Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
WhalerTurnedBruin55 said:

The beauty of Bergeron/Marchand on discounted contracts, that afforded management to bungle the cap with the middle of the roster and still ice a pretty good team for most seasons.

Pastrnak and McAvoy locked up on fair, yet not quite discount rates means we have to actually play smart with all contracts. We literally cannot afford more Backes, Belesky, John Moore, Mike Reilly, Nick Foligno overpays anymore.

Overpay is only half the problem. When those players became junk Sweeney did his signature move and packaged them with a high draft pick in a multiasset deal so it would not be that visible.

Picks used in each deal:

Beleskey 5y/19m
1st 2018
7th 2019

Backes 5y/30m
1st 2020

Moore 5y/13.75m
1st 2022
2nd 2023
2nd 2024

Smith 3y/9.3m
1st 2023
2nd 2025
3rd 2024
5th 2023

Reilly 3y/9m
we shall see if Sweeney packages him with any pick or if he gets bought out

What should be the up coming core in 4x 1st and 3x 2nd picks was flushed down the drain.
Well, after the fiasco at 2015 draft not much of surprise.

Trying to win games will do that for you. They went for it over and over again.

The bruins got rick Nash (bad injury luck), Hampus Lindholm, Dimitry Orlov, and Hathaway in those deals. The only pure cap dump was the lousy Backes deal.

The upcoming corp of
Jacob Bernard - Docker (2018 #1)
Massimo Risso (2019 #7) (good college numbers)
Jacob Perrault (2020 #1)
Nathan Gaucher (2022 #1) (Still early, so maybe he becomes a player they will miss)

Imagine if we had all of those guys as our core moving forward. The Bruins would be all set. right there that is your first line, and #2 defenseman for this season :help:

All those deals and the only thing we missed out on was Ryan Lindgren. Maybe the future picks traded will hurt

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
We had just under 5 mil of cap. We had Sway, Freddy and Lauko RFA's to re-up. Hypothetically we lose Bergy and DK. We move coyle up to play with marchand and Jake, and zacha centers pasta and Hall. Freddy centers Lauko. You need a 4th line center and a couple wings if you don't bring back nosek or Nick. D remains the same before trade deadline. I know coyle is not ideal 1c but just trying to figure out the point of moving Hall in this scenario
Just try some armchair GM on Capfriendly, you'll figure it out real quick.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

The bruins got rick Nash (bad injury luck), Hampus Lindholm, Dimitry Orlov, and Hathaway in those deals. The only pure cap dump was the lousy Backes deal.

The upcoming corp of
Jacob Perrault (2020 #1)
Nathan Gaucher (2022 #1) (Still early, so maybe he becomes a player they will miss)

Imagine if we had all of those guys as our core moving forward. The Bruins would be all set. right there that is your first line, and #2 defenseman for this season :help:

All those deals and the only thing we missed out on was Ryan Lindgren. Maybe the future picks traded will hurt
With all the lousy picks we had we still ended up with lysell lohrei poitras Harrison locmelis in our system and they all looking super solid right now.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Let’s assume they clear enough and sign Bert which they are rumored to be working on. Does a team relying on wings to drive the offense do the job? Maybe Zacha has a bit more to offer, but Coyle is what he is, and then you drop into the great unknown of Freddie at full time center, or McLaughlin, or Merkulov. I don’t know, maybe it works.
Why stop at Bertuzzi? Why not sign Bert and then make a hockey trade for a C? Or trade a winger for a pick and sign a C? I'm just saying there are options. We're seeing teams make moves every day. The Bruins have already made a move. I expect more to come.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruins should be interested in Max Comtois. He has a little bit of a Zacha feel to him being in a similar age range and one of those guys that found success early in their career but has fizzled out. Could be a textbook change of scenery and not being qualified at 2+ million means he should be had pretty reasonably

He plays with some jam and good in front of the net.
I think he would be a good third line wing. Biggest problem st forward is obvious, Coyle, not a number 2 center but getting paid like one. Taking away Hall from him and he will be back to his 35 point average as your number 2 center, nobody makes the playoffs with Coyle as their number 2 center.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Draft is tomorrow I haven’t seen the easily moved players easily moved yet. There has to be more moves as even with 6mil saved you have your own RFAs (and gained two more RFAs to pay) and two of them are definitely going to command more money. They still need to fill the rest of the roster without putting themselves in cap hell again.

So I want Sweeney gone, if he basically hands over the same money for Bertuzzi as he did Hall, and both centers retire leaving Coyle and Zacha as centers while still being up against the cap. So basically a worse team and still in cap he’ll. That’s my criteria for axing him, won’t be Jacobs criteria I am sure they’ll fight for a playoff spot and hopefully get the gate revenue for one round. Does really nothing for the future though other than prolong the inevitable.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Draft is tomorrow I haven’t seen the easily moved players easily moved yet. There has to be more moves as even with 6mil saved you have your own RFAs (and gained two more RFAs to pay) and two of them are definitely going to command more money. They still need to fill the rest of the roster without putting themselves in cap hell again.

So I want Sweeney gone, if he basically hands over the same money for Bertuzzi as he did Hall, and both centers retire leaving Coyle and Zacha as centers while still being up against the cap. So basically a worse team and still in cap he’ll. That’s my criteria for axing him, won’t be Jacobs criteria I am sure they’ll fight for a playoff spot and hopefully get the gate revenue for one round. Does really nothing for the future though other than prolong the inevitable.
I think hes gonna sign bertuzzi.

Reactions: bbfan419

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think he would be a good third line wing. Biggest problem st forward is obvious, Coyle, not a number 2 center but getting paid like one. Taking away Hall from him and he will be back to his 35 point average as your number 2 center, nobody makes the playoffs with Coyle as their number 2 center.
Idk man is Bennet that much better than Coyle? What about JT Compher? Ryan Hartman?

I think you could easily make the playoffs with Coyle as your 2C when you have a definite #1 center in front of him. When you have someone like Zacha, it’s definitely not ideal

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008

The upcoming corp of
Jacob Perrault (2020 #1)

Rick Nash was a damaged property
Ondrej Kase was a damaged property
Dimitry Orlov's trade looks like a pure rental because B's have no space to sign him
Garnet Hathaway was just a throw in with Orlov
Hampus Lindholm is good but not 1st and two 2nd good.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Marchand-Coyle-DeBrusk
Bertuzzi-Zacha-Pastrnak
Merkulov-Comtois-Frederic
Lauko-Gambrell-McLaughlin

Lindholm-McAvoy
OEL-Carlo
Forbort-Walsh
Zboril

Ullmark
Swayman

Not great but not awful. Can see something like this happening

Reactions: Gordoff

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Donny will get a top center.
Who you thinkin Don?

There are three tiers in my mind besides the unknown.

Drai- $$$ also probably not a realistic option for both clubs.

Lindholm - $$ do we have the pieces and would they want to go to Calgary?

Scheifele- $ somewhat lackluster imo but could probably lock in a playoff appearance at the very least.

Last edited:

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Marchand-Scheiffle-Debrusk
Bertuzzi-Zacha-Pastrnak
Merkulov-Bergeron-Frederic
Lauko-McLaughlin-Hathaway

OEL-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Zboril

Swayman
Bussi

This could work.
Scheiffle 6 m
Bertuzzi 6 m
OEL 3 m
Swayman- 3 m
Bergeron 3 m
Frederick 2 m
You need roughly 23 million.
Ullmark, Coyle Grez- 13 m plus 10 m open =23m

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Who you thinkin Don?
Scheifele

Bertuzzi-Zacha-Pastrnak

OEL-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Zboril

Swayman
Bussi

This could work.
Scheiffle 6 m
Bertuzzi 6 m
OEL 3 m
Swayman- 3 m
Bergeron 3 m
Frederick 2 m
Perfect but I think that ian Mitchell kid makes the team and makes a huge impression. Book it.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Bertuzzi-Zacha-Pastrnak

OEL-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Zboril

Swayman
Bussi

This could work.
Scheiffle 6 m
Bertuzzi 6 m
OEL 3 m
Swayman- 3 m
Bergeron 3 m
Frederick 2 m
It’s a good lineup and another good reminder that there are paths forward that improve the team. I hope Sweeney can find one.

Reactions: CDJ and Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad