Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Please continue.

NHL Awards​

Date: Monday, June 26

NHL Draft​

Date: Wednesday, June 28 (first round), Thursday, June 29 (Round 2-7)

NHL Free Agency​

Date: Saturday, July 1 at noon ET

Development Camp​

Date: Monday, July 3 through Friday, July 7

Rookie Camp​

Date: Wednesday, Sept. 13 through Monday, Sept. 18

Training Camp​

Date: Begins Wednesday, Sept. 20

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Is this the right place for this?

yep

IMG_0898.gif

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Just putting this here to clarify some misunderstandings:

(B) Notwithstanding the foregoing, if a Group 2 Player requests salary arbitration, or a Club requests salary arbitration, pursuant to Article 12, such Player will not be eligible to negotiate with any Club other than his Prior Club or sign an Offer Sheet pursuant to this Article 10, except as provided in Sections 12.3(a) and 12.10

!2.3(a) mentioned above, Swayman did not earn enough for the team to file for salary arbitration. However, if Swayman files for arbitration, he can NOT sign an offer sheet.

11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period. Moreover, a Club shall not be entitled to exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period for: (i) any Player who was not on the Club's Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline, or (ii) any Player with an Averaged Amount less than $2,750,000

Second buyout window. If 2 players file for salary arbitration, then a second window opens up. I believe the number this year is $4.5 million minimum that has to be bought out.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
No idea what Sweeney has planned, but every GM knows he is against the cap and has too many positions needing to be filled. Trades are going to be difficult as teams will lowball offers knowing he may not have many choices.

I see people with Ullmark or Sway going for a first rounder when goalies usually don’t have as much trade value. I hope people are right but I see more of a mid prospect, 2nd rounder deal there.

AND this off season really hinges on Bergeron and Krejci, do you try to retool with them knowing you can’t pay them much and will set you up again next year with bonuses added to the cap. Do they retire and it becomes a major retool vs a few prospect bottom liners.

I would hate to be in Sweeney’s shoes right now. He gave them all they needed to win this year, and now those decisions are coming home to roost this off season.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
No idea what Sweeney has planned, but every GM knows he is against the cap and has too many positions needing to be filled. Trades are going to be difficult as teams will lowball offers knowing he may not have many choices.

I see people with Ullmark or Sway going for a first rounder when goalies usually don’t have as much trade value. I hope people are right but I see more of a mid prospect, 2nd rounder deal there.

AND this off season really hinges on Bergeron and Krejci, do you try to retool with them knowing you can’t pay them much and will set you up again next year with bonuses added to the cap. Do they retire and it becomes a major retool vs a few prospect bottom liners.

I would hate to be in Sweeney’s shoes right now. He gave them all they needed to win this year, and now those decisions are coming home to roost this off season.
I'm not a Sweeney apologist, but everyone knew this was coming. We just expected a bit longer post season... and that's more about the ice level personel than the front office.

Right now, he has to plan with what he knows. Bergeron and Krejci are whatifs? Plan like they aren't there. If they want to come back they understand his situation, and he understands their's but life can't stop and play wait and see again.

As for his roster moves, may need to buy out a player and trade someone that otherwise wouldn't have been traded, but I don't think they are in as a bad a situation as it is being made out to be.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I really am afraid Sweeney will do the bare minimum. Reilly should have been bought out by now, wonder if Monty Burns is telling Sweeney he can't buy anybody out? Fill out the roster with what you have or move bad contracts with picks and prospects?

I have resigned myself to Charmin Coyle being the number 2 center and the disaster that comes with it but I at least thought they would move on from Grizz after another playoff no show, but everyday seems more likely he will be here and the D will be as soft or softer than last years without Clifton.

So bring on the Merkulovs and Lysells, with how terrible their prospects are maybe they can keep that protected draft pick Detroit has for next year. Keeping Grizz and Coyle as your number 2 center is a great way to start a tank.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He can clear 6 million tomorrow, buyout Reilly and dump Grizz for a 3rd or 4th. That gives Sweeney 11 million to sign Swayman, Frederic, Lauko and McLaughlin. Need to sign two D, one decent one for the top 4, Gudas or Schenn would be my choices and then a depth D.

They still need to fill out 3RW, 4C and probably 4LW. Like it or not Sweeney will have to move one of his goalies. Ullmark is a better choice to move but Swayman returns more and does not have a modified NTC. Ideally they can upgrade on Forbort for less. Coyle will retire here and be -137 in the playoffs by the time he is done.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He can clear 6 million tomorrow, buyout Reilly and dump Grizz for a 3rd or 4th. That gives Sweeney 11 million to sign Swayman, Frederic, Lauko and McLaughlin. Need to sign two D, one decent one for the top 4, Gudas or Schenn would be my choices and then a depth D.

They still need to fill out 3RW, 4C and probably 4LW. Like it or not Sweeney will have to move one of his goalies. Ullmark is a better choice to move but Swayman returns more and does not have a modified NTC. Ideally they can upgrade on Forbort for less. Coyle will retire here and be -137 in the playoffs by the time he is done.
In addition I move Hall and Forbort. 9 mil in space.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I guess this is as good a place as any to put this:

A former hockey player reached out to me last night re: a newer website he is a part of. Their claim:

We created an algorithm that computes Values of NHL players and top professional leagues players in real time

I took a look at the Bruins and a few players around the NHL as well as some around the world. You guys might find it interesting when talking free agent values.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Quite interesting, they sure seem to undervalue defenseman, McAvoy and Lindholm values were shocking.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Sweeney's mentality was you play to win the Cup and this year presented the greatest odds of ever doing that so he doubled down everywhere. It is a reasonable mentality and if the B's score one more goal at the right time it could be Boston with the parade.

My initial reaction to both the Orlov and Bertuzzi trades were that they were overkill, but the way those two players played, and the injuries to other key players at those positions, justified the transactions.

The cap management for this team is still good. We have one upside down contract, Mike Reilly, who is overpaid by about $1.25 million. The difficulty is the overage, but that presents a one year problem.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Interesting... Bussi signed for less than his qualifying offer. He signed for the league minimum. I can't imagine he did that without getting assurances from management that he'd be playing in Boston.

I doubt he got an assurance, but probably some convincing encouragement. Players on two-way deals for cap strapped teams actually have some incentive to lower their NHL pay--it makes it more likely the team will be able to call them up. Even the NHL league minimum is like 6x Bussi's likely AHL salary.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Quite interesting, they sure seem to undervalue defenseman, McAvoy and Lindholm values were shocking.
Craig Smith being worth more than his contract was the curveball that buckled the legs.

He was actually worth $400k less than Ullmark.

If the methodology wasn't using his cat, Mr. Jingles, 10 solo cups and a jar full of savory tuna treats, he'll need some fine tuning.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Craig Smith being worth more than his contract was the curveball that buckled the legs.

He was actually worth $400k less than Ullmark.

If the methodology wasn't using his cat, Mr. Jingles, 10 solo cups and a jar full of savory tuna treats, he'll need some fine tuning.
I agree they need to fix some things. He asked for my thoughts and I will share them with him.

My general opinion is that it looks pretty good overall and I'm sure they will iron out the bugs. It especially looks good with players outside the NHL if you ever want values on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad