GDT: 2023 IIHF World Championship

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
The 2023 IIHF World Championship will be co-hosted by Tampere, Finland and Riga, Latvia. The tournament is scheduled to be held from 12 to 28 May 2023, and will be organized by the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

Schedule

Devils in the tournament:

Simon Nemec (Slovakia) is gonna join the team as soon as possible.

Apparently Switzerland left room for the possible additions of Schmid, Siegenthaler and Hischier. Meier is a clear no, since he has no contract.

This article says that the Swiss NHL players have informed the Swiss coach during the season that they'll be available for the national team in case they drop out of playoffs. Now its just the wait and see who had injuries which we will probably hear tomorrow since Devils have the walkout interview day. Assume Nico is pretty banged up but he's usually been pretty loyal participant for the national team.

Players I would rule out due to contract situations: Meier, Severson, Wood, Bratt, Tatar, Blackwood, Haula, Boqvist, Bastian, Graves, Bahl

Players ruled out for other reasons: McLeod

Players ruled out for known injury: Jack Hughes

That leaves the Swiss trio. Luke Hughes for USA? Could be nice experience to get some more games although its already been a long season. His call. Marino was banged up during the season, doubt he goes. Hamilton seems like the type that wont go. Palat hasnt had the chance to represent his county too much so he could be a possibility. He had injuries this year though, might want full summer for the first time in forever. Vanecek has already played more this season than ever in his career.

Maybe Holtz for Sweden? They might have their team pretty locked up and may want to wait for potential bigger stars.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Are you going to any games? I'd love to go one year, I really should have done it when our Devils absolutely sucked since I knew I wouldn't be missing any playoffs lol

I ordered the NHL Network this morning so I can watch the tournament.

I agree that Luke is the only one I can really see going over. Can't see Palat or Jack going, they need the rest.

Reactions: Guttersniped

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Are you going to any games?
Nah I dont live too close to Tampere and the ticket prices are insane cause hockey is our #1 sport and this tournament is the biggest sporting event every year here. I havent cared too much about the Worlds since I was a kid cause NHL playoffs have been so much better to watch. I tune in to watch specific players more than anything else. Sometimes medal rounds.

2006-2010 thats when I used to love Worlds cause it was the only time I'd get to see NHLers play since I was so young. Canada, Russia etc used to have some pretty stacked squads too.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I could see Schmid going depending on their goalie situation. Maybe Nico and Siegs if they aren’t too banged up. Could see Marino. Maybe Palat depending on how he feels health wise with his injury earlier in the year. I honestly don’t think either Hughes will. Jack will want to rest and Luke played last year and if I was him I’d be fully focused on preparing for next season. Don’t see Holtz happening and he should be fully focused on prep for next season too.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I could see Schmid going depending on their goalie situation. Maybe Nico and Siegs if they aren’t too banged up. Could see Marino. Maybe Palat depending on how he feels health wise with his injury earlier in the year. I honestly don’t think either Hughes will. Jack will want to rest and Luke played last year and if I was him I’d be fully focused on preparing for next season. Don’t see Holtz happening and he should be fully focused on prep for next season too.
Hope all of these guys besides Schmid and Holtz rest up instead.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I'd kinda like to see Luke go to if he gets a bigger role than he had last year at the WC (provided he stays healthy). He's only played 58 games total this season and just had a 3 week layoff between games so he should be relatively fresh.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Maybe a random guy to keep an eye on is stay at home RD Nikolas Matinpalo who made Team Finland. Article says he's getting some NHL interest although is under contract, so I'm not sure if he's got the green light to leave. Since he's 24, there'd be minimal risk because he'd have to sign a 1 year ELC.

Not sure if he's that well-regarded where he could command an NHL roster right away or would just look for an opportunity on a team with an open spot like we might have.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Schmid on Worlds: "I've talked to them (SUI) but were still looking what the medical staff thinks"

Rough quote since the interview cuts off.

Reactions: My3Sons

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
on a scale of zero to ten, my interest in the world championship is zero

I don't think I've ever watched a single second of the world championship, and that's not just an exaggeration. Nice that the players get to rep their countries but I can't be bothered to watch lol

Reactions: Mgd31

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I don't think I've ever watched a single second of the world championship, and that's not just an exaggeration. Nice that the players get to rep their countries but I can't be bothered to watch lol

sure i hope they enjoy it and dont get injured but i have no heart in the games

like i would ever cheer on team canada

club over country

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Good to see Nico and Siegenthaler playing for Switzerland.

Was hoping a few others might have headed over as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad