Patriots/NFL 2023 Off Season I - Jimmy Garoppolo headed to Raiders, where he’ll reunite with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
You are hoping for a second round pick value return from another team for exchanging first round position? Won't happen.

You want play the name-some-names game? Several players could drop several spots to 14. I expect the 14 pick player should be better than what follows and worth it, that's all.
Two years ago, the Giants dropped from #11 to #20 and picked up a future 1st, a 4th, and a 5th.

The price depends entirely on how big the move is. If they're moving from #14 to #25 or so, I would say a 2nd wouldn't be out of the question.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That's not much of a case for not trading down.
I don't need to sit here and wax poetic about what other pick we can accumulate by trading down. I'm not gonna do that. You certainly can. There are plenty of people here who love trading down talk. We've certainly been conditioned to it.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Am I crazy to think they need an athletic three-down linebacker more than anything else?
Isn't LB sort of a dying position in this era of football? At least if you're not a "rush" LB/elite cover guy. But with more and more DBs on the field at the same time it feels like teams are building with DL/rushers and DBs. I think you have to be a special LB to be prioritized in the draft. Kind of like the RB position. But I have no idea if there are any super prospects in the draft at LB.

Last edited:
Reactions: EverettMike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If I had to guess now, I'd say there's a 60%+ chance they trade down. I think the top guys will be gone by 14 (top OTs, top CBs, JSN), and there's not enough of a difference between the next 10 players to pass up on adding Day 2 pick to move down.
Is this Bill Belichick?

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Isn't LB sort of a dying position in this era of football? At least if you're not a "rush" LB/elite cover guy. But with more and more DBs on the field at the same time it feels like teams are building with DL/rushers and DBs. I think you have to be a special LB to be prioritized in the draft. Kind of like the RB position. But I have no idea if there are any super prospects in the draft at LB.
Micah Parsons has joined the chat.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Micah Parsons has joined the chat.
Jfc of course there are exceptions. Now find me another Micah Parsons. It's not a highly emphasized position, not like it used to be. I said you have to be special at LB to be prioritized.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Jfc of course there are exceptions. Now find me another Micah Parsons. It's not a highly emphasized position, not like it used to be. I said you have to be special at LB to be prioritized.

You have to be special at any position to go in the top 15 of the draft.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Two years ago, the Giants dropped from #11 to #20 and picked up a future 1st, a 4th, and a 5th.
The price depends entirely on how big the move is. If they're moving from #14 to #25 or so, I would say a 2nd wouldn't be out of the question.

The Bears traded up with Giants to draft QB Fields. Could the 2023 Patriots pick up future 2024 1st from team looking for QB who slips down to 14? Possible.
Would the 2023 Patriots then choose impact player with this lower return pick eleven spots later? Not based on their track record.

Last edited:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Is this Bill Belichick?

He's been the coach here for almost 25 years, we all have a pretty good idea of how he operates. This draft has a talent plateau in the 15-25 range. I'm certainly hopeful one of the top OTs and CBs is available at 14, but most of the mock drafts have them gone by then. And my guess is that if they're gone like I think they will be, then he'll probably trade down.

I've given up on complaining about how he operates because it's just a reality at this point. He's not going to change.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
He's been the coach here for almost 25 years, we all have a pretty good idea of how he operates. This draft has a talent plateau in the 15-25 range. I'm certainly hopeful one of the top OTs and CBs is available at 14, but most of the mock drafts have them gone by then. And my guess is that if they're gone like I think they will be, then he'll probably trade down.

I've given up on complaining about how he operates because it's just a reality at this point. He's not going to change.
Probably not even though it's possible his job is now on the line? Even then he didn't do a ton in free agency so he probably doesn't care.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
The Bears traded up with Giants to draft QB Fields. Could the 2023 Patriots pick up future 2024 1st from team looking for QB who slips down to 14? Possible.
Would the 2023 Patriots then choose impact player with this lower return pick eleven spots later? Not based on their track record.
It doesn't even have to be a QB... there just needs to be someone on the board that a team really wants. (...it would certainly help if it were a QB, though. I don't completely discount the idea that Levis or even Richardson could slide.)

For what it's worth, I can't imagine that when it comes to the draft that Bill Belichick has suffered such a crisis of confidence that he'd refuse to trade down if he thought was there was value in it for fear of screwing up a lower pick.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I don't get the hate for trading down. They are picking in the middle of the first, not top 10. If you can move down 4 or 5 spots sending a 4th with it to pick up a 2nd rounder why not? I don't think there's any wrong way to approach this draft whether it's staying at 14 or trading up or down but i think the value is there in adding more picks and having the draft capital to be aggressive on day 2.

Reactions: CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

We absolutely do have an idea on how Bill operates. In seasons with quarterbacks named Brady, they win a bunch of games, make the playoffs, and typically got to at least the AFC championship games. With quarterbacks not named Brady they typically are about .500, do not make the playoffs, and do not make it to the AFC championship game.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
NFL Draft Rumors: Patriots Taking 'Close Look' At These Prospects

“New England has shown interest in the top wideouts in this class, though it might not take one in Round 1,” Reid wrote. “That includes Zay Flowers (Boston College), whom the team hosted on a top-30 visit and coached at the East-West Shrine Bowl. I’ve heard the Patriots are also taking a closer look at Jordan Addison (USC) and Jonathan Mingo (Ole Miss).”

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Nah my guy, It's Zappe time. But McSorley will beat Mac out for the backup job

DUH
Speaking of Mcsorley I looked up stats earlier and he had a qbr of 10.8 last season in like 6 games. I have to doublecheck.

Hmm I guess it was 42.8 last season.

I'll edit this again. Last season his 'adjusted rating' was 10.8.

Reactions: Mione134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia