GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
I wonder how Brieres bad trade to St. Louis is going to affect Karlsson getting moved. It’s essentially set the market for 50% retention
Sheng Peng article at SJHockeyNow. GM Grier also made it clear that the San Jose Sharks aren’t retaining 50 percent of Karlsson’s contract, though he did concede that they’d probably have a little wiggle room.

“At some point, there’ll probably have to be a little bit of give on our side,” he said. “We’re not just going to, people think we’re gonna eat 50 percent of his contract, it’s probably not going to happen.”

Grier Talks Karlsson Trade, No. 4 Pick, Jumbo’s Future

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Sheng Peng article at SJHockeyNow. GM Grier also made it clear that the San Jose Sharks aren’t retaining 50 percent of Karlsson’s contract, though he did concede that they’d probably have a little wiggle room.

“At some point, there’ll probably have to be a little bit of give on our side,” he said. “We’re not just going to, people think we’re gonna eat 50 percent of his contract, it’s probably not going to happen.”

Grier Talks Karlsson Trade, No. 4 Pick, Jumbo’s Future
If I had to guess I’d say as close to 50 as possible. 40%? 35? I mean, it’s not his money, it’s Hasso’s. Hasso needs to understand the more money you eat, the better the return. I can only assume Grier has made that known to ownership if they didn’t already know. I get the sense Grier was kind of, In a way, talking about the teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Carolina, that would actually NEED that much retention. It ain’t happenin. For an organization like Seattle, 50% isn’t needed I wouldn’t think. 30% would be the sweet spot to make it a good deal for both sides.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That’s exactly why I’d never pay to go to a Sharks’ playoff game, personally. The only playoff game I’ve ever been to was against Vancouver in 2011, which my parents gave me as a high school graduation gift. I can’t remember which game number it was but it was the only one in the series that we won. Marleau scored at least two goals, which was awesome, but I also remember that was the game that one of the Canucks defensemen took a huge hit and they had to stop play for like fifteen minutes which they attended to him. I can’t say it was the funnest time I’ve ever had at a hockey game, even though it ended well.

I’ve never been, gonna spend a few days in the city after the draft just to hang. If anyone has a suggestions for things to do or places to go, hit me up (keeping in mind that it’s gonna be a thousand degrees out).

I haven’t seen a ton of games live but one I’ll always remember is the Round 2 game 7 win against Detroit. It was bananas. Datsyuk scored a basically impossible goal backhanded — it was insanely fun.

I’ve been surprisingly lucky at Sharks games - I’ve seen maybe 5-6 live and they’ve always won.

Reactions: Sandisfan

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
If I had to guess I’d say as close to 50 as possible. 40%? 35? I mean, it’s not his money, it’s Hasso’s. Hasso needs to understand the more money you eat, the better the return. I can only assume Grier has made that known to ownership if they didn’t already know. I get the sense Grier was kind of, In a way, talking about the teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Carolina, that would actually NEED that much retention. It ain’t happenin. For an organization like Seattle, 50% isn’t needed I wouldn’t think. 30% would be the sweet spot to make it a good deal for both sides.
The only team that would have the cap space is Seattle. If the Krakens would part with Shane Wright, plus a couple of 3/4th rd draft picks. Sharks should trade them EK65 plus this year #26 overall, plus the Sharks should retain 50%. Aside from that no.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I mean, I’ve wanted to attend an NHL draft ever since I started following the draft in 2011. It’s only that this is the year it’s worked out and the Sharks having a high pick is the cherry on top.

I could never be zen about a Sharks’ SCF final game. I literally failed a final exam that almost stopped me graduating university in 2016 because it was at the same time as SCF game 5 and I was unfocused and distracted the whole time.
I'm thinking about going to the one in Vegas next year with my friend who's a VGK fan. Kinda a two birds with one stone deal. That could be fun but we haven't gotten into the details on that one yet.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009

IMG_3060.jpeg

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
Seems like it's smith or Carlsson at this point so regardless we walk away with a number 1 center prospect.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
This is dream. And hopefully CBJ really likes Smith.
No CBJ has been playing coy - they will pick Carlsson or Fantilli. Nobody talks to media about anything without Jarmo’s approval. This Smith thing started with Portzline (beat reporter and hasn’t had an inside source for a few years) clear speculation like he floated #3oa for Lindholm and made that up out of whole cloth. Clear conjecture and the same about Anaheim.

I am here because of sources not Portzline, saying CBJ inquired a possibility trying to obtain Hertl???? Have you heard anything like that??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad