Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Continued

NHL Draft​

Date: Wednesday, June 28 (first round), Thursday, June 29 (Round 2-7)

NHL Free Agency​

Date: Saturday, July 1 at noon ET

Development Camp​

Date: Monday, July 3 through Friday, July 7

Rookie Camp​

Date: Wednesday, Sept. 13 through Monday, Sept. 18

Training Camp​

Date: Begins Wednesday, Sept. 20

Reactions: Gordoff

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The beauty of Bergeron/Marchand on discounted contracts, that afforded management to bungle the cap with the middle of the roster and still ice a pretty good team for most seasons.

Pastrnak and McAvoy locked up on fair, yet not quite discount rates means we have to actually play smart with all contracts. We literally cannot afford more Backes, Belesky, John Moore, Mike Reilly, Nick Foligno overpays anymore.
Exactly.

The margin for error moving forward is much thinner than it was.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If you punt on this season, you’re spending a year of McAvoy and Pastrnak.

But you’ve got to decide what you do with Marchand.

He’s my favorite player.

Is his value greater in terms of the continuity he brings (last link to the Cup team assuming Bergeron and Krejci are fine), or in terms of what he can fetch in a trade?

Shitty conversation to have, but I feel like it’s a conversation that needs to be had.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I would say Lindholm is a steal. 2nd Team NHL All Star at under 7M for Uro and low 1st Rounders and 2nd?​
Ullmark at 5M 1st Team is an incredible bargain.​
I will concede this point.

But he slots as your number 2 defenseman, and you’re paying him as such. He’s an excellent number 2 at that price.

But it’s not like having players contributing at a high level on an entry level contract in terms of value.

They don’t have anyone that’s that level of value savings currently on this roster.

In a cap league, you need those types of players.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
"Sweeney (did) the right thing with Krug," yes?

Not at the time.

They told him one thing, to my knowledge, and then did another. And then it was -- here as elsewhere, go look at the posts -- "We don't need Krug. Gryz can step in nicely." And now many of the same want to throw Matt away.

Funny how that works.

I hope they keep Gryz, because, AGAIN, he gives the Bruins D something they can use in a first, second or third pairing. At decent change (3+).

I also understand that both Cassidy and Montgomery chose not to use Matt in the playoffs, push coming to shove.

So, though I believe Gryz has value at a relatively modest price, I understand the need to both clear cap space and retool the lower echelon of the D corps.

If nothing else, right shot Ds Mitchell, Ragula (like the size) and Walsh restock that position and that shot. You never know. PRO, development camp, pre-season camp...

These are good moves by Sweeney. I'm heartened by them.

GOOD LUCK TO TAYLOR AND NICK.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I will concede this point.

But he slots as your number 2 defenseman, and you’re paying him as such. He’s an excellent number 2 at that price.

But it’s not like having players contributing at a high level on an entry level contract in terms of value.

They don’t have anyone that’s that level of value savings currently on this roster.

In a cap league, you need those types of players.
Our teams forward development leaves a lot to be desired.

Which makes the Hall for tweener defensemen, as well as moving a forward prospect for another defenseman feel a little questionable as well.

I'm hoping there's more moves to come, but... I wouldn't be surprised to get left waiting for the bus again.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
"Sweeney (did) the right thing with Krug," yes?

Not at the time.

They told him one thing, to my knowledge, and then did another. And then it was -- here as elsewhere, go look at the posts -- "We don't need Krug. Gryz can step in nicely." And now many of the same want to throw Matt away.

Funny how that works.

I hope they keep Gryz, because, AGAIN, he gives the Bruins D something they can use in a first, second or third pairing. At decent change (3+).

I also understand that both Cassidy and Montgomery chose not to use Matt in the playoffs, push coming to shove.

So, though I believe Gryz has value at a relatively modest price, I understand the need to both clear cap space and retool the lower echelon of the D corps.

If nothing else, right shot Ds Mitchell, Ragula (like the size) and Walsh restock that position and that shot. You never know. PRO, development camp, pre-season camp...

These are good moves by Sweeney. I'm heartened by them.

GOOD LUCK TO TAYLOR AND NICK.
I like the Mitchell kid he looks like a player.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Time to trade Marchand and Coyle. Blow it up. I’d rather suck for two years than be mediocre for 6.
Herein lies the issue.
IMG_5639.jpeg

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
We had just under 5 mil of cap. We had Sway, Freddy and Lauko RFA's to re-up. Hypothetically we lose Bergy and DK. We move coyle up to play with marchand and Jake, and zacha centers pasta and Hall. Freddy centers Lauko. You need a 4th line center and a couple wings if you don't bring back nosek or Nick. D remains the same before trade deadline. I know coyle is not ideal 1c but just trying to figure out the point of moving Hall in this scenario

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

But even though Sweeney acknowledged that it’s “unlikely” Orlov dons a black-and-gold sweater in 2023 and beyond, he remained mum about the odds of Boston’s other pending free agents slipping through their grasp.

“None of those guys have been necessarily closed off. Obviously, we circled with most of them based on our decision yesterday,” Sweeney said of decisions with the team’s free agents. “But haven’t really concretely put anything together that that would indicate that I’m going to be able to [re-sign them], in particular on Orly. But you just never know what happens between now and then.”

With the free-agent feeding frenzy set to commence at noon on Saturday, Sweeney has his work cut out for him when it comes to keeping players like Bertuzzi from heading to market.

“Again, we’re close. So you have to assume they may [test the market],” Sweeney said. “But if something else materializes, I’m going to move forward with the guys, obviously not Nick Foligno. But the rest of the guys, I would entertain if the situation is right for both parties.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Thing is, they have some great pieces locked up - Pasta, McAvoy, Lindholm, Zacha, etc. will be there in 2028. Swayman will likely be under team control too. But if we can just weather a couple bad years of bottoming out, resetting the cap, restocking the prospect cupboard via trading expiring pieces and drafting well, then they'll be in position to make a big run when they still have Pasta, Mac, Hampus, etc. at the end of their contracts. But if they're going to just kick the can and aim for mediocrity over the next 3-4 years, they're going to waste Pasta and Charlie's primes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad