Prospect Info: 2023 Draft Thread (Yotes picking #6 & #12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
With what goalie?
Vejmelka could take a step forward after his rookie year. He showed a lot of promise. He could definitely be a #1 goalie for a bubble team. The big question is the backup goalie and that's only significant if the #1 has injury problems.

If Chychrun is still with the team and Keller is back to form, then the team is better than last year.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Behold Brayden Yager, who is my son…

It's like the hockey gods know the Crosby, Ovi, Stammer and Getlzaf all are getting up there/retired and just created a new batch of players to replace these guys.

Didn't realize Yager's shot was THAT good. Wow. Stamkos 2.0 as a ceiling, Hertl as a floor?

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Matvei Michkov ‘will be an NHL star,’ but his long KHL contract commits him to Russia for years to come

Interesting Michkov article from Pronman that was written this past December.

I absolutely take this kid if the Coyotes pick 2nd and Bedard is off the board. When was the last time a top tier Russian talent didn't come over at all? It literally never happens, the money and level of competition is too good. If all goes to plan then the Coyotes are gonna suck ass until 2024, start to sniff the playoffs in 2024-25, be a bubble team in 2025-26, and by 26-27 the Coyotes should now be a lock playoff team and you get to insert a generational 21 or 22 year old talent into your top line who's on an ELC contract.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Matvei Michkov ‘will be an NHL star,’ but his long KHL contract commits him to Russia for years to come

Interesting Michkov article from Pronman that was written this past December.

I absolutely take this kid if the Coyotes pick 2nd and Bedard is off the board. When was the last time a top tier Russian talent didn't come over at all? It literally never happens, the money and level of competition is too good. If all goes to plan then the Coyotes are gonna suck ass until 2024, start to sniff the playoffs in 2024-25, be a bubble team in 2025-26, and by 26-27 the Coyotes should now be a lock playoff team and you get to insert a generational 21 or 22 year old talent into your top line who's on an ELC contract.
Kuznetsov and Kaprizov.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
If all goes to plan then the Coyotes are gonna suck ass until 2024, start to sniff the playoffs in 2024-25, be a bubble team in 2025-26, and by 26-27 the Coyotes should now be a lock playoff team and you get to insert a generational 21 or 22 year old talent into your top line who's on an ELC contract.
Maybe not so much in this thread, but I'm starting to get the sense that there are less of us wanting to continue with the plan BA has in place to stink it up for one more season. I agree with your timeline and think it comes true. We can't go back to drafting 10-15 just yet. I know there's no guarantee a top five pick won't bust, but we need to ride this out. Missing out on Bedard, Dvorsky, Fantilli, Mischkov, Carlsson or Yager makes me depressed as a fan of a team that has never had a few stars in their prime, just to watch them win ten more games during a rebuild.

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe not so much in this thread, but I'm starting to get the sense that there are less of us wanting to continue with the plan BA has in place to stink it up for one more season. I agree with your timeline and think it comes true. We can't go back to drafting 10-15 just yet. I know there's no guarantee a top five pick won't bust, but we need to ride this out. Missing out on Bedard, Dvorsky, Fantilli, Mischkov, Carlsson or Yager makes me depressed as a fan of a team that has never had a few stars in their prime, just to watch them win ten more games during a rebuild.
This is the last season of losing on purpose. But that doesn’t mean that they’ll jump right into trying to win at all costs. I expect it to shift from active sabotage to passive rebuilding.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Kuznetsov and Kaprizov.
Ha.

Do you think the Caps or Wild regret making those picks? I acknowledge that they were picked later than 2 OA, so it's not quite the same. But I'm sure you acknowledge that those two will both have long careers as star players for the teams that drafted them.

rt

May 13, 2004
Ha.

Do you think the Caps or Wild regret making those picks? I acknowledge that they were picked later than 2 OA, so it's not quite the same. But I'm sure you acknowledge that those two will both have long careers as star players for the teams that drafted them.
I worry that we’re less attractive to Russians.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This is the last season of losing on purpose. But that doesn’t mean that they’ll jump right into trying to win at all costs. I expect it to shift from active sabotage to passive rebuilding.
Here's how I look at rebuilds. Each phase can last a single or two years, usually depending on current roster construction/age/skill levels and how much lotto luck they get.

Year 1-2: Blow it up and get as many picks as possible. Try to suck. CHI just did this and will continue to do so into the offseason. (this started for us in the 2021 offseason).
Year 2-3: Continue to move remaining pieces that aren't part of the plan, add dumps make more TDL moves but the tear down is 80% complete. (This is where we are, but closer to year three than year two since our rebuilt started in an offseason).
Year 3-4: Seems to be when the new core is making he jump to the big league. It seems like this is when small pieces are added but the roster is mostly left untouched. Bottom 12 finish rather than bottom 5 (Buffalo and Anaheim seem to be at this point. Dahlin/Zegras are kind of Year 1 of their rebuilds)
Year 4-5: Begin to add major pieces in UFA or begin to move prospect and picks for players that are close to your current core. Ready to make playoffs or knock at the door. (DET/OTT/NJD/LAK all seem to fit in this area. OTT/LAK really has gone all in and probably has completed this phase where NJD/DET weren't able to secure any big younger pieces and may go hard for those next season).
Year 5-6: Make playoffs/get close to contention. At this point the big prospects are on the roster, additional picks and prospects have been moved for big name players and the team wants to make noise. OTT/LAK are kind of on the cusp of this where FLA was firmly in this spot last year.

I think most rebuilds are done in 5 years. Some take 6 depending on the development of their picks or the pieces they have going into the build, others may only take 4. I feel ours is closer to a 5 year approach because we got started in an offseason and have some young guys we will hang onto as we begin to turn the corner. I believe we will have three years completed after this coming offseason. Landing a Bedard type could expedite this, and Matthews could be our big piece we add to push us over the edge but time will tell.
22-23 SUCK
23-24 Bottom 5-12 depending on how the 23 draft goes
24-25 Playoffs or knocking at the door
25-26 Playoffs or bust

rt

May 13, 2004
Here's how I look at rebuilds. Each phase can last a single or two years, usually depending on current roster construction/age/skill levels and how much lotto luck they get.

Year 1-2: Blow it up and get as many picks as possible. Try to suck. CHI just did this and will continue to do so into the offseason. (this started for us in the 2021 offseason).
Year 2-3: Continue to move remaining pieces that aren't part of the plan, add dumps make more TDL moves but the tear down is 80% complete. (This is where we are, but closer to year three than year two since our rebuilt started in an offseason).
Year 3-4: Seems to be when the new core is making he jump to the big league. It seems like this is when small pieces are added but the roster is mostly left untouched. Bottom 12 finish rather than bottom 5 (Buffalo and Anaheim seem to be at this point. Dahlin/Zegras are kind of Year 1 of their rebuilds)
Year 4-5: Begin to add major pieces in UFA or begin to move prospect and picks for players that are close to your current core. Ready to make playoffs or knock at the door. (DET/OTT/NJD/LAK all seem to fit in this area. OTT/LAK really has gone all in and probably has completed this phase where NJD/DET weren't able to secure any big younger pieces and may go hard for those next season).
Year 5-6: Make playoffs/get close to contention. At this point the big prospects are on the roster, additional picks and prospects have been moved for big name players and the team wants to make noise. OTT/LAK are kind of on the cusp of this where FLA was firmly in this spot last year.

I think most rebuilds are done in 5 years. Some take 6 depending on the development of their picks or the pieces they have going into the build, others may only take 4. I feel ours is closer to a 5 year approach because we got started in an offseason and have some young guys we will hang onto as we begin to turn the corner. I believe we will have three years completed after this coming offseason. Landing a Bedard type could expedite this, and Matthews could be our big piece we add to push us over the edge but time will tell.
22-23 SUCK
23-24 Bottom 5-12 depending on how the 23 draft goes
24-25 Playoffs or knocking at the door
25-26 Playoffs or bust
I think there’s one more layer in there. I think it goes right after the bottom 5-12 one. I think it’s basically a repeat.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
Plandowski interview

Thought this one was an interesting interview of Plandowski just before he joined our team. Not sure if it has been posted before. A couple key takeaways. #1) Talks about how he learned from Steve Yzerman who was adamant about drafting character. If they even had an inkling that there was an off ice behavior issue with a kid, they would drop them from the list. Not that I don't think kids deserve second chances. But I look forward to not reading 10 pages of arguing about it. #2) That he wasn't even watching the game when his organization is winning the cup. That he was doing some hockey thing and heard it on the radio on the way back

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Plandowski and company will definitely be watching the Hlinka Gretzky Cup today through 8/6.

Canada is stacked with Zach Benson, Brayden Yager, Calum Ritchie, and defenseman Cam Allen, all likely first round picks. Sweden has defenseman Theo Lindstein, the Czechs have 6-6' goalie Michael Hrabel and high scoring winger Eduard Sale, and US forward Quentin Musty and big Finnish forward Kasper Halttunen are ones to watch.

Reactions: Antonche

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Plandowski interview

Thought this one was an interesting interview of Plandowski just before he joined our team. Not sure if it has been posted before. A couple key takeaways. #1) Talks about how he learned from Steve Yzerman who was adamant about drafting character. If they even had an inkling that there was an off ice behavior issue with a kid, they would drop them from the list. Not that I don't think kids deserve second chances. But I look forward to not reading 10 pages of arguing about it. #2) That he wasn't even watching the game when his organization is winning the cup. That he was doing some hockey thing and heard it on the radio on the way back
Good interview. Maybe cutting that kid Mitchell free was the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad