GDT: 2023 NHL Global Series LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes@9:00pm PST/ 12:00am EST 9/23-24/23 game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I was referencing his play with the Swedish National Team during his career when he was also a KIng.
The aforementioned handling of him just delayed his breakout.
You are completely off the grid with your analysis as usual,
Kempe was almost a second round pick, right in the Kings wheelhouse.
The Kings need to hire someone to handle their first round picks with as little interaction with the rest of their scouts as possible.
Show me the scouting where they talked about his shooting ability or this supposed ceiling that was well known. He had speed and hands to his name. That was it. Kempe is an anomaly and anyone who thinks he had this high probability of becoming this player is being dishonest and or delusional. Not one person here thought Kempe was going to be a 40 goal scorer. His projection was what bottom 6 fringe 2nd line potential. If you think it was obvious then I’d like you stake out some claims about these players right now who aren’t anything. Let’s see who you’re right about because apparently only you saw this coming and no one else. Inform us seer. What do you see of Byfield this season? Give me projected goals and assists.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Byfield is out of shape, you can see him fade as the games have went on.

Did he put on weight? He's missing a step right now.

JAD looked terrible, Fagemo solidifying himself as an AAA guy.

Grundstrom is still like Durzi - Good play, bad play, good play, bad play.

Arty looked lost again, he looked far better last night.

Turcotte was fantastic. He's really got to bulk up, though.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wonder if Turcotte is a better fit next to Kopitar and Kempe than Byfield.

Turcotte - Kopitar - Kempe
Byfield - PLD - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson

Kaliyev ain’t it, I’m calling it now. I want him to succeed but I just don’t see it with Todd. He’s too soft and makes too many bad plays. He has earned zero trust except on the second power play.
Turcotte plays a lot like Iafallo, as far as role, so I'm sure he'd do well. I just think Byfield is also well-suited there. Again, the line got better WITH Byfield. The "problem" tonight was the vet on the line just letting the two young players do the heavy lifting. Thank goodness Kempe can shoot.

Kaliyev didn't look great as the game went on, but the whole PLD line is the antithesis of the Danault line - three skilled players with inconsistent energy levels and zero chemistry at the moment.

Unfortunately, any line adjustments I'd recommend are too radical/line blender-ish and there's no way an expensive vet would be pushed down to the 4th line.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Show me the scouting where they talked about his shooting ability or this supposed ceiling that was well known. He had speed and hands to his name. That was it. Kempe is an anomaly and anyone who thinks he had this high probability of becoming this player is being dishonest and or delusional. Not one person here thought Kempe was going to be a 40 goal scorer. His projection was what bottom 6 fringe 2nd line potential. If you think it was obvious then I’d like you stake out some claims about these players right now who aren’t anything. Let’s see who you’re right about because apparently only you saw this coming and no one else. Inform us seer. What do you see of Byfield this season? Give me projected goals and assists.
I was talking about my opinion when watching him.
I don't follow scouts and never referenced his shooting ability and any ceiling that was well known.
LOL, dude you straight up tell lies when you are frustrated and Kempe has exceeded expectations a bit.
I thought he could be a 30+ goal guy.
Many others also believed.
Stop weaving your storylines into other peoples comments.
Byfield looked good early in the game and faded.
I would try PLD with Kopi and Kempe and Byfield centering Fiala and Turcote.
Byfield will be double digits in goals and assists regrdless if he gets bumped down the lineup or not.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
A win is much more fun to watch than a loss.

Hopefully the B squad can put up a fight against Anaheim

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
If you think Kempe isn’t an anomaly then you’d be a great scout lol

Surf Nutz is the kind of dude who would send a bunch of “scouting reports” (whereas they are just random gibberish about current players) to an organization on the weekly, but come to find out they weren’t even sent to the organization and in reality sent to his future self for his own enjoyment.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I wonder if Turcotte is a better fit next to Kopitar and Kempe than Byfield.

Turcotte - Kopitar - Kempe
Byfield - PLD - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson

Kaliyev ain’t it, I’m calling it now. I want him to succeed but I just don’t see it with Todd. He’s too soft and makes too many bad plays. He has earned zero trust except on the second power play.

He has all the tools, just no toolbox. He's just not a smart player. Some of his passes tonight were total headscratchers to open areas on the ice. Saw a lot of that last year too.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't follow scouts and never referenced his shooting ability and any ceiling that was well known.
LOL, dude you straight up tell lies when you are frustrated and Kempe has exceeded expectations a bit.
Byfield will be double digits in goals and assists regrdless if he gets bumped down the lineup or not.
Why don’t you guess on Byfield since you seem so accurate?

Anyways I’m happy Kempe is very good. I just think people like you are dishonest when you say you could see it coming. No one did.

Reactions: Faterson

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Seemed like the boys enjoyed the experience, the kings stayed out there after the coyotes left and had some smiles. Luc was the last one on the ice, looked like he bought the family
IMG_20230924_165555.jpg

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He is played well against bigger players in Sweden but he wasn’t lights out by any means. It was complete anomaly that he became the player he did 5-6 years after he was drafted when he had no ceiling of the sort on draft day, and then 6 years later he becomes a sniper. If you think Kempe isn’t an anomaly then you’d be a great scout lol
He developed into what I expected tbf (30g scorer based on scoring at the time he was drafted) but took a bit longer than I expected. I had him at around #20 in that draft so delighted with the pick. He always had the toolbox it was about if he was able to apply it properly. I have done a little scouting too, so thanks :naughty::laugh:

Byfield is out of shape, you can see him fade as the games have went on.

Did he put on weight? He's missing a step right now.

JAD looked terrible, Fagemo solidifying himself as an AAA guy.

Grundstrom is still like Durzi - Good play, bad play, good play, bad play.

Arty looked lost again, he looked far better last night.

Turcotte was fantastic. He's really got to bulk up, though.
If QB has added a lot of muscle that makes sense if he’s lacking stamina and a bit of jump. IF that’s the reason he’ll soon adjust.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Why don’t you guess on Byfield since you seem so accurate?

Anyways I’m happy Kempe is very good. I just think people like you are dishonest when you say you could see it coming. No one did.
No there were plenty of us who knew Kempe would be good. He was one of the only fun players to watch in those dismal years. No one said his shot would bethis good though.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
y'all need to get a room

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Well, a win is good, but there is still a ton of work to be done.

At this point, I’d be all for Q sitting a year in the AHL and planting Turcotte on Kopitars wing. The effectiveness of that line last night was entirely on the back of Turc. Q looks lost, has no confidence carrying the puck, and isn’t demonstrating any level of skill or playmaking that you’d expect of a top-6 forward.

Talbot played great, and looked very calm in net. Time will tell how many miles are left though.

Spence is playing with a lot of confidence, and skating great.

Toby had a great game as well.

Englund is a dumpster fire.

It was always going to take time, but there is a big disconnect between PLD and Fiala, hopefully they shake it in camp.

Lots of changes to come I’m sure, but it’s great to have hockey back.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well, a win is good, but there is still a ton of work to be done.

At this point, I’d be all for Q sitting a year in the AHL and planting Turcotte on Kopitars wing. The effectiveness of that line last night was entirely on the back of Turc. Q looks lost, has no confidence carrying the puck, and isn’t demonstrating any level of skill or playmaking that you’d expect of a top-6 forward.
This is an absolutely terrible take IMO. You're going to break what was one of the better lines in hockey based some pre-season games?

These scrimmages mean absolutely nothing.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
This is an absolutely terrible take IMO. You're going to break what was one of the better lines in hockey based some pre-season games?

These scrimmages mean absolutely nothing.
Sometimes, takes gotta be spicy like that, and it’s just what it seems to be from this point onwards.

Fancy stats were great for that line last year, but the eye test & the production levels aren’t matching up to that. Q just isn’t playing at that level, and it’s not really all that close.

I’d certainly be weary if he doesn’t snap out of it by the end of camp.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Fancy stats were great for that line last year, but the eye test & the production levels aren’t matching up to that. Q just isn’t playing at that level, and it’s not really all that close.
No. Their actual goals for percentage was 73.8%

3.91 goal per 60min. Only 8 lines in the entire NHL scored more goals than they did. And they was while facing some of toughest matchups in the league.

We're not going to break that up because of pre-season games.

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Just finished watching game two. Spence looked great again, and Turcotte was awesome. He transported the puck through the neutral zone well, and was tenacious all over the ice. The area pass to QB breaking in to start the game was great. Moverare looked solid as usual too.

Also, can we just pencil Juice in for 35 every year now? Dude is clinical!

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
No. Their actual goals for percentage was 73.8%

3.91 goal per 60min. Only 8 lines in the entire NHL scored more goals than they did. And they was while facing some of toughest matchups in the league.

We're not going to break that up because of pre-season games.
Again, as I said, the fancy stats for the line were good.

Q’s individual performance was, and is still, wanting.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Sometimes, takes gotta be spicy like that, and it’s just what it seems to be from this point onwards.

I’d certainly be weary if he doesn’t snap out of it by the end of camp.
This is it though… it’s camp.

Off season work is never as intense as camp, camp is never as intense as a competitive game, especially for those that are a lock for the roster. The guys trying to make the opening night play with a different edge or should at least.

For the guys that are locks they will be working on certain things but mostly making sure they are fully fit and timing things so they are dialled in on opening night. It’s just a different curve and a slightly different process and there’s a good chance they have slightly different instructions from the coaching staff.

This isn’t me defending anyone specifically as I haven’t seen a single shift but it’s telling that the fringe players seem to be getting the majority of the praise and thats what I‘d expect.

The goaltending battle is interesting as there’s genuine competition for the order for the 1-2-3 spots. I think Copley is a lock for the roster but not as #1, Talbot has a genuine chance to claim that job. Rittich gets the chance if either falter and will hopefully be good enough to keep them both honest. I think we will see those guys playing hard throughout camp.

Guys like #11, #8, as the obvious example, will just take their time and be ready for opening night. So when different players have different goals and aims from camp it makes valid assessments of certain players,
lines, systems execution hard at this stage. It’s only the last couple of games that I pay any real attention to in terms of form of the main roster players. These games for me is about assessing the fringe guys who are trying to earn a spot.

So the important things for me right now are (goaltending apart):
JAD vs Turcotte vs Kaliyev (I think Arty is vulnerable unfortunately)
Björnfot vs Englund
Spence vs Clarke (obviously only when Clarke is fit)
Doty trying to earn a job (and contract) as the tough guy on specific nights.

Those are the guys I expect to be playing with an extra edge/tempo to their games at this stage which, from what I’ve read, seems to be the case apart from Englund maybe.

From a team point I genuinely don’t care about system execution right now. However if it’s correct that the PK system is unchanged that bothers me greatly.

Reactions: Johnny Utah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad