Patriots/NFL 2023 Off Season I - Jimmy Garoppolo headed to Raiders, where he’ll reunite with Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
LOL Groh. Just admit this is clearly the worst WR class in at least the last 5 years, particularly in top-end talent.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
LOL Groh. Just admit this is clearly the worst WR class in at least the last 5 years, particularly in top-end talent.
Zay Flowers is a great WR and if the Pats draft him, he'd help immediately. I've watched him his entire career at BC he is legit.

If he played at Bama or Ohio State. He'd have more hype. Though, he's getting the hype now.

Reactions: rfournier103

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Zay Flowers is a great WR and if the Pats draft him, he'd help immediately. I've watched him his entire career at BC he is legit.

If he played at Bama or Ohio State. He'd have more hype. Though, he's getting the hype now.
Even if I concede all of that, and I'm not, my point still stands about this WR class as a group. It's pretty universally considered the worst in years.

Reactions: Mione134

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I mentioned it to Minone before. I am also a huge BC fan, and while Flowers has very good speed, quickness and good compete level, he is small, short- armed and not a leaper. I do not think he projects as a great pro.
Devil's advocate...

Screenshot 2023-04-18 2.42.34 PM.png

Then again, Lockett was a 3rd round pick, not 14th overall.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I mentioned it to Minone before. I am also a huge BC fan, and while Flowers has very good speed, quickness and good compete level, he is small, short- armed and not a leaper. I do not think he projects as a great pro.

I don't think I watched a game where his size was a factor. He contributed in every way they asked him. He did great on jump balls. Great hands. He has speed in the slot. He could be an Edelman version for us. Even though he was normal lineup outside. He went through a carousel of QB's and did well with all of them. Now, obviously he had his best year with Jurkovec before Phil got injured. But man, Flowers is a game changer type player.

Sure, this WR class might be limited. But there has been no indication as to Zay not being successful in the league.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I don't think I watched a game where his size was a factor. He contributed in every way they asked him. He did great on jump balls. Great hands. He has speed in the slot. He could be an Edelman version for us. Even though he was normal lineup outside. He went through a carousel of QB's and did well with all of them. Now, obviously he had his best year with Jurkovec before Phil got injured. But man, Flowers is a game changer type player.

Sure, this WR class might be limited. But there has been no indication as to Zay not being successful in the league.
He might be successful, but not a star, like Robbie Anderson, the fading idiot my stupid Dolphins just signed.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't think he needs to be a "star". Undrafted, Jakobi Meyers was not a "star", but he contributed very well to the Patriots.
He was also aN UDFA iirc not 14th ocerall. There will be an OT, CB or ED there way more worthy of 14 ov imo.

Devil's advocate...

View attachment 690993

Then again, Lockett was a 3rd round pick, not 14th overall.
Has an 8.29 wr ever been taken in the first?

Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I don't think he needs to be a "star". Undrafted, Jakobi Meyers was not a "star", but he contributed very well to the Patriots.
He could certainly contribute very well. However, I really, really do not think, he is going to the Patriots. My Dolphins would be a good possibility but their idiotic, pr-hungry GM, Chris Grier, took two first rounders and turned them into none for nothing. God, I hate Ross and Chris Grier.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Neal Harry had an 8.45.

Which goes to prove that N'keal Harry failed as a WR for reasons not related to his athleticism.

In fact, according to that site, N'Keal Harry's closest comp in terms of pure athleticism was Brandon Marshall, who was a 6-time Pro Bowl selection.

Has an 8.29 wr ever been taken in the first?
Many have. I'll give you an example... DeAndre Hopkins' RAS the year he was taken 27th overall was 4.94. Antonio Brown's RAS was 3.85, and he turned into just about the best receiver in all of football.

There's often a big difference between "that guy's an unbelievable athlete" vs "that guy's an unbelievable football player". RAS is a useful tool, but it's not the be-all and end-all of draft pick evaluation.

In this particular case, I was just using it to show that you can't necessarily write off Flowers as an NFL receiver due to his size.

Reactions: CDJ

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
This is pretty interesting. Seems like they've done a ton of work 1st round WRs, TEs, OTs, Edge Rushers, and the larger CBs in the draft.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
This is pretty interesting. Seems like they've done a ton of work 1st round WRs, TEs, OTs, Edge Rushers, and the larger CBs in the draft.

Top 30 visits with the top 4 EDGE guys certainly starts to paint a picture. Decent chance one of them is BPA at #14 with the top OTs and CBs gone. Belichick historically loves taking DLine in the 1st, but it has been a while.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Top 30 visits with the top 4 EDGE guys certainly starts to paint a picture. Decent chance one of them is BPA at #14 with the top OTs and CBs gone. Belichick historically loves taking DLine in the 1st, but it has been a while.
While I think it's probably noteworthy, I'm not sure I'd read too much into that. Lots of times, Top 30 visits happen because a team doesn't feel they have enough information on a player to give them a grade.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Slowly talking myself into Darnell Wright at #14.

He's huge (6-5, 333), long, athletic, he doesn't commit penalties, and he dominated Will Anderson, Bryan Brasee, and BJ Ojulari in head-to-head matchups. In 507 pass blocking snaps last year, he didn't allow a single sack, and only allowed 8 QB pressures.

The only question is if he can play left tackle. I think he can, but he was a right tackle at Tennessee. But even if he can't play LT, I don't have much doubt that he can be a high quality RT. He's got a high floor and a high ceiling, IMO.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I can promise you right now. Zay is better than Harry and no matter where he goes he's going to have a better career than him.
Oh I am absolutely on board with that. Unlike Harry, Zay Flowers can actually move and get open. I am still waiting for that Harry breakout ever since he got away from that mean Tom Brady!

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Oh I am absolutely on board with that. Unlike Harry, Zay Flowers can actually move and get open. I am still waiting for that Harry breakout ever since he got away from that mean Tom Brady!

I think Harry was cursed the moment they said this wasn't in bounds.
Screenshot_20230419_233245_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_233159_Chrome.jpg

Cursed ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad