GDT: 2023 IIHF World Championship

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well Slovakia got it done vs Norway so Latvia with a 4-1 W today.

Latvia needs to get at least 1 point vs Switzerland to make it to the next round. Switzerland has won all 6 previous games in regulation so that’s a tall order.

I knew Latvia’s chances of getting past Slovakia were very slim once Slovokia beat them in Regulation and followed that with picking up a point vs Canada.

Slovakia made it interesting by losing to Kazakhstan in OT, instead of locking this down with 2 more points, but I don’t know if Latvia can take the Swiss to OT.

They’re at home, which helps. The Swiss have the most points in this group, they don’t have a ton to play for now. (I guess potential semi-final seeding but whatever.)

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Why does Neid have the C on ? I thought Nico was the Captain for the Swiss?

## Edit - I see now that Nico has an A . I assumed he was the Captain. Is Neiderieder a UFA or did Min sign him for more than 1 year (then traded to Winnipeg)?

Nashville signed him for 2 years and traded him for 2024 2nd.

Nico had the C in 2022 but he also was there for the whole tournament. He missed 3 games this year. (Unlike Niederreiter.)

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m not home and sadly can’t watch the game.

Just saw that Malgin, Hischier, Kukan and Niederreiter aren’t playing. Also the Swiss are playing their 3rd string goalie who’s not played yet. So Latvia’s chances are better than I thought.

Very torn. I Instinctually root for Latvia but want Nemec to advance.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
I’m not home and sadly can’t watch the game.

Just saw that Malgin, Hischier, Kukan and Niederreiter aren’t playing. Also the Swiss are playing their 3rd string goalie who’s not played yet. So Latvia’s chances are better than I thought.

Very torn. I Instinctually root for Latvia but want Nemec to advance.
Latvia just made it through. 3-3 at the end of regular time.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Breakout the wormwood liquor, the Latvians are going to the Quarterfinals! (Sorry Simon!)

49B0E5E2-A81C-401C-9511-46A994188165.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Good. Time to get healthy and prepare to make the team for next season. If I had it my way I wouldn’t allow any players to over and play in this tournament.
I think Nemec having the experience now with NHL players is probably beneficial. Hischier and Siegs are giving back to their country which is nice but sort of meh beyond that.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Good. Time to get healthy and prepare to make the team for next season. If I had it my way I wouldn’t allow any players to over and play in this tournament.
These are adults, not allowing them to do something they love is weird.

Also, how do you mean prepare to make the team, isn't playing in a tournament like this with other NHL players a great way to prepare?

Even if it was a full contact beer pong competition, its a week or two, and they have the entire summer to get back to "ready."

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Considering how hard it was, scoring 7 goals was surprisingly common this year. Hungary lost 7-1 three times I think...and 7-2 against Germany. Can you imagine losing 4 games 7-1?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd prefer our players not play in this, but I'm also an American who doesn't give a shit about this tournament. I think it's a bigger deal to somebody like Nemec or others from smaller countries that actually do give a shit, so I'm fine with them representing their country if they choose.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd prefer our players not play in this, but I'm also an American who doesn't give a shit about this tournament. I think it's a bigger deal to somebody like Nemec or others from smaller countries that actually do give a shit, so I'm fine with them representing their country if they choose.
I feel like there's hardly any big name Canadian and American players that attend, but I do remember one year where Crosby showed up for Canada and I think a couple of other guys came with him. I think Kane may have even played for USA.

But when it comes to the European countries, I feel like you see their bigger names show up. A lot of the Russians would attend. Ovechkin would come over almost every year once the Capitals were out of the playoffs.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
North American sports fans tend to either dismiss or actively belittle any competition that isn't the highest level possible. European sports culture is less focused on this in my experience, so there's more meaning to this tournament for those countries. You don't see soccer teams preventing their players from representing their countries in competitions ranging from the World Cup all the way down to random friendlies, and those competitions often happen mid-season.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Switzerland lost to Germany in the Quarterfinals again?!?

This happened in 2021 , they lost 3-2.

Now someone gets to pummel the Germans in a medal game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad