Patriots/NFL 2023 Off Season I - Jimmy Garoppolo headed to Raiders, where he’ll reunite with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That could also be a smokescreen from teams who DO want one of these WRs. We'll see how it goes. But it doesn't appear to be a stretch to say Flowers is possibly 2nd best WR in this class. That's not even my personal evaluation.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
That could also be a smokescreen from teams who DO want one of these WRs. We'll see how it goes. But it doesn't appear to be a stretch to say Flowers is possibly 2nd best WR in this class. That's not even my personal evaluation.
It very well could be a smokescreen - it is Lying Season, after all.

That said, Nagy's analysis tracks with that of The Athletic's Dane Brugler, who gave JSN a 1st round grade, and put Flowers in a group of 4 WRs (Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Johnston) that he says should fall in the late 1st/early 2nd round range.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

That said, Nagy's analysis tracks with that of The Athletic's Dane Brugler, who gave JSN a 1st round grade, and put Flowers in a group of 4 WRs (Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Johnston) that he says should fall in the late 1st/early 2nd round range.
this team needs as much talent as possible. take a projected 1st rd playmaker WR

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It doesn't even matter because has the Patriots EVER taken a player the media appears to assume they will take?

Nope.

We'll trade back or draft a tackle from a DIII school.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I’d love JSN, I just don’t know if he lasts to 14 with the premium being put on high end receiver talent these days

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I’d love JSN, I just don’t know if he lasts to 14 with the premium being put on high end receiver talent these days
I think JSN's gonna be a really good NFL receiver.

But for the Patriots? I think he kind of duplicates what they have in Juju. They're both primarily big slot WRs who make up for their lack of straight line speed with agility and quickness. I would think the Patriots would be looking for someone who's a little more dynamic at #14.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
For what it's worth, my list of targets at pick #14 continues to shrink.

I think I'm down to the following:

Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State​
Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia​
Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois​
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon​

If one of those four are available, I'd probably pull the trigger. If not, I'd be looking to trade down.

Reactions: CDJ

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I'm all for that. Take the best player and don't trade down.
Again, I'm not sure how you can say that without knowing what's on the board and what other teams are offering.

If you're stuck at #14, then sure - take the best player who fits an area of need.

Reactions: CDJ

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
I would be satisfied with either one of these dual lists, or a combination. Flowers and Downs are similar. Tight end value is recognized. Do not trade down from 14 key.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Again, I'm not sure how you can say that without knowing what's on the board and what other teams are offering.

If you're stuck at #14, then sure - take the best player who fits an area of need.
I can say it because I don't like trading down. I am tired of it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
For what it's worth, my list of targets at pick #14 continues to shrink.

I think I'm down to the following:

Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State​
Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia​
Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois​
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon​

If one of those four are available, I'd probably pull the trigger. If not, I'd be looking to trade down.
Rly like Christian Gonzalez. He’s also very young for the class

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If I had to guess now, I'd say there's a 60%+ chance they trade down. I think the top guys will be gone by 14 (top OTs, top CBs, JSN), and there's not enough of a difference between the next 10 players to pass up on adding Day 2 pick to move down.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
If I had to guess now, I'd say there's a 60%+ chance they trade down. I think the top guys will be gone by 14 (top OTs, top CBs, JSN), and there's not enough of a difference between the next 10 players to pass up on adding Day 2 pick to move down.
The day two pick likely a fourth or fifth round talent. This team needs skill at top of roster and the kind found at 14.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It's a need for sure, but a legitimate 10+ year career starting LT is their biggest need.

I get the WR fawning. None of it matters if they can't get much improved line play.

I just feel like you can always get good o-linemen in later rounds, but how often do you get the type of linebacker they desperately need after the first?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I can say it because I don't like trading down. I am tired of it.
That's not much of a case for not trading down.

The day two pick likely a fourth or fifth round talent. This team needs skill at top of roster and the kind found at 14.
Why would the Day 2 pick likely be a fourth or fifth round talent?

What skill position player in this draft is going to be worth the 14th pick?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People wanting Bill to draft a WR in the first round clearly have not paid attention to his god awful track record of picking WRs in the higher rounds. It's a trash heap.

Reactions: EverettMike

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
You are hoping for a second round pick value return from another team for exchanging first round position? Won't happen.

You want play the name-some-names game? Several players could drop several spots to 14. I expect the 14 pick player should be better than what follows and worth it, that's all.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
People wanting Bill to draft a WR in the first round clearly have not paid attention to his god awful track record of picking WRs in the higher rounds. It's a trash heap.

As soon as the draft a wide receiver early I assume that guy will suck. Historically they're better signing or trading for guys already in the league.

Reactions: LSCII

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's not much of a case for not trading down.

yes we are all better off with Bill trading out 1st rd in 2020 and missing Tee Higgens. yay Bill and his draft busts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad