GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No CBJ has been playing coy - they will pick Carlsson or Fantilli. Nobody talks to media about anything without Jarmo’s approval. This Smith thing started with Portzline (beat reporter and hasn’t had an inside source for a few years) clear speculation like he floated #3oa for Lindholm and made that up out of whole cloth. Clear conjecture and the same about Anaheim.

I am here because of sources not Portzline, saying CBJ inquired a possibility trying to obtain Hertl???? Have you heard anything like that??
Playing coy? What exactly is the point of that? You’ll get Smith and you’ll like him.

You can screenshot that and post it back in the Jackets thread if you want.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Playing coy? What exactly is the point of that? You’ll get Smith and you’ll like him.

You can screenshot that and post it back in the Jackets thread if you want.
Playing coy - being that everyone does that trying to get someone to overpay to the extreme. Montreal has been rumored to have an affinity for Smith and trying to move up.

San Jose is the enigma because they can go Michkov, they can go center, they go defense and they aren’t on a timeline to make play-offs this year or next (as far I have read)?

Quote from the article above but applies to every franchise -

It’s a lesson that gets repeated every season. The closer we get to the NHL Draft, the more the misdirection and misinformation flows. Some of it is a product of questionably sourced information. Some of it is purposeful misinformation, planted to throw other teams off the scent. Some of it may even represent uncertainty on the part of teams’ scouting staffs; especially in a year when there are multiple players close in ability (albeit with different skill sets) at that stage of the draft.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Playing coy - being that everyone does that trying to get someone to overpay to the extreme. Montreal has been rumored to have an affinity for Smith and trying to move up.

San Jose is the enigma because they can go Michkov, they can go center, they go defense and they aren’t on a timeline to make play-offs this year or next (as far I have read)?

Quote from the article above but applies to every franchise -

It’s a lesson that gets repeated every season. The closer we get to the NHL Draft, the more the misdirection and misinformation flows. Some of it is a product of questionably sourced information. Some of it is purposeful misinformation, planted to throw other teams off the scent. Some of it may even represent uncertainty on the part of teams’ scouting staffs; especially in a year when there are multiple players close in ability (albeit with different skill sets) at that stage of the draft.

Excellent post. The Sharks (Dean Lombardi) used to be excellent at this...but sometimes you miss the forest for the trees with this strategy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
In the unlikely event the Ducks pick Michkov. Here is my updated top 5 predicted picks.
1.Chi- Bedard
2.Ana- Michkov
3.CBJ- Fantilli
4.SJ- Carlsson
5.MTL- Smith

Hoping we can get at least a 1st this year for EK. Id be happy with a 3rd for Kahkonen because I really don’t think you’re getting more than that. Might we see a potential deal where we take a camp dump for an extra asset somewhere?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Are you sure Grier would pick Carlsson over Smith?
I’m not at all sure. I think Carlsson is the more NHL ready prospect which makes him more attractive to a GM like Grier who wants to turn this thing around in a brick by brick methodical yet nimble fashion. In all honesty It’s mainly what I hope happens.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Are you sure Grier would pick Carlsson over Smith?
Carlsson matches the vision Grier has for the team, which is the hockey cliche of "hard to play against." Smith's lack of defensive acumen is a strike against him when compared to Carlsson, not to mention his style of play is not the best come playoff time unless he has the luxury of being insulated by better matchup players and a coach who is great at getting matchups (an example is how Phil Kessel was used on the Penguins).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
My prediction for today:

- Will Smith drafted
- Erik Karlsson not traded
- The Sharks move up from 26
Boooo too safe.

Im going

Leo Carlsson drafted

Erik Karlsson dealt and includes a late first

Trade down from 26

spitballing: Think Grier has a deal lined up for Ek65 depending on whos available at that pick?
Its certainly possible. Seattle picks 20, Leafs pick 28 and Carolina picks 30th

My prediction for today is under 20 "Fire MG" messages...
I could make those numbers myself, im taking the over

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
No CBJ has been playing coy - they will pick Carlsson or Fantilli. Nobody talks to media about anything without Jarmo’s approval. This Smith thing started with Portzline (beat reporter and hasn’t had an inside source for a few years) clear speculation like he floated #3oa for Lindholm and made that up out of whole cloth. Clear conjecture and the same about Anaheim.

I am here because of sources not Portzline, saying CBJ inquired a possibility trying to obtain Hertl???? Have you heard anything like that??
Just like everyone knew you all were taking Kent Johnson, Zach Werenski, etc. Don't pay attention beyond that because SJ was not picking near enough to CBJ to care, but in the only two instances that the two teams have, everyone knew your pick so enough with the Jarmo secrecy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad