Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season II: Yamamoto to Dodgers As Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
From Sean McAdam's piece this morning:

In the aftermath of the Yamamoto news, one industry official was speculating on how the Red Sox might pivot to find the necessary starting pitching. When I suggested free agent Jordan Montgomery as a good fall-back option, the official scoffed and offered that even Montgomery would be too expensive for the Red Sox’s current budget plans.

Understand: the Red Sox are never going to bottom out the way Baltimore and Tampa Bay have. But neither are they committed to matching the Mets, Yankees and Dodgers the way they once were. Instead, they’ll act like part of baseball’s upper middle-class; just enough to suggest they’re still kind of, sort of interested in winning.
But that philosophy doesn’t square with a team that has no problem charging as much — if not more — for tickets than any other franchise in the game. And if this ownership is going to continue to mitigate its commitment to the fans, then maybe it’s time for fans to re-examine their own relationship to the team.

FWIW, I've been operating under the assumption that the Sox have been in in the midst of a franchise reset, and that more than anything has been the main reason why they haven't been a Top 5 payroll team over the past few seasons. But if the way they've conducted business over the past 4+ seasons isn't a means to an end - if this is the new normal... if this is FSG deciding that they don't have the financial might to match the likes of the Texas Rangers and Toronto Blue Jays - then they need to sell the team.
If this is all true, f*** all of them. Sell the goddamn team to an owner/ownership group that’s ACTUALLY interested in winning

Reactions: EvilDead and CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They won’t get away with it here - Boston fans and media will bash them 24/7

I grew up listening to angry Red Sox fans it is was relentless

They have no idea what awaits

We are operating under the assumption they spend but make bad decisions- if it’s they aren’t all in this will be a catastrophe for them

They are the 1995-2003 Bruins

This from McAdam how I see them so he basically verified it

Understand: the Red Sox are never going to bottom out the way Baltimore and Tampa Bay have. But neither are they committed to matching the Mets, Yankees and Dodgers the way they once were. Instead, they’ll act like part of baseball’s upper middle-class; just enough to suggest they’re still kind of, sort of interested in winning.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Eh, if they plan on getting Teoscar there’s not really any room for Garver. He’s basically DH-only at this point, very bad defensive catcher. Started only 41 games there the last 2 years. Yoshida would be full time DH.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
suggesting they sign Urias is f***in bananas, as if this teams PR isnt bad enough

I’d start rooting for the Yankees

This team may not have a choice but to sign him on a low risk contract. This team has become such an unattractive option that Urias may be a real possibility that the Red Sox have to consider since options like Yamamoto and Ohtani are off the table and so could Imanaga and Montgomery.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Eh, if they plan on getting Teoscar there’s not really any room for Garver. He’s basically DH-only at this point, very bad defensive catcher. Started only 41 games there the last 2 years. Yoshida would be full time DH.
If we're getting Teoscar I'd think that means we're gonna be moving an outfield, hopefully for starting pitching. Cause it'd be an awfully crowded group even with Yoshi at full time DH.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If we're getting Teoscar I'd think that means we're gonna be moving an outfield, hopefully for starting pitching. Cause it'd be an awfully crowded group even with Yoshi at full time DH.
Totally agree. Would be the smartest use of assets to maybe get a younger pitcher that fits their timeline better than a Montgomery or somebody

Reactions: dugg133

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This team may not have a choice but to sign him on a low risk contract. This team has become such an unattractive option that Urias may be a real possibility that the Red Sox have to consider since options like Yamamoto and Ohtani are off the table and so could Imanaga and Montgomery.

BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA

Can someone explain to me why they fired Bloom with still doing the same bullshit?

Scapegoat

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Can someone explain to me why they fired Bloom with still doing the same bullshit?
I’ve posted enough here about my thoughts on Bloom (mixed bag, I would have given him this offseason, but whatever, what’s done is done)…

But the answer is even clearer now than it was before—ownership is meddling to a large enough degree that the CBO can change, but things will remain the same so long as the current ownership remains in place.

Reactions: CDJ

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
No- letting Wacha & Eovoldi go who combined for 26-9 and signing Kluber 2-5

That is why Bloom fired

To say Breslow has done similar is silly

Be happy for me - he’s the guy on the HF text group I targeted 2 weeks ago

1703475091457.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.