2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah f*** off.

I would sincerely prefer to have Wright and Leonard!

Cooley and Benson would be sick too! Caufield - Cooley - Benson give me chills!
Really? Wright? He's just continued his poor performances since the draft. I was screaming from the rafters for cooley but even Slaf is 2x better than Wright lol.

Reactions: le_sean

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm just asking how Dvorsky comapres to Hischier? Idk if he does yet?

They're quite different players. While Dvorsky is an average to above average skater, Hischier is a great skater whose game is built around that, while Dvorsky's game is based on a more procedural approach. Hischier uses speed to attack, whereas Dvorsky uses his skating and puck protection to establish zone possession, and work from there.

Also it should be said, Hischier stepped right into the NHL and put up 52 points and 20 goals. That's not happening with Dvorsky, I think he needs some more time playing in a lesser league.

Reactions: Habby Patty

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
That would be absolutely fantastic, a top line PF with 80-90 pts potential + a strong top 6 puck possession center with 70-80 pts potential, Im sold. :thumbu:

Dvorsky is everything fans hoped Wright would be, cant go wrong here.
I’ve heard Slaf has 100-120pts potential actually… He’s also better at hockey than every other player. He’s like a premium McDavid tbh.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Hopefully I don't get a bunch of quotes from draft purists as I'm not advocating size over skills but the Habs need a mix if prospects in their pool, so they better grab a few more forwards with size.

Amen.

I know you can easily put too much stock in the U18 tournament but Dvorsky's play was an advertisement of why skill in a big package is such a valuable commodity. Fantilli, Carlson or Dvorsky please.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Who are some guys who have one or two really special abilities, but for whatever reason have yet to put it together?

Some examples from last year would be Filmon, Gendron, and our very own Engström.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Goldenhands has always been a Slaf hater, claiming that he's merely the next Rantanen, and not the next Lemieux.
A player with 130 pts upside needs to be trusted, Goldenhands clearly doesn’t have the player’s best interests at heart.

Amen.

I know you can easily put too much stock in the U18 tournament but Dvorsky's play was an advertisement of why skill in a big package is such a valuable commodity. Fantilli, Carlson or Dvorsky please.
Why was Dvorsky, with his big package and skill, unable to score points in the Swedish men’s league?

Reactions: NotProkofievian

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
A stat like this is beyond irrelevant with how much the team you're on plays a MASSIVE relevance to it.
Having said that, he had a great last game

Wow, KK, has already played 51 playoff games. All things considered 12 goals in 51 games is pretty good but nothing mind blowing. Suzuki has scored his 11 goals in 32 playoff games for comparison sake.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wow, KK, has already played 51 playoff games. All things considered 12 goals in 51 games is pretty good but nothing mind blowing. Suzuki has scored his 11 goals in 32 playoff games for comparison sake.

I just want to see what KK will be ine when he's in his prime. That will be the proof in the pudding of who he is.

Obscure stats won't reduce the drama that comes with waiting to find out.

who's the best goalie in this draft class?

Especially with goalies, chances are the so called best goalie going into the draft will be a lesser NHL goalie than some goalie, likely from Russia, taken in the 3rd round or later.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Really? Wright? He's just continued his poor performances since the draft. I was screaming from the rafters for cooley but even Slaf is 2x better than Wright lol.
I 100% agree. I also still pick Slaf ahead of Cooley personally.

I was sarcastically answering the other poster who said Slafkovsky and Dvorksy would be a disappointment. I simply said Wright and Benson or etc would not be better.

People want to tank forever but its another story when you realise you are not guaranteed a McDavid or a Matthews.

Reactions: Kaladin

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Why was Dvorsky, with his big package and skill, unable to score points in the Swedish men’s league?
Its a good question that needs a pragmatic analysis.

Elias Petterson was PPG in this league in his draft year. Lekkerimaki had more points in the SHL last year then he had this year in the Allvenskan. Context matter.

Dvorsky has played with the worst team in this league. He also had low TOI and he did not have prime offensive minutes. Those are defensive league where most team plays the trap. Its unwatchable seriously. That does not explain everything of course but its something to consider. He is totally obliterating his peers tho. Dvorsky does not have the offensive tools of Petterson.

One thing, Fantilli will be 19 when the next NHL season starts. Dvorsky will still be 18 when the Stanley Cup is lifted in 2024. I hope Dvorsky will make the Slovakian team for the World Cup, that should give us a brighter idea of his ultimate potential.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ryan Leonard plays more like Keith Tkachuk than his sons Brady or Mathew Tkachuk.
Leonard competes hard but haven’t seen that Tkachuk edge at all. He won’t be fighting people, talking loads of crap at the opposing bench, or mixing it up after the whistle. Leonard to me is all business and that’s fine as it is.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
A player with 130 pts upside needs to be trusted, Goldenhands clearly doesn’t have the player’s best interests at heart.

I watched a bit of Dvorskys league play, and it wasn’t a case where he was overwhelmed in the league. He was playing with plugs on his line, frequently Dvorsky would see thing they wouldn’t see. And as others said his role and TOI wasn’t optimal for production either.

And that’s why often production can be misleading as your linemates and usage have major impacts on your production. But Dvorskys skills were evident and he played a big body game against men that was very impressive, no fear at all in this kid.

The one thing he needs to work on is consistency in his stride, but otherwise he’s the complete package.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Wright looked great in the OHL and his first stint in the AHL. The playoffs were a different story and that is a concern but you can't just ignore the majority of his work this season. He was never given a chance in Seattle as they have a deep lineup and were gunning for a playoff spot right out of the gate. Slaf struggled mightily and didn't remotely prove any detractors wrong although he never had the opportunity that Wright had to light up lesser leagues. If Wright was drafted by Montreal he likely would have been given the same opportunity that Slaf was given and very well might have impressed more than Slaf did.

In the end both players had old criticisms float back to the surface and serious questions about both players remain unanswered so to take a definitive side by saying one was much better than the other smells more of tribal bias than it does of an objective comparative analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad