2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
That’s fair…. I’m just basing my guess on 50 years of Canucks luck…. I’m hoping my pessimistic attitude brings them some luck
Let's hope we don't cancel each other out as far as luck goes.

DISCLAIMER for the Hockey Gods: I don't believe in luck and I am not superstitious at all.

Reactions: Nucker42

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Reinbacher and Moore are the easy choices.

The issue is let's say the top 4 go as planned
5 is Benson/Smith
6 is Benson/Smith
7 is Reinbacher
8 is Moore

Who you got at 9?

I'd probably go Leonard/Yager

No dman is worth taking at 9 after Reinbacher.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Reinbacher and Moore are the easy choices.

The issue is let's say the top 4 go as planned
5 is Benson/Smith
6 is Benson/Smith
7 is Reinbacher
8 is Moore

Who you got at 9?

I'd probably go Leonard/Yager

No dman is worth taking at 9 after Reinbacher.

Completely agree with your line of thinking. Each player you name above would be in my top 10 along with Riley Heidt.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
The more I think about it the more that I think Moore and Reinbacher are going to be the 2 names this Organization will be chosing. They fits our needs and the style of players that this management group has been getting. If they arent available I could see Allvin trading down and trying to acquire a 2nd 1st round pick

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I see about 4 tiers

Bedard

Carlsson
Michkov
Fantilli

Smith
Benson

Moore
Reinbacher

Let's just hope Canucks can snag at least one of these guys. The best case scenario is Michkov falls and we pick him 8/9 or we win the draft lottery.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Best case scenario looking at canucks drafting history, i would propably draft only safe picks lmao. Like if you see guaranteed 2nd liner in first top 10, pick him without hesitation, much better than fringe nhl-er.

Dvorskys upside might be a second liner. He is not guarantee to be one.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Best case scenario looking at canucks drafting history, i would propably draft only safe picks lmao. Like if you see guaranteed 2nd liner in first top 10, pick him without hesitation, much better than fringe nhl-er.
presented without further comment:
1678497708992.png

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Sorry to break it to you all but Reinbacher isnt going to be there at 10

Worst case scenario.
Yeah I dont agree with it but just have a feeling thats what we will end up doing. Good 2 way center with size just screams this managements pick

Id go for a guy like Moore or Cristall over Dvorsky

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Wasn't Joulevi also supposed to be the "safe" pick for dmen?

You are best to go for the player you believe in the most, and this can be a safe player in some circumstances and swing for the fences in others. Then you have to give them everything they need to succeed.

Sorry to break it to you all but Reinbacher isnt going to be there at 10

Yeah I dont agree with it but just have a feeling thats what we will end up doing. Good 2 way center with size just screams this managements pick

Id go for a guy like Moore or Cristall over Dvorsky

I think its hard to project after the top 3 until we know the draft order. Some teams may value a different position and that could change the order. Just too many variables at the moment.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I just want to let everybody know, I am the leader of #TeamReinbacher.

If you would like to join in, feel free to ask me, I’ll send out referrals to all!
I like him but depending on where we finish I think we might reach for the high floor RHD instead of best player and would have been fine with that had we kept our second rounder and the NYI first which would have given the team more flexibility but with only 1 pick until the 3rd round we have to hit a home run.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wasn't Joulevi also supposed to be the "safe" pick for dmen?

You are best to go for the player you believe in the most, and this can be a safe player in some circumstances and swing for the fences in others. Then you have to give them everything they need to succeed.

I think its hard to project after the top 3 until we know the draft order. Some teams may value a different position and that could change the order. Just too many variables at the moment.
The juolevi argument was had a ton of times already.
It failed because we picked the wrong D not the idea itself.
And truat me, i wanted tkachuk bad

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There’s been a few mock drafts that have Reinbacher going to the Canucks. As he climbs and the Canucks fall it looks like an increasingly realistic pairing.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Reinbacher would be sick to see play in Abbotsford next year.

A lot of fans would go there to see him play.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I could easily see Reinbacher go as high as #4 too. This draft could be really unpredictable. Could easily see a team wanting a dman over a guy like Benson/Michkov. Look at MTL taking Kotkaniemi 3 just because they wanted a C. Or Mason McTavish going #3.

I could also see some scouts liking Moore over Smith. Similar to how Horvat went over Domi , some scouts may think he projects better at the NHL level even though Domi was ahead of Horvat on almost every public ranking.

Michkov could fall near 10 imo. Idk if a lot of teams are wanting a diminutive one dimensional Russian winger with a top 5-6 pick. He would have to out score all of his problems. That's not how you build a championship team. Could be on some teams "do not draft"

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I could easily see Reinbacher go as high as #4 too. This draft could be really unpredictable. Could easily see a team wanting a dman over a guy like Benson/Michkov. Look at MTL taking Kotkaniemi 3 just because they wanted a C. Or Mason McTavish going #3.

I could also see some scouts liking Moore over Smith. Similar to how Horvat went over Domi , some scouts may think he projects better at the NHL level even though Domi was ahead of Horvat on almost every public ranking.

Michkov could fall near 10 imo. Idk if a lot of teams are wanting a diminutive one dimensional Russian winger with a top 5-6 pick. He would have to out score all of his problems. That's not how you build a championship team. Could be on some teams "do not draft"

I think Michkov is a fit for the Coyotes so I don’t really think he’ll fall past them. They have such a weird timeline where it’s beneficial that he’s not available until their new arena is supposedly ready.

4 seems like a stretch but I think he’ll go between 5-10. The big factor is going to be team needs and philosophies. I just hope he’s around for the Canucks pick.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I'm predicting the Canucks wind up 9th last, which I feel is a lucky position.

Since 2010, the 9th pick has actually been really successful.

2010 Granlund
2011 Hamilton
2012 Trouba
2013 Horvat
2014 Ehlers
2015 Meier
2016 Sergachev
2017 Rasmussen
2018 Kravtsov
2019 Zegras
2020 Rossi
2021 Perfetti
2022 Savoie

Everyone after Zegras here is too early to judge but they are all projecting well.

Everyone before Zegras including himself is like 8/10 top line player or top pair D.

you could argue its been more successful than the #3 overall pick.

Granlund > Gudbranson
Hamilton = Huberdeau
Trouba > Galchenyuk
Horvat > Drouin
Ehlers < Draisaitl
Meier > Strome
Sergachev = Dubois
Rasmussen < Heiskanen
Kravtsov < Kotkaniemi
Zegras > Dach

obviously you could make the argument that the #3 team just took the wrong player, but still it shows that a lot of good players are still available at 9.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad