Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I understand your points but I think one of the Bruins problems is that they think they can "hide" a player next to McAvoy. It doesn't work come playoff time. I thought they finally realized this when they traded for Orlov but then they had Orlov playing all over the place instead of stapling him with McAvoy until they meshed. That drove me nuts.

I'm really hoping they find a solid defensive partner for McAvoy that they trust to play in all situations this offseason. Easier said than done given their cap situation, but they should be done pairing him with defensemen they're afraid to play come playoff time.

Especially when McAvoy completely crumbles as well. His poise was very low game 7. Needs a true #2 next to him for sure.

Reactions: Gordoff

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
He doesn't intimidate anyone either. At least that is what the writers have intimated.
:laugh: That’s on me I was trying to power through my thoughts before I went to work I didn’t read it back to myself..
I edited it .. now back to my lunch

Reactions: Ratty

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Zach Kassien was just put on waivers for the purpose of a buyout ..... 4th line fodder that's cheaper than Garnet? Yes, he's sucked for a few years now but hey ..got some jam

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Thinking the sequence is going to be Bergy signs for 1 year, they let that dust off for a bit, and then Krejci gets his proper retirement announcement.

I wonder if Bergy is like 1M + 2.5M? Can't really be much better obviously. And maybe a wink wink coaching deal any time he wants back in.

Reactions: FONZIE

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I understand your points but I think one of the Bruins problems is that they think they can "hide" a player next to McAvoy. It doesn't work come playoff time. I thought they finally realized this when they traded for Orlov but then they had Orlov playing all over the place instead of stapling him with McAvoy until they meshed. That drove me nuts.

I'm really hoping they find a solid defensive partner for McAvoy that they trust to play in all situations this offseason. Easier said than done given their cap situation, but they should be done pairing him with defensemen they're afraid to play come playoff time.
In an ideal world I would love to sign Graves or Soucy to round out the top four but the money is just not going to be there.

I also take a look at how Tampa is running things and it’s pretty similar. Granted they didn’t make it past the 1st round they generally had Segachev and Hedman split with either Cernak and Perbix on the right side. What sticks out there?

They really only have three top four defenseman just like the B’s and hack it with the rest.

The difference is they actually won when they had McDonough but we couldn’t with Orlov so be ready for rookies and vet minimums it’s just the reality of it

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You’re really hung up on this strong side thing. Do you have issue with Ovi/Kucherov/Kane/Forsberg/Panarin etc or just the Bruins?

When they get an off-winger of that ability I'll have no problem with it.

Most European players play their off-wing right from the get go. The Bruins seem to always be trying to fit left wingers on the right side. Debrusk was always a left winger and I think he would be a better player there. They've had Foligno, Frederic, Greer, Bertuzzi, Zacha, Hall trying the right side. And when talk of acquiring wingers comes up here it seems that often the players talked about are left wingers being plugged into right wing. As if there is no difference.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Maybe this is better posed in the 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk II thread, but if we trade either Swayman or Ullmark.....whose going to fill the back-up role? I know many people are looking at Bussi, but he's still an unknown with no NHL experience. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season with Bussi as the #2 on opening night. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with him having to carry a heavy workload if the #1 got hurt as well.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Maybe this is better posed in the 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk II thread, but if we trade either Swayman or Ullmark.....whose going to fill the back-up role? I know many people are looking at Bussi, but he's still an unknown with no NHL experience. I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season with Bussi as the #2 on opening night. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with him having to carry a heavy workload if the #1 got hurt as well.
Get a vet like Brossoit for cheap and have him split like 35-40 starts with Bussi. That way whoever we keep between Ullmark/Swayman stays relatively fresh. Go full on goalie carousel rather then committing to a tandem.

Matt8871

Jan 10, 2022
Some of you have never watched Gryz play and it shows…He’s not perfect by any means but some of you tragically cannot get past his height and style of play. I urge you to look at something like MoneyPuck.com.

Derek forbort had an on ice expected goals percentage of 29%.

That is horrible. Grzelcyk? 61.5% enough for the team lead.

Dont believe these numbers? Dont think MoneyPuck is accurate? I’ll raise you one and tell you I’ve spoken directly to members of the front office who told me that moneypuck is the best public model out there.

Furthermore, Grzelcyk is one of the best skaters in this league. Has a great defensive stick, and isnt being HIDDEN with McAvoy. How is it that time and time again they move Gryz away from Mac and they KEEP LOSING.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
bring in :
p. kane, toews, O.E.L.
giphy.gif

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Gryz averaged the least TOI out of all our defenseman. It was all 5v5. He also averaged the highest offense zone starts at 60%. This has always been the case with him, not just this year.

When you have Forbort and Carlo doing so much of the dirty work on the PK and defensive zone starts, you have the luxury to be able to hide someone next to McAvoy. OEL seems like a good candidate for it

I see people say that a lot about Gryz, that he doesn't get much Dzone time, but Gryz had more Dzone starts than Forbort this year. Gryz was 4th in Dzone starts last year, and 2nd in Dzone starts the year before.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 2.07.44 PM.png

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
If Bertuzzi won't sign, and the numbers still don't work, I think we should flip Hall for picks, flip DeBrusk to his natural wing, and acquire Garland for peanuts.

I'm going to keep banging that drum, he's one of the most effective players at 5v5, great 2 way play, plays a pests game, and is an absolute gamer. And he's FREE.

Sub 5 million dollar contract too, so he's affordable

Marchand - Bergeron - Garland
DeBrusk - Zacha - Pasta

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Bertuzzi won't sign, and the numbers still don't work, I think we should flip Hall for picks, flip DeBrusk to his natural wing, and acquire Garland for peanuts.

I'm going to keep banging that drum, he's one of the most effective players at 5v5, great 2 way play, plays a pests game, and is an absolute gamer. And he's FREE.

Sub 5 million dollar contract too, so he's affordable

Marchand - Bergeron - Garland
DeBrusk - Zacha - Pasta

If it comes to moving Hall, I would look to Colorado seeing as Landeskog is out for the entire 2022-2023 season ( which might possibly end his career ).

Reactions: sarge88 and TCB

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Zach Kassien was just put on waivers for the purpose of a buyout ..... 4th line fodder that's cheaper than Garnet? Yes, he's sucked for a few years now but hey ..got some jam
Has been humiliated by Habs Xehkaj...dont want to hear Habs fans laughing at us for the all season

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland