2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The idea of not drafting a player because they're from a country that "doesn't produce hockey players" is awfully bad logic.
Yep. This is the same thinking that had Kopitar fall in 2005. Slovenia? Who have they ever produced?

Actually, now that I think about it, it's worse. It be like if Kopitar in his draft year was productive in the SHL (probably just a step above NLA) rather than Swedish Jr's.

Not saying Reinbacher is a slam dunk - there's the top 3 (maybe 4 with Michkov) who are basically locks - but he's tracking rather well in a men's league that's only behind the SHL, AHL and KHL.

Reactions: sting101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks could add a second rounder in this draft; and maybe another in third by trading Boeser or Garland; according to my count they'd have eight selections in the first four rounds.

Regardless of how they do it--I think they should prioritize recovering a least a second rounder in this draft.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If the Canucks could add a second rounder in this draft; and maybe another in third by trading Boeser or Garland; according to my count they'd have eight selections in the first four rounds.

Regardless of how they do it--I think they should prioritize recovering a least a second rounder in this draft.

Gut reaction is that the team really doesn't care in that they traded both their 2nd and the NYI 1st for a decent player to be sure but not really in line with our prime versus his prime.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
For those worried we will be drafting Reinbacher, I wouldn't worry too much... Because kid is going to be gone by the time we pick.

Big toolsy defenders don't grow on trees, especially ones with IQ as high as his. I feel like people form an opinion without even watching a kid play. I've seen comparisons to Juolevi to Bryan Allen...

Reinbacher is a stud. Kid is going to be an all situations defender, who can play the right side. Many of you are going to be surprised.

Reactions: wetcoast

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
For those worried we will be drafting Reinbacher, I wouldn't worry too much... Because kid is going to be gone by the time we pick.

Big toolsy defenders don't grow on trees, especially ones with IQ as high as his. I feel like people form an opinion without even watching a kid play. I've seen comparisons to Juolevi to Bryan Allen...

Reinbacher is a stud. Kid is going to be an all situations defender, who can play the right side. Many of you are going to be surprised.

Who is worried that we will be drafting him? Most people are worried that he will be gone by the time we make our pick.

Theres a clear top 8 for me and a significant drop after.

By significant, i mean theres no difference between drafting 9 or 20 in my opinion.

Reactions: Vector

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Who is worried that we will be drafting him? Most people are worried that he will be gone by the time we make our pick.

Theres a clear top 8 for me and a significant drop after.

By significant, i mean theres no difference between drafting 9 or 20 in my opinion.
Who's your number 8?

Pistol Petey

Jul 11, 2021
I'm just curious, is there a reason why everyone seems to be so high on Reinbacher, or is it basically because he's the best RHD ranked in the draft and Canucks blueline is just awful?

Reactions: DFAC

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm just curious, is there a reason why everyone seems to be so high on Reinbacher, or is it basically because he's the best RHD ranked in the draft and Canucks blueline is just awful?
I haven't seen a second of his tape but establishing yourself in a men's league at that age is a pretty damn good sign.

The success of the Seider pick probably is part of the hype too.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There's always a dman in every draft that gets ranked highly for no reason other than the fact they are defensemen. Hayden Fleury was a really meh defenseman who somehow got picked 7th in 2014.

Granted, Reinbacher is a complete unknown as I have only watched clips of him so far.

Pistol Petey

Jul 11, 2021
There's always a dman in every draft that gets ranked highly for no reason other than the fact they are defensemen. Hayden Fleury was a really meh defenseman who somehow got picked 7th in 2014.

Granted, Reinbacher is a complete unknown as I have only watched clips of him so far.
This is kinda the vibe I'm getting from all the Reinbacher hype. I did however watch a few games from him and he did seem like a really good player, but the hype over here seems absolutely ridicilous. It wouldn't surprise me if Sandin-Pelikka turns out to be a way better player.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Cristall shouldnt even be on the Canucks radar with our first pick. Any chance of him wearing a Canuck uniform went out the window when we traded the NYI pick. Small forward who is one dimensional and needs to improve on skating? Its just not worth the risk vs reward. We need this pick to hit.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
After the top 8 picks theres a group of players that are all the same.

Leonard
Yager
Sale
Dvorsky
Danielson
Heidt
Cristall
ASP
Gulyayev
Barlow
Honzek

Not in order btw.

Thats what i mean by picks 9-20 being no different. Can you really argue that you would trade lets say a 2nd round pick to move up in the draft to go from a ASP to a Leonard/Cristall or Yager etc?

There could be another couple players you could add here as well.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
This is kinda the vibe I'm getting from all the Reinbacher hype. I did however watch a few games from him and he did seem like a really good player, but the hype over here seems absolutely ridicilous. It wouldn't surprise me if Sandin-Pelikka turns out to be a way better player.
Top pairing defenders that can shoulder tons of high leverage minutes are worth their weight in gold. The only things more difficult to acquire are 1st line centers and actual #1 dmen.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

Size, skating, IQ, tools, and he's a RHD.

He's got a solid frame and he knows how to use it. He has a sneaky meanstreak, and the kid is tough. His gap control defensively on a bigger ice surface is pretty impressive. It's only going to get better once he comes to a smaller ice surface in North America. He has a very good stick and he has a long reach. Defensively the kid is rarely out of position, hence why you see people compare him to Slavin and Pesce.

Him being so good defensively kind of make people think he's limited offensively. His biggest weapon offensively is probably his shot. He has an amazing slapshot, and a wicked wrister. It doesn't get talked about enough how good of a shot he really has. He needs to work on his accuracy a little bit, but it's not like he's missing the net entirely. Hes also a very good passer IMO. He's got good vision, and hes always making the right play.

He hasn't put everything together, but if he does he's going to be a franchise defenseman, who plays in all situations. He's definetly a riser come draft day, whoever gets him is getting a stud.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Unfortunately scouting reports are hesitant on pointing out negatives. Instead , only mention positives and sometimes those positives are nothing compared to the competition. Everyone is a plus skater until you put them with the best. Reinbacher biggest negative that he isn’t physical . Bulis had a mean streak too and jumped on players to ride on, so would you consider that a plus?

Seider at the same age was much better player than Reinbacher and even Seider was considered a complete stretch of a pick when the wings selected him. He already had the physicality and offensive ability down .

Last edited:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Unfortunately scouting reports are hesitant on pointing out negatives. Instead , only mention positives and sometimes those positives are nothing compared to the competition. Everyone is a plus skater until you put them with the best. Reinbacher biggest negative that he isn’t physical . Bulis had a mean streak too and jumped on players to ride on, so would you consider that a plus?

Seider at the same age was much better player than Reinbacher and even Seider was considered a complete stretch of a pick when the wings selected him.

He may not be overly physical, but he most definetly is not soft. Would he rather use his positioning, feet, and reach to break up a defensive play rather than laying some out? Yeah he would, but I've seen the kid use his body to break up defensive plays.

The question was why people like Reinbacher, not what are his flaws. Obviously he has his flaws or he would be going no. 1 overall, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a high ceiling himself.

No one is comparing the kid to Seider(I'm not even sure where this comparison even comes from, other than they are big and skate well), if he was to have a comparable his PLAY STYLE is more Heiskanen. I truly do believe the kid is going to be a top pairing all around beast. I would love to Canucks to draft him, as I believe he compliments Hughes, but I have a feeling he's going to go top 5.

Last edited:

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Keep in mind Reinbach does not have elite speed. He’s not the fastest guy and his skating will need improvement. Being good skater for his size does not mean he’s a fast skater . One of his biggest assets is his active stick . Do these attributes remind you of a recent Canucks draftee that didn’t pan out ? 🤷‍♂️

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Keep in mind Reinbach does not have elite speed. He’s not the fastest guy and his skating will need improvement. Being good skater for his size does not mean he’s a fast skater . One of his biggest assets is his active stick . Do these attributes remind you of a recent Canucks draftee that didn’t pan out ? 🤷‍♂️
Your continued criticism of this player is really bizarre and I’m getting the sense that you haven’t watched him. Regardless, he won’t be available to the Canucks so nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad