2023 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
For god sake, he played in the NHL in his D+1, what were you expecting?? Kid is still raw, needs to keep adjusting to the lack of time and space of the NHL, he is still growing into his body, still need to mature physically and as a hockey player. I mean, I had 0 expectation when it came to his offensive production in his D+1, NHL is a tough league and few kids can make it post draft. Slaf is still green and because he is huge already doesnt mean he is a finished product, thats actually the opposite since big kids usually take longer to mature and reach their prime.

Most 1st OV in recent history are either not starting in the NHL right away or struggling there.

Jiricek, Nemec, Cooley, Wright ect all played in at inferior level post draft year.

I have a very simple straight forward answer: Slaf wasn't up to the challenge mentally. He was certainly ready physically, he has more than most players ever have physically. Matthew Wood wishes he could move like Slafkovsky. My god, could you imagine?

Compare the parsimony of my answer, with your non-answer. It's really quite easy to be honest about a player's faults, even if you like the player.

Samuel Poulin outproduced Kirby Dach in their draft year.

William Eklund and Alexander Holtz both massively outproduced Lucas Raymond.

Ryan Strome almost doubled Landeskog production in their draft year. Dylan Strome outproduced a plethora of other CHLers.

Kakko is the 2nd most productive 18YO in the Liiga after Barkov, ahead of Laine.

Wanna know Aho production in his draft year?l

Lane Hutson more than doubled Owen Power production.

Want more?

Its just one variable of the complex equation.

So what's your answer then? Mine is that he doesn't understand, or hasn't yet understood the game very well. Yours is?

Reactions: ReHabs

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I have a very simple straight forward answer: Slaf wasn't up to the challenge mentally. He was certainly ready physically, he has more than most players ever have physically. Matthew Wood wishes he could move like Slafkovsky. My god, could you imagine?

Compare the parsimony of my answer, with your non-answer. It's really quite easy to be honest about a player's faults, even if you like the player.

So what's your answer then? Mine is that he doesn't understand, or hasn't yet understood the game very well. Yours is?
Wood won’t even be in the NHL his 18 year old season lol

Why do you think that is??? He’s clearly got the size to step into the league…

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
what's your answer then? Mine is that he doesn't understand, or hasn't yet understood the game very well. Yours is?
He is an 18 years old who played in a defensive league with bottom six minutes in a team that plays the trap. Most productive player in his team had 39 points in 50 games.

Different ice size rink, different style of play. There is a transition period.

We can agree he hasnt yet understood the game very well.

But once he does (if he does), i think we can expect a parabolic uptick in his development curve.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
NP raises a good point. Why was a weaker, slower, younger and less skilled kotkaniemi better in the NHL, in a tougher situation than Slafkovsky was?
Younger, you mean a few weeks? i dont recall who KK linemates were, but Slaf was stuck with Evans for the most part of the season. Its also meaningless that KK was slightly more productive in his D+1 since thats an adjustment year first and foremost. Of course, if you are a stats freak, you might not understand it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If he’s too slow for the NHL why draft him at all? You really think it’s that that would keep him out of the NHL next year???

Ask the NHL scouting teams that have him top 12. If the team that drafts him is smart they'd let him play one more year in the NCAA, which is more than I can say for Montreal.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills having to make the case for Wood's hockey IQ. You think just anyone walks into the NCAA as a 17 year old and leads their team in scoring? Slowest guy on the ice, youngest guy on the ice, and yet an offensive leader. Like, what else could it be?

He is an 18 years old who played in a defensive league with bottom six minutes in a team that plays the trap. Most productive player in his team had 39 points in 50 games.

Different ice size rink, different style of play. There is a transition period.

We can agree he hasnt yet understood the game very well.

But once he does (if he does), i think we can expect a parabolic uptick in his development curve.

That's all I want to agree on, I'll take it.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ask the NHL scouting teams that have him top 12. If the team that drafts him is smart they'd let him play one more year in the NCAA, which is more than I can say for Montreal.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills having to make the case for Wood's hockey IQ. You think just anyone walks into the NCAA as a 17 year old and leads their team in scoring? Slowest guy on the ice, youngest guy on the ice, and yet an offensive leader. Like, what else could it be?
Woods an intriguing player. There’s no doubt about it. Very productive year and has a rare combo of size and skills. But as you admit his skating is terrible.

I just don’t think he has this elite IQ that you’re talking about.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Was not convinced about his technique at all... But yeah, he is huge. Has good odds of being the first goalie picked.

His technique was fine, nor is a goalies technical ability at 18 anything to worry about.

When he got tired, his technique broke down. Against the Swedes they needed a 5 on 3 to beat him.

He will take some time, all goalies do, especially big goalies. But the upside is immense. To be that athletic and impressive at 18 and 6'6" is unique

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Woods an intriguing player. There’s no doubt about it. Very productive year and has a rare combo of size and skills. But as you admit his skating is terrible.

I just don’t think he has this elite IQ that you’re talking about.

We can argue about elite, but I think it's inarguable that it's an asset. I just don't see how it would be possible otherwise. He'd be too far behind the play.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We can argue about elite, but I think it's inarguable that it's an asset. I just don't see how it would be possible otherwise. He'd be too far behind the play.
IQ is hard to qualify so it’s a bit silly to argue about it. I’m not concerned about his IQ, I just don’t think it’s a standout trait. His size and skill combo is what stands out for him.

Some guys just ooze IQ. Suzuki was one of those players. Ryan O’Reilly too etc I don’t see Wood as that type. He’s able to dominate lesser competition due to his size and skill combo. If his IQ was elite he’d play in the NHL at 18 considering his size and the season he just had- yet I think that is very unlikely.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's slow as shit.

I can be honest about that. I don't understand what's so difficult about admitting Slaf's faults.

He is slow with the puck on his stick but moves well without it, this is very much an IQ issue as he appears to be uncertain where to go or where his teammates are going to go. This is also partly why he gets clobbered as he has his head down too often because he loses track of where the puck is because he doesn't have a clear picture of what to do when he is carrying the puck.

Just my opinion but that is what I see in him and he will need to fix it.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
IQ is hard to qualify so it’s a bit silly to argue about it. I’m not concerned about his IQ, I just don’t think it’s a standout trait. His size and skill combo is what stands out for him.

Some guys just ooze IQ. Suzuki was one of those players. Ryan O’Reilly too etc I don’t see Wood as that type. He’s able to dominate lesser competition due to his size and skill combo. If his IQ was elite he’d play in the NHL at 18 considering his size and the season he just had- yet I think that is very unlikely.
The thing is, Wood (compared to Slafkovsky last year for example) does not really use his size to produce. He is definetely not doing well in the NCAA because of his size. Skill sure, but he is not physically dominating his competition. I'd actually argue the opposite, he is less ready than most prospects in this draft because he is still quite awkward in his body (like KK was for example).

O'reilly and Suzuki show 200 foot smarts. That's not what I would compare Wood to. Wood has an incredible understanding of how the play develops in the O-zone, that's where he has very high hockey IQ. Much more like Jason Robertson or Correy Perry. Honestly, I'm not sure how you can watch this guy play and think that he doesn't have superior understanding and reactions in the offensive zone. He is just so damn effective.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Suzuki is obviously a high IQ player. And if we look at him there's a similar pattern: a trend of offensive excellence despite limiting physical factors.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The thing is, Wood (compared to Slafkovsky last year for example) does not really use his size to produce. He is definetely not doing well in the NCAA because of his size. Skill sure, but he is not physically dominating his competition. I'd actually argue the opposite, he is less ready than most prospects in this draft because he is still quite awkward in his body (like KK was for example).

O'reilly and Suzuki show 200 foot smarts. That's not what I would compare Wood to. Wood has an incredible understanding of how the play develops in the O-zone, that's where he has very high hockey IQ. Much more like Jason Robertson or Correy Perry. Honestly, I'm not sure how you can watch this guy play and think that he doesn't have superior understanding and reactions in the offensive zone. He is just so damn effective.
I grade IQ and offensive vision as separate traits. I agree he has very good offensive vision when he’s got the puck. But there are also times where I see him kind of float around aimlessly when he doesn’t have the puck. To me that’s why I don’t think I would qualify his IQ as some standout trait. There are aspects of his hockey brain I like and other aspects I’m not high on.

To be clear I like him, I just don’t think

A) He’s a superior prospect to Slafkovsky
B) his IQ is a cut above Slafkovskys.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I grade IQ and offensive vision as separate traits. I agree he has very good offensive vision when he’s got the puck. But there are also times where I see him kind of float around aimlessly when he doesn’t have the puck. To me that’s why I don’t think I would qualify his IQ as some standout trait. There are aspects of his hockey brain I like and other aspects I’m not high on.

I guess the problem is the comparison with Slafkovsky.
I don't think he is a superiro prospect to Slafkovsky either, I just think he has way more offensive instincts vs Slaf who has very little.

Reactions: ReHabs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He is slow with the puck on his stick but moves well without it, this is very much an IQ issue as he appears to be uncertain where to go or where his teammates are going to go. This is also partly why he gets clobbered as he has his head down too often because he loses track of where the puck is because he doesn't have a clear picture of what to do when he is carrying the puck.

That's a coordination issue, IMO. He's a huge dude who's still a bit clumsy. My bet is that it won't always be the case, and then he'll be a real force in the NHL.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I guess the problem is the comparison with Slafkovsky.
I don't think he is a superiro prospect to Slafkovsky either, I just think he has way more offensive instincts vs Slaf who has very little.
There is very strong recency bias with you last sentence. Slaf struggled at 18 in the NHL but very few players don’t. Wood would struggle if he was in the NHL at 18, I have little doubt there.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

He's not a superior prospect to Slafkovsky. Disagree on B.

Reactions: ginomini

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's not a superior prospect to Slafkovsky. Disagree on B.
Since IQ is so hard to qualify, to me there are basically three tiers of IQ.

Elite: guys whose IQ really standout.
Solid: basically 90% of players in the NHL
Poor: guys who’s IQ will always hold them back.

Like with most prospects, I think both Slaf and Wood are part of that middle “solid” group.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Since IQ is so hard to qualify, to me there are basically three tiers of IQ.

Elite: guys whose IQ really standout.
Solid: basically 90% of players in the NHL
Poor: guys who’s IQ will always hold them back.

Like with most prospects, I think both Slaf and Wood are part of that middle “solid” group.

We're both 80-20 guys, so what do you reckon?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Totally agree, he can really fly down the NZ without the puck, he opens up the ice alot when he skates down the middle, with the puck not so much so far

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
@NotProkofievian haven’t really gotten to the grade point for Wood yet, but from what I’ve seen I’d say he’ll be around a 55, maybe a 50 for IQ and a 60 for vision.

Forget what I had for Slaf, but think he was around a 50/55. Wood probably has the edge but they are in the same realm IMO.

Reactions: NotProkofievian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad