GDT: 2023 IIHF World Championship

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I honestly don't give a shit about this tournament, but it can be fun to watch.

I just hope my Hungarian brethren don't get relegated lol

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Nemec and the Slovaks take on Canada today at 9:20AM ET.

786463FC-6D39-4DB4-8F92-9A520E02F639.jpeg

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Thought one of the Jespers or Alex Holtz would join Sweden since the tournament is in neighboring Finland but I'm guessing in the case or Bratt and Boqvist their contract situations might prevent them from taking a chance. Holtz is probably still considered a youngster though this is the caliber player the USA team is taking.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I've been kinda casually watching (Team Finland looks atrocious so far) , who do we have playing? Nemec, Nico, Jonas? Anyone else? And has anyone of them played yet?

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I've been kinda casually watching (Team Finland looks atrocious so far) , who do we have playing? Nemec, Nico, Jonas? Anyone else? And has anyone of them played yet?
Nemec led Slovakia in ice time in their first against Canada. Nico and Siegs should make their debuts tomorrow against Nemec and Slovakia.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Woah, Harri Pesonen scored a big goal for Finland yesterday. Remember him?
The only two things I remember about him are that I'm pretty sure he was the one who took the picture of Larsson on the toilet and he also injured himself cutting grass or using a leafblower or something it was one of the weirdest ways to get injured.

Last edited:

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
The only two things I remember about him are that I'm pretty sure he was the one who took the picture of Larsson on the toilet and he also injured himself getting crass or using a leafblower or something it was one of the weirdest ways to get injured.
Haha, the only thing I remembered about him was that he had a sip of coffee with the Devils.

Siegs with the POG award for Switzerland. You love to see it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The only two things I remember about him are that I'm pretty sure he was the one who took the picture of Larsson on the toilet and he also injured himself cutting grass or using a leafblower or something it was one of the weirdest ways to get injured.
My only memory is the useless knowledge that he played only 4 games for us, but managed to wear three different jersey numbers during those games, including being in the long list of randos that wore #9 between Parise and Hall.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My only memory is the useless knowledge that he played only 4 games for us, but managed to wear three different jersey numbers during those games, including being in the long list of randos that wore #9 between Parise and Hall.
Without looking it up, I wouldn't have even remembered how many NHL games he played here or what number he wore.

I knew he couldn't have played more than 8 or 10 NHL games here though. I think he only played any games that one season for us, which I'm pretty sure was 12-13.

For some reason, I'm pretty sure I remember the Larsson toilet pic being in Tampa, or at least it surfaced right before our game in Tampa, which I attended. That was the Tom Kostopolous (whatever his name was) penalty shot goal game. I think we went on to lose that in a shootout after they tied the game in the last minute with the goalie pulled. I swear we had a 2 goal lead that game and lost, but that's happened A LOT in Florida in games that we may not have.

I looked at Pesonen's game logs and he was not dressed for that game. He must have been an extra call up.

One of his four games here (and the one one that was a win) was the game where Marty got credited with a goal in Carolina.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Woah, Harri Pesonen scored a big goal for Finland yesterday. Remember him?

Without looking it up, I wouldn't have even remembered how many NHL games he played here or what number he wore.

I knew he couldn't have played more than 8 or 10 NHL games here though. I think he only played any games that one season for us, which I'm pretty sure was 12-13.

For some reason, I'm pretty sure I remember the Larsson toilet pic being in Tampa , or at least it surfaced right before our game in Tampa, which I attended. That was the Tom Kostopolous (whatever his name was) penalty shot goal game. I think we went on to lose that in a shootout after they tied the game in the last minute with the goalie pulled. I swear we had a 2 goal lead that game and lost, but that's happened A LOT in Florida in games that we may not have.

I looked at Pesonen's game logs and he was not dressed for that game. He must have been an extra call up.

One of his four games here (and the one one that was a win) was the game where Marty got credited with a goal in Carolina.

You guys remember a lot more than me, including this priceless gem: “I'm pretty sure I remember the Larsson toilet pic being in Tampa”.

How can anyone ever claim this board is a waste of time is beyond me.

Unless I’m missing something obvious somehow (possible), Pesonen didn’t wear 3 numbers (officially, in the regular season).

Hockey Reference has him wearing #9, #16 and #18 in his 4 games in March 2013 but Steve Bernier wore #18 for 4 seasons in NJ starting in 2011-12.

He wore #16 in his 1st game vs the Habs at home on March 16, 2013. A 2-1 thriller (loss) with a PP goal by, uh, Peter Harrold.
5CBD5D08-3B39-4123-BF93-EA203CA9BBB7.jpeg

When I saw the attendance of this March Habs game was +17,000 I actually googled to check if it was some sort of special night.

Then I realized we had great attendance in 2012-13 because we were popular after the Cup run, until people eventually realized we sucked. (It took a season.)
588C2AEA-9AA9-44DA-9363-FF9B38C1DC26.jpeg

He’s still wearing #16 in his 2nd game at home vs the Rags on March 19, 2013. (A 3-2 loss, despite Volchenkov’s 1st goal of the season.)
—-
DD657327-7864-4F4A-8155-49108C522719.jpeg

Getty didn’t have a photo of Pesonen’s 3rd game on March 21, 2013, a 4-1 win @ Carolina. Here’s Bernier in #18 from that one.
—-
25FE92BD-F672-4D7C-949D-EB06341955BC.jpeg

Here’s Pesonen wearing #9 in his final game @ Ottawa on March 25, 2013, a 3-2 SO loss.

The number swap happened because we got superstar Matt D’Agostini from the Blues for Future Considerations on March 22.

Matty D wore #36 in St Louis and Montreal. #16 is in many ways like #36, so he got that while Harri switched to #9.
C9022063-FF06-443E-B3E3-D9D4720632C7.jpeg

The best photo of Matt from that game and later one.
14403617-66A2-4B22-9240-F36FFB398A1C.jpeg

I don’t know if fans got to exchange their new #16 Harri Pesonen jerseys for ones with #9, but I sure hope so.

1A01F9DE-D307-49BA-AE3D-78BC1CFD7322.jpeg

Here’s a photo from a September 13, 2013 pre-season game where he’s wearing a new number (#15), just to make it more fun and/or confusing. (This number doesn’t count.)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure Bobby Butler wore #9 that year also. I remember he was our big offseason forward acquisition lol and he didn't even make the team out of camp, because Cam Janssen and Krys Barch BOTH had to start the year on the NHL roster. Cam was sent back not too long after the season started and Butler eventually got called up. Tedenby also started that year on the NHL squad and was sent back to the AHL after like 3 or 4 games. Maybe that's when Butler got called up.

He had a pretty big game against Pittsburgh, and we didn't really see much out of him besides that. He was waived right after camp ended and then we waived him and I think somebody (Nashville?) picked him up that time and maybe we even traded for D'Agostino by that point lol.

Did he wear #9 also? I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad