Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season II: Yamamoto to Dodgers As Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I actually would love Turner back. He was great here.

I liked Turner, too. I always thought he was the unsung hero of the Dodgers teams in the teen years, but you can't just sign players in a vacuum, you have to take roster construction and else into account. Turner is not a good fit on this team, he actually never was. A team can only have one DH. If the Sox were allowed to field a line-up full of DHs, I'd approve it. Along with JD Martinez. But there's a reason why these two guys got traded for each other, but don't really have a bigger market.

Good baseball players in the year 2023-2024?

You absolutely CAN sign players with low stocks and hope they recover, but when that's all you do in a "full throttle" off-season and the other competitors (I guess no competition anymore) sign and trade for star players left, and you've been in last place in 3 out of 4 years, you should probably go a different route.

This penny pinching approach is pretty embarrassing, so even the last "loyal" front-office fans are now turning on them.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have no problem with the Red Sox being upper middle income and passing on a guy like Montgomery who I believe is a very good organizational fit

IF

There tickets were in the same tier as the AL Central

They need to be reduced minimum 1/3rd

Walk up grand stand should be 25-40

Walk up bleacher 10-25

They are delusional

Honesty is the best way

The problem is they asking for prime prices on select or choice cuts of beef

They are the kid selling bottled water at end of street for $2 when you can pick up a 40 pack at Costco for $4.99

There is a disconnect here folks

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Can someone explain to me why they fired Bloom with still doing the same bullshit?

Ownership needed a fall guy to feed to the mob. I won't be shocked if Breslow is given the same treatment after 3-4 seasons. Now I'm not saying Bloom was a great GM, but he executed what ownership wanted. When ownership fired DD less then a year after winning a WS, Henry talked about how they need to get under the CBT. He then went on to say about DD “we weren’t going to be on the same wavelength going forward.” Warner was quoted saying “One of the things we’ve talked about that I think is apparent is we need to have more depth in our minor league system."

Enter Bloom, who was tasked with cutting payroll and building up the farm system. Bloom did both of those things. Ownership however had a 3rd thing on their list. It wasn't a priority like the other two, but it was still a desire, and that was too be competitive. The problem is when your priorities are reducing spending and building up your farm.... how do you stay competitive? Your not going to bring in impact players via FA and since your building a farm your not looking to trade prospects to bring in talent.

Bloom & Co. did a good job of drafting hitters to add to the system. What they lacked was adding pitching (which had been a problem with the Sox even before Bloom). Hello Breslow! CB after a long career as an MLB pitcher was hired by the Cubs to support the organization's pitching infrastructure in Player Development and the major leagues. About 9 months later he was promoted to Director of Pitching & Special Assistant to the President & GM. His job was to focus on the club's minor league pitching infrastructure to help generate more homegrown impact pitchers.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Ownership needed a fall guy to feed to mob. I won't be shocked if Breslow is given the same treatment after 3-4 seasons. Now I'm not saying Bloom was a great GM, but he executed what ownership wanted. When ownership fired DD less then a year after winning a WS, Henry talked about how they need to get under the CBT. He then went on to say about DD “we weren’t going to be on the same wavelength going forward.” Warner was quoted saying “One of the things we’ve talked about that I think is apparent is we need to have more depth in our minor league system."

Enter Bloom, who was tasked with cutting payroll and building up the farm system. Bloom did both of those things. Ownership however had a 3rd thing on their list. It wasn't a priority like the other two, but it was still a desire, and that was too be competitive. The problem is when your priorities are reducing spending and building up your farm.... how do you stay competitive? Your not going to bring in impact players via FA and since your building a farm your not looking to trade prospects to bring in talent.

Bloom & Co. did a good job of drafting hitters to add to the system. What they lacked was adding pitching (which had been a problem with the Sox even before Bloom). Hello Breslow! CB after a long career as an MLB pitcher was hired by the Cubs to support the organization's pitching infrastructure in Player Development and the major leagues. About 9 months later he was promoted to Director of Pitching & Special Assistant to the President & GM. His job was to focus on the club's minor league pitching infrastructure to help generate more homegrown impact pitchers.
It was kind of a tongue and cheek question. But thanks for the reply.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fun fact, Teoscar had more strikeouts last year than Tony Gwynn had in the entire decade of the 1990s.
fun fact - I made 3 times more than my father when he retired yet their house they built is worth about 1.5 M, they had Bruins season tickets front row corner lodge, and a 32 cabin cruiser they kept at a Yacht Club

I don’t have a gambling drinking or drug problem and am not a big materials person- and live in a van down by the river

Well there you go - Red Sox priced out

It was kind of a tongue in cheek question. But thanks for the reply.
You know we are getting Giolito as the big FA and overpaid at that

• Haha
Reactions: CDJ

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

At least the guy wants to be here. More than you could say about David Price, who was another one of Tom Werner and John Henry's genius signings.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
They don’t make em like they used to!
Yeah, that piece of trivia speaks more to how otherworldly Tony Gwynn really was than to Teoscar's discipline. It's a different game now where batters have a different approach.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers signed Jonathan Arauz to a minor league deal.

I came across a list of the largest contract ever given by each franchise, and for the Oakland A's it's Eric Chavez from 2004. Unbelievable.

Reactions: CDJ

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Dodgers are in on anyone and everyone. Means nothing.
I came across a list of the largest contract ever given by each franchise, and for the Oakland A's it's Eric Chavez from 2004. Unbelievable.

The Oakland A's had a list of talented players that people like to conveniently memory hole for the whole Moneyball narrative. Chavez, Tejada, Swisher, Kotsay, Mulder, Zito, and Hudson.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

At least the guy wants to be here. More than you could say about David Price, who was another one of Tom Werner and John Henry's genius signings.

How did we get Lackey?

Was he a FA ?

Wells, Price, Darwin, Clement, Lackey?

Lot of guys who didn’t like Boston signed here

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
How did we get Lackey?

Was he a FA ?

Wells, Price, Darwin, Clement, Lackey?

Lot of guys who didn’t like Boston signed here

Lackey, Wells, and Clement never turned the entire fan base against them and were such a negative influence on the locker room like Price was. His stint in Boston wasn't an isolated incident, either. He was a d-bag in Tampa and Detroit as well.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dodgers are in on anyone and everyone. Means nothing.

The Oakland A's had a list of talented players that people like to conveniently memory hole for the whole Moneyball narrative. Chavez, Tejada, Swisher, Kotsay, Mulder, Zito, and Hudson.
Yup bang on

I rewatched Money Ball to see if they even mentioned the big 3

I’m in the minority probably but I would vote for Tim Hudson HOF

Just loved that guy

Lackey, Wells, and Clement never turned the entire fan base against them and were such a negative influence on the locker room like Price was. His stint in Boston wasn't an isolated incident, either. He was a d-bag in Tampa and Detroit as well.
Good point - the Eckersley stuff as well. I was maybe or 8th grade ? In HS when got Eck from Cleveland and I was ecstatic

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Yup bang on

I rewatched Money Ball to see if they even mentioned the big 3

I’m in the minority probably but I would vote for Tim Hudson HOF

Just loved that guy

Loved watching Hudson pitch. Guy kind of reminded me a bit of John Smoltz. He was a blast to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad