Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
I hope Bergeron comes back for one more year, especially since it’s the centennial year.

I don’t think winning a Stanley Cup is a realistic goal for the team this year. It’s apparent last year was the year they decided to “go for it,” and this year is the result of those consequences — a bridge year with significant financial limitations until the cap significantly increases the following year.

However, I don’t think it’s out of reach for them to be competing for a playoff spot and be an entertaining team most nights. I plan to try and enjoy the upcoming season for what it is.
If you plan a bridge year, why not playing young guns instead of Geekie, JVR and who? Patrick Brown? Calice! If our young guy are not as good as those 3 we re in real trouble...play young guy and signe quality...maybe only one it s ok...but jesus christ

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
Happy with Looch and Geekie. The rest is fodder to fill out roster with cheap short deals. Hated to see Hall go and no Bertuzzi but glad Donnie went all in last year. Goalies will keep us competitive and even with sways bump in pay still will be in ballpark for NHL tandem. Like keeping Freddy with a bigger roll. Would like to see gryz and Forbort moved but guessing the trade market sucks. Shocked Bert still out there..he must be too.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Happy with Looch and Geekie. The rest is fodder to fill out roster with cheap short deals. Hated to see Hall go and no Bertuzzi but glad Donnie went all in last year. Goalies will keep us competitive and even with sways bump in pay still will be in ballpark for NHL tandem. Like keeping Freddy with a bigger roll. Would like to see gryz and Forbort moved but guessing the trade market sucks. Shocked Bert still out there..he must be too.
Jvr will surprise everyone. Hes gonna do his 20 goal thing book it.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If we traded Hall just to make room for Frederic and Swayman... Not a good look

In a pure sense I agree but that also assumes that was the intent if that is the outcome

It could also be true that sweeney had to move the guys he could in order to sign bert but bert of his own volition chooses the better contract , so essentially both can be true

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If you plan a bridge year, why not playing young guns instead of Geekie, JVR and who? Patrick Brown? Calice! If our young guy are not as good as those 3 we re in real trouble...play young guy and signe quality...maybe only one it s ok...but jesus christ

first theres no guarantee younger guys wont play. Those signed today, near all, can be waived with no cap implications.

Second, some of the kids young guns you mention
a- may not be ready
b- may cost more between their base and elc bonuses.
c- if they crap the bed , what then? You dont have the insurance/ flexibility you signed today.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
It will never cease being a surprise that some can be so optimistic about teams they don't/rarely watch while being unendingly pessimistic about a team they see all the time.
That's because we watch them all the time. When Sweeney and co have a decent team I am optimistic.

For example, I was optimistic before last years playoffs, hence pessimism until proven different

Reactions: Bodit9

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Imagine being this pissed off about Patrick Brown

Reactions: 13Hockey

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
That's because we watch them all the time. When Sweeney and co have a decent team I am optimistic.

For example, I was optimistic before last years playoffs, hence pessimism until proven different
No, you're just misunderstood. At least sometimes.

I remember thinking you were excessively negative just to hear yourself braying, but figured out I was wrong pretty quick many years ago. I genuinely enjoy reading a lot of your posts.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Geekie will be 25 going into the season, so if the bruins pro scouting identified him as someone to target then great, hopefully he can piece going ofrward. And the rest of the guys we signed are all on 1 year, 1 mil deals. All those deals can easily be buried in the minors if young players force their way up, not blocking anyone.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
You can’t just play kids, Joe. You have to have a support system around them. Even Bergeron had players like Martin LaPointe to shepherd him into the league. Vets that have been around and seen the rigors of the league are important. They were never going to fill all six slots with providence players.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Geekie will be 25 going into the season, so if the bruins pro scouting identified him as someone to target then great, hopefully he can piece going ofrward. And the rest of the guys we signed are all on 1 year, 1 mil deals. All those deals can easily be buried in the minors if young players force their way up, not blocking anyone.
He was a target for scouts all year.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I hate to tell you but we are in that much trouble. What young guys do you want them to play? They added a bunch of depth guys for the farm which every team does. Calico, Brown types are for Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad