2023 NHL Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
They will be critical in moving out cap space. It's why I'm not paying all that much attention now. There's some guys who may fall to there like Whitelaw but I'm thinking this looks like that Benning period where they start shooting for overagers to fill holes "quickly" and then it's a bad scene.

I wouldn't be surprised if our own first is moved out along with Boeser for Marcus Petterson.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I honestly dont see Guenther being much better then Boeser 30 goal 60/70 point winger who doesnt really drive offensive. People greatly over exagerate prospects
If Boeser was still that guy he wouldn't be getting traded.

I'd put good money on Guenther having a much better career.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well I guess we can all stop following the Islanders, and speculating whether their draft pick will be later than 12th overall.

Instead we can follow the kids the Wings draft with the Islanders pick and the Canucks second rounder, which looks to be around 39-41. My bet is, they knock it out of the park with both selections.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if our own first is moved out along with Boeser for Marcus Petterson.
Why do people on these boards bother doing this?

Catastrophization is literally a predictor/contributor to depression.

Like you do poorly on a job review and go, "Oh God, I'm gonna get fired, lose my home, my wife will leave me, I'll end up homeless".

No. Take a breath. It's one bad job review.

In this case, a single trade that people have very low information on, and they've decided that we're dealing a potential top 5 pick in a great draft in a scenario that isn't even slightly realistic. For the sake of your own mental health (and mine) pleeeeeaasssee stoooppp.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Not getting out from under Miller’s contract may prove to be a huge error. Not surprised they didn’t trade him though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Makes zero sense to keep this pick if they don’t pick top 5.

How many prospect outside of the top 5 end up becoming good NHL’ers within 2-3 years of being drafted?

It’s clear that they want to win during this 4 year Hughes to UFA window. You move this pick unless it’s top 5, and even if it’s 4th/5th overall, you shop it around to see what 20-25 year olds teams offer you. They’ll be some good ones offered that can help this team much quicker.

Commit hard to this plan if you’re going to do it.

Reactions: JT Milker

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Do you search for the worst-case scenario in the rest of your life too?

Why is this a "worst case scenario"? This is how the "win now at all costs" attitude works. This is the last decade of Canucks hockey.

How many prospect outside of the top 5 end up becoming good NHL’ers within 2-3 years of being drafted?

It’s clear that they want to win during this 4 year Hughes to UFA window. You move this pick unless it’s top 5, and even if it’s 4th/5th overall, you shop it around to see what 20-25 year olds teams offer you. They’ll be some good ones offered that can help this team much quicker.

Exactly. This is how they are thinking right now. "What good is this prospect in the next 4 years? We need players right now."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With their second round picks gone for 2023 and 2024; along with the Islanders first rounder (likely in the 15-20 range), the Canucks have at least built up a pool of later picks.

This coming draft they have two third rounders; and three fourth rounders. I suppose there's a chance they can uncover more guys like D-Petey, Forsell or McDonough. And the more picks you make, the better the chances somebody will work out.

But your scouts really have to be on the ball......which doesn't happen all that often with the Canucks.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
So anyone know about these potential 3rd thru 4th rounders? Might as well start with our surplus area...only surplus area.

Dylan MacKinnon - RHD - Halifax Mooseheads
Owen Outwater - C - all name team - Kingston
Carter Sotheran - RHD - Portland Winterhawks
Kaden Hammell - RHD - Everett Silvertips
Kalem Parker - RHD - Victoria

Reactions: CanuckCity

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Exactly. This is how they are thinking right now. "What good is this prospect in the next 4 years? We need players right now."
The irony is, even if they find a team willing to trade away an "early 20's impact player" for the high first this year, we have no cap space to accommodate! :laugh::laugh:

For those against drafting Reinbacher with a top 7 pick (assuming we keep it and Reinbacher is available), this Hornek trade should no doubt convince you otherwise. Even if Reinbacher does not hit his ceiling and "settled" as a 2nd pairing D, he would still have immense trade value and return a mid 1st and a high 2nd. Even an unproven Romanov returned a mid 1st last draft. Taking a D that has size and skating ability is like a freebie, even if you don't hit it out of the park, you can easily trade the player for more high picks and try again.

Then you look at proven impact wingers, even proven 40 goals Debrincat didn't get that much more than Hronek. A 6'3" young C in Kirby Dach got similar value as the older and just as unproven Romanov. D is such a premium position, you can't really go wrong picking them.

It wouldn't be a bad strategy to just spend every pick on D. You may not always get the BPA, but you likely get the best valued asset available.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The irony is, even if they find a team willing to trade away an "early 20's impact player" for the high first this year, we have no cap space to accommodate! :laugh::laugh:

For those against drafting Reinbacher with a top 7 pick (assuming we keep it and Reinbacher is available), this Hornek trade should no doubt convince you otherwise. Even if Reinbacher does not hit his ceiling and "settled" as a 2nd pairing D, he would still have immense trade value and return a mid 1st and a high 2nd. Even an unproven Romanov returned a mid 1st last draft. Taking a D that has size and skating ability is like a freebie, even if you don't hit it out of the park, you can easily trade the player for more high picks and try again.

Then you look at proven impact wingers, even proven 40 goals Debrincat didn't get that much more than Hronek. A 6'3" young C in Kirby Dach got similar value as the older and just as unproven Romanov. D is such a premium position, you can't really go wrong picking them.

It wouldn't be a bad strategy to just spend every pick on D. You may not always get the BPA, but you likely get the best valued asset available.

With a pick this high you have to go with who you think is actually going to be an important player for you. And in this case I agree it might be Reinbacher.

Hronek is a good piece, Ethan Bear has been servicable, but you'd love another guy who could bump Bear to a 4/5 role rather than sure-fire top 4.

Reinbacher has really good upside but also might be ready to play in a year, then grow from there. I think he makes the most sense in alot ways assuming Michkov doesn't plummet.

Reactions: Horvat1C and clay

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
People are going to lose their minds when pass on Michkov. Look at the mindset of mgmt right now. No way they're waiting 4 years for a top 10 pick to come over.
I like Hammell with one of our mid round picks, been surprised he's not higher rated.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
People are going to lose their minds when pass on Michkov. Look at the mindset of mgmt right now. No way they're waiting 4 years for a top 10 pick to come over.
I like Hammell with one of our mid round picks, been surprised he's not higher rated.
Michkov is by far the second best player in this draft. If we are drafting below 5 and dont take him that would be a mistake. I think Arizona, Columbus or Anahiem would 100% take him at #2 there is no reason they can't wait for a generational talent like Michkov.

He has become severly underrated because he plays in Russia.

I dont see us trading down. The players rated to go where we are going to draft are better versions of Horvat and allow us to wait and be more patient with Raty

Reactions: CanuckCity

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Should try to draft Michkov. He's the 2nd most talented player after Bedard.

Sale and Wood are interesting forwards to look at. I seen them play, big guys that lug the puck, keep up with the play. Their size and mobility out there is impressive.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think for our 3rd and 4th round picks you choose guys who have all the tools but havent produced at a high enough level. I think those are the most likely guys to have break out performances as they are given bigger roles

Some names that come to mind
Aydar Suniev BCHL
Ryan Hopkins BCHL
Ben Brunelle
Ty Halaburda (I see Halaburda as a prime candidate to break out next year for the Giants)
Kaden Hammelle
Cater Sotheran
Matteo Fabrizi

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Have traded first round picks in 3 of the last 4 drafts. Will have a 3 year stretch without a second round pick by next year. 27th place team. Worst prospect pool in the league.
That sums up how I feel about the Canucks future.

Sure they have some bright spots but the overwhelming ineptitude of this management team to keep repeating the same mistakes lies on ownership and sadly I doubt it changes.

Just makes it extremely hard to be a fan of this circus of a team.

So who should we target with our five picks in the 3rd-4th rounds. Can we just apply the metrics around whatever we normally do in the 5th round to all of these picks please?
We should be drafting the best projection highest ceiling centers and Dman with those picks but that's what we should have done with the NYI first and our own 2nd pick, the odds of success in the 3rd and 4th are obviously much lower.

Reactions: arttk

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Why do people on these boards bother doing this?

Catastrophization is literally a predictor/contributor to depression.

Like you do poorly on a job review and go, "Oh God, I'm gonna get fired, lose my home, my wife will leave me, I'll end up homeless".

No. Take a breath. It's one bad job review.

In this case, a single trade that people have very low information on, and they've decided that we're dealing a potential top 5 pick in a great draft in a scenario that isn't even slightly realistic. For the sake of your own mental health (and mine) pleeeeeaasssee stoooppp.
If people were concerned with their own mental health they wouldn't be Canuck fans and I'm not joking the way this organization is being run can be summarized in how they dealt with Bruce this season and the repetition of the same mistakes with an obvious track record of those mistakes not working in the past.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

I would push this to top 2-3: Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson, otherwise move it for a Lundell-level pro C.

Reactions: Nucker101

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It’s pretty obvious what we have to do, I just hope they do it.

In order -

BBA Center

If Gone

michkov

If gone
Reinbacher

Thats it, if all three things are somehow gone, trade down.

One thing is for absolutely sure, there is a clear top 5 and a huge need for 6.

We absolutely have to pick in the top six, Because i feel reinbacher is going in the top 6

Reactions: wetcoast

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
It’s pretty obvious what we have to do, I just hope they do it.

In order -

BBA Center

If Gone

michkov

If gone
Reinbacher

Thats it, if all three things are somehow gone, trade down.

One thing is for absolutely sure, there is a clear top 5 and a huge need for 6.

We absolutely have to pick in the top six, Because i feel reinbacher is going in the top 6

I generally agree with this. Top 5 are all first overall calibre:

Bedard (own tier) , Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith

Following 2 are next tier:

Benson, Reinbacher

Reactions: Canucks LB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad