2023 NHL Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Well, they certainly aren't being intentional in their pursuit of Bedard, which is really really frustrating. Doesn't feel like they deserve to be bailed out by a miraculous #1 or #2 pick.

Jim Rutherford is just a hired guy for a job. He's just happy to be working because if he's not working he's just sitting at home. He's a Toronto born guy whois not a Canuck fan at heart. Frankly for him, it be cool if we get Bedard, but in the end, he probably doesn't really give a shit too much if we don't get Bedard.

we fans are here for life. He's not. the same for Patrik Alvin. He's just a hired guy for a job, and if he loses his job one day, he's just oh well. time to move on. blah blah blah.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would not be surprised now if they traded that pick. Dante Fabbro is who I could see being hoisted upon us or a dman like him.

The 2nd rounder from the OEL trade (2nd in 2022) is Hunter Haight who is also tracking very well and a PPG center in the OHL.
He is below a PPG and that isnt tracking well at all for a mid second round pick. He probably drops to the 3rd/4th round in a redraft

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
People talk about the Canucks having poor amateur scouting. Their pro scouting is 100x worse.

• Haha
Reactions: rea

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Have traded first round picks in 3 of the last 4 drafts. Will have a 3 year stretch without a second round pick by next year. 27th place team. Worst prospect pool in the league.
Non-playoff teams doing this is the definition of insanity. We're bottom of the league pretending we're in the mix. At this rate we've got another 10 years incoming of post-Benning-mediocrity at absolute best. People will be burning jerseys in barrels in front of Rogers Arena.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Getting back to the draft.... Not alot of high end D available this year, but the 2 I think are really good & will rise are Simashev & Reinbacher.

Assuming we are outside the top 5 I wouldn't mind taking one of them.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
At this point let's just win some games and pick 8th-9th and take Reinbacher.

Likely 10th, but I suspect they will move on from the pick to address defense or cap concerns. Nothing about what they are doing seems to indicate they care about the draft.

Fans should be looking at 3rd/4th round flyers that could be useful even further out... but then again we may be back to the era of taking over-agers.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Might as well just trade this years 1st and next years now

Just get it over with already, this ****ing team

I’m done following the draft because after today, I fully expect them to trade the pick.

If they don't get into the top 5 I'm almost 100% sure they'll trade the pick.

It'll be after the lottery, maybe at the draft itself. Writing is on the wall. Picks out, 25 or under players in. Might as well close the thread.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
There’s a good chance we pick Reinbacher if we fall out of the bottom 7. Reinbacher’s draft projection is going to increase much like Seider/Heiskanen’s did in their respective draft years.

Unless Allvin does something incredibly stupid, which is a given, we should be quite comfortably be choosing a stud centerman like Smith/Benson/Yager or Reinbacher if we’re closer towards 10th overall.

Personally, I like Benson the most outside of the top 3, and I’m a bit weary of Carlsson.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
So who should we target with our five picks in the 3rd-4th rounds. Can we just apply the metrics around whatever we normally do in the 5th round to all of these picks please?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I honestly dont see Guenther being much better then Boeser 30 goal 60/70 point winger who doesnt really drive offensive. People greatly over exagerate prospects

The point is getting Boeser like production for a 3 year ELC and 4 additional cost moderated years and being able to walk away from players by having internal cheap replacements.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Wow, this has become such an informative thread. I didn't want to read about draft prospects. I want yet another LiveJournal entry from the most unbalanced fans on the planet who somehow simultaneously loathe their own team, but can't go find another hobby.

It's cool to be skeptical about the plan here. But does it always have to be hair on fire nonsense that pollutes every single thread?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wow, this has become such an informative thread. I didn't want to read about draft prospects. I want yet another LiveJournal entry from the most unbalanced fans on the planet who somehow simultaneously loathe their own team, but can't go find another hobby.

It's cool to be skeptical about the plan here. But does it always have to be hair on fire nonsense that pollutes every single thread?
Were emotional human beings, I will say this, it’s kind of cool seeing we have 3 4th round draft picks, and 2 3rds, which we could move up for a second

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How about this, pick a centre with the first pick, and then literally pick nothing but defenceman for literally every single other pick in the entire draft lmao

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
So we have 2 3rds and 3 4ths who are some players to target in that range?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Which 4th rounders are you looking forward to the Canucks drafting and trading on?

Reactions: CanuckCity

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
We do? Those extra picks arent going to fly with aqualini and company. Don't count on the Canucks actually making more than 5 or 6 picks this draft like usual.

They will be critical in moving out cap space. It's why I'm not paying all that much attention now. There's some guys who may fall to there like Whitelaw but I'm thinking this looks like that Benning period where they start shooting for overagers to fill holes "quickly" and then it's a bad scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan