is the ownership group. Now, does that mean Bloom didn't have issues? Obviously he did, but I do think he got handed a shit sandwich and not the right set of tools to get out of it.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

This isn't just you but other people have tried saying his directive was to simply improve the farm system. That is a directive for Ben Cherington in Pittsburgh. If Bloom took this job thinking the only objective was to improve the farm system ranking he is very naive. Maybe he wasn't the biggest problem. It's certainly possible ownership is but he still didn't do a great job here. Bloom had the ability to spend and he signed Trevor Freakin Story to an awful contract and then he signed Yoshida. Yoshida is decent but a lot of people on here don't think he's a good fit on this team. The GM didn't seem to care about whether a player fits in to the rest of the roster.

I have gotten on ownership for not spending like they used to but in the end it Bloom still could have done better.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This isn't just you but other people have tried saying his directive was to simply improve the farm system. That is a directive for Ben Cherington in Pittsburgh. If Bloom took this job thinking the only objective was to improve the farm system ranking he is very naive. Maybe he wasn't the biggest problem. It's certainly possible ownership is but he still didn't do a great job here. Bloom had the ability to spend and he signed Trevor Freakin Story to an awful contract and then he signed Yoshida. Yoshida is decent but a lot of people on here don't think he's a good fit on this team. The GM didn't seem to care about whether a player fits in to the rest of the roster.

I have gotten on ownership for not spending like they used to but in the end it Bloom still could have done better.
I mean improving the farm wasn't his only directive, and I may have to find some time to go back and look at comments made by him/the team after his hiring, but I had thought it was said that part of his appeal at the onset was because they wanted to build a sustainable pipeline. So that would indicate that it was a priority of the ownership to rebuild that farm.

Doesn't mean that it was his only job, but it seemed to be a higher priority at the time of hiring.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I mean improving the farm wasn't his only directive, and I may have to find some time to go back and look at comments made by him/the team after his hiring, but I had thought it was said that part of his appeal at the onset was because they wanted to build a sustainable pipeline. So that would indicate that it was a priority of the ownership to rebuild that farm.

Doesn't mean that it was his only job, but it seemed to be a higher priority at the time of hiring.
I said it before but I don't think he did a great job rebuilding the farm. He added a bunch of SS that are athletics but haven't turned that into being good baseball players. When you do that you end up with the shit show that is the Red Sox defense because you draft guys at positions with the thought that they will move to another position and be fine when in fact most fail.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Fuld is a better, slightly more experienced, Bloom. No thanks.
Just out of curiosity... what ARE people looking for in the next CBO?

I said it before but I don't think he did a great job rebuilding the farm. He added a bunch of SS that are athletics but haven't turned that into being good baseball players. When you do that you end up with the shit show that is the Red Sox defense because you draft guys at positions with the thought that they will move to another position and be fine when in fact most fail.
None of Bloom's draft picks have played in the majors.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

Yea but let's not act like his thought process randomly stops in the minors. He did with the Red Sox what he did with the farm team which is add a bunch of guys that aren't good defensively and then made them play positions they normally don't.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Mostly stick to the same process, just maybe execute it better. I think Bloom put down a solid foundation.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Yea but let's not act like his thought process randomly stops in the minors. He did with the Red Sox what he did with the farm team which is add a bunch of guys that aren't good defensively and then made them play positions they normally don't.
I'm trying to figure out who you're talking about.

Devers and Casas were bad defensively this year, but they weren't Bloom acquisitions. Hernandez was, but they signed him to play CF, and he was only forced into playing SS due to injuries. Verdugo's one of the best defensive RFs in all of baseball. Duvall's a former Gold Glove winner. Yoshida's not great defensively, but he's not being played out of position. Wong's pretty good behind the plate. Valdez is pretty bad... but again, they weren't playing him out of position. Pablo Reyes, maybe... but he was only playing SS because they ran out of healthy bodies.

And what bad defensive players did they draft? I know some people had questions about what position Nick Yorke would play, but that was mostly because he lacked arm strength following shoulder surgery - not because he was a poor defender.

accountability. too often is poor play or bad moves deflected with saying their is some prospect might be good someday
Stop.

There were fans that did this, but I don't think you can give me one example of Chaim Bloom doing it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm trying to figure out who you're talking about.

Devers and Casas were bad defensively this year, but they weren't Bloom acquisitions. Hernandez was, but they signed him to play CF, and he was only forced into playing SS due to injuries. Verdugo's one of the best defensive RFs in all of baseball. Duvall's a former Gold Glove winner. Yoshida's not great defensively, but he's not being played out of position. Wong's pretty good behind the plate. Valdez is pretty bad... but again, they weren't playing him out of position. Pablo Reyes, maybe... but he was only playing SS because they ran out of healthy bodies.

And what bad defensive players did they draft? I know some people had questions about what position Nick Yorke would play, but that was mostly because he lacked arm strength following shoulder surgery - not because he was a poor defender.

Stop.

There were fans that did this, but I don't think you can give me one example of Chaim Bloom doing it.

well there was finally some accountability with those empty seats and Bloom being fired. you told a month ago or so his firing was not in the cards

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
well there was finally some accountability with those empty seats and Bloom being fired. you told a month ago or so his firing was not in the cards
And I was dead wrong.

I'm not sure why that means "accountability" has to be the #1 trait you're looking for from a new CBO. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think Bloom ever tried to escape being held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad