Prospect Info: 2023 Draft Thread (Yotes picking #6 & #12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yes, but Yager is only 6'0'' and 161 lbs, I'd rather get the bigger kids Fantilli 6'3'' 192, Carlsson 6'3'' 185, or Dvorsky 6'1'' 191

...and all 3 play a heavier game than Yager.
I don’t think Yager is that small. I think he’s more physical than Dvorsky and just as big. I haven’t seen Carlsson, so I don’t know much about him. Fantilli is on a different planet when it comes to size, skill, physical engagement. Brady Tkachuk but even better.

I think Yager is a lot like Dylan Larkin.

Reactions: Dominance

rt

May 13, 2004
My favorite is Lukas Dragicevic.
Another kid to keep an eye on is Hunter Brzustewicz - he didn’t get a ton of time with the u18s this year, so I didn’t see a whole lot from him. What I did see was an extremely smooth, smart, poised kid, who was excellent at controlled zone exits. He was interviewed during one of the intermissions and he was talking about how much he admires Miro Heiskanen. I can see that. He was originally committed to Michigan (like half the top recruites in the nation) and has since decom uttered (like half their recruits). Interestingly, he’s signed with the Kitchener Rangers. Will be fun to see a kid in the Ontario league who wasn’t impacted by the COVID stuff the way most of the kids who actually live in the province were.

He’s not tall (5’11-6’00) but his dad is a massive, burly dude, and I think Brzustewicz will end up well over 200lbs. Not that I saw any phaycial element in his game. Just a swift skating, ultra smooth, puck moving RHD.

Name is pronounced “Brooskevich” (at least that’s how it sounds to my ear).

EDIT:

Found it: Best Controlled Zone Exit % tracked by EP over the last 5yrs.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Who do you take between Fantilli and Bedard? All we’ve heard is Bedard is the next generational player. I’m not real familiar with Fantilli.

What ya got rt? How would you rank the top three centers in ‘23?

rt

May 13, 2004
Who do you take between Fantilli and Bedard? All we’ve heard is Bedard is the next generational player. I’m not real familiar with Fantilli.

What ya got rt? How would you rank the top three centers in ‘23?
Fantilli is going to be a 6’3 power center who is supremely skilled, very physical, and never stops talking smack and running amok. Like Brady Tkachuk but better. He’d have gone 1st overall in either of the last two drafts. Probably last three. Maybe more.

Hes probably the 3rd best prospect in the next draft.

Michkov and Bedard are both little bowling balls that could score 50+ goals per season in the NHL. Tiny tanks that are impossible to touch and score goals at will from anywhere on the ice.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Fantilli is going to be a 6’3 power center who is supremely skilled, very physical, and never stops talking smack and running amok. Like Brady Tkachuk but better. He’d have gone 1st overall in either of the last two drafts. Probably last three. Maybe more.

Hes probably the 3rd best prospect in the next draft.

Michkov and Bedard are both little bowling balls that could score 50+ goals per season in the NHL. Tiny tanks that are impossible to touch and score goals at will from anywhere on the ice.
Who do you take between the three? You’re pretty good at this stuff. My own admission I don’t have the time to follow so closely.m, just what I can read.

rt

May 13, 2004
Who do you take between the three? You’re pretty good at this stuff. My own admission I don’t have the time to follow so closely.m, just what I can read.
I’m a vacuum? 1. Bedard 2. Michkov 3. Fantilli

Contracts and geopolitical nightmares included? 1. Bedard 2. Fantilli 3. Michkov

Not enough Centers.
I’m not 100% sold on Bedard as a C. How many 5’9 centers with more G than A are there in the NHL?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’m a vacuum? 1. Bedard 2. Michkov 3. Fantilli

Contracts and geopolitical nightmares included? 1. Bedard 2. Fantilli 3. Michkov

I’m not 100% sold on Bedard as a C. How many 5’9 centers with more G than A are there in the NHL?

I can't even go there with these kids yet because who knows if they're even done growing, especially if they're not late birthdays like Fantilli. No way all of these kids like Bedard, Benson and others are going to remain the same size they're listed now.

Reactions: Jakey53

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Fantilli leaps Michkov if this Russia stuff doesn’t get better
No, you take Michkov regardless.

The kid is the greatest goal scorer we’ve seen since Ovechkin’s draft.

Geopolitical influences or not, Michkov will play in the NHL.

Whether that be when his contract with SKA is up or not.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
No, you take Michkov regardless.

The kid is the greatest goal scorer we’ve seen since Ovechkin’s draft.

Geopolitical influences or not, Michkov will play in the NHL.

Whether that be when his contract with SKA is up or not.

As much as I'd like to take Michkov, I take Fantilli 10 out of 10 times if I'm sitting at 2. We can't risk him not coming over and I don't want to wait draft + 4 years for him to arrive.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
As much as I'd like to take Michkov, I take Fantilli 10 out of 10 times if I'm sitting at 2. We can't risk him not coming over and I don't want to wait draft + 4 years for him to arrive.
After the draft he will only have 3 years left on his KHL contract.

It’s worth waiting 3 years for him.

Especially if we get a new arena deal, and Cooley pans out as the #1 center we’ve always wanted.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Haha, I clicked on this not paying attention and thought it was the 2022 draft thread until I read RT's post.

2023 is something I have heavily scouted, and of course plan to do so again in the future.

Bedard is the clear #1 for me. This draft is very similar to Crosby/Ovechkin, but I think Bedard is even better than Crosby and will be better than Crosby (and McDavid). He has the highest chance of being the next Gretzky. No one of course will likely reach that point, but IF injuries are never a concern (which I don't think Bedard or Michkov *should* have many problems with) I think he has...like a 40% chance of being that good.

Michkov will probably be the next Ovechkin, if not better, To me he's kind of like what Stamkos was when he was drafted, but we'll have to see if he ends up being in the same situation and if teams can figure him out as well. He'll at least have a high chance of hitting good numbers on the PP every year.

Fantilli is a tier below those players, but could see just as good numbers and be what a certain team wants. in this analogly i'd put him squarely in the malkin tier.

You can't go wrong with any of them, so hopefully we finish last next year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Musty is a player I hope to keep a close eye on. Big kid that I think may have tremendous upside. I want to see what he does this year with Sudbury.
He’s like a softer better skating version of Geekie (but more likely to be a winger). Meaning he’s wildly inconsistent. Sometimes he’s Guenther, sometimes he’s Perlini/Strome.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
One of my dark horses of the draft will be Kasper Halttunen. Just turned 17, already 6'3 193lbs playing in the U20 league in Finland. Could potentially graduate to Liiga next year as well. He's #12 overall in PPG in the U16 league, being 15 when he put up 18 points in 5 games and then graduating to the U20 league as a 15yo putting up 19 in 17.

This year he put up 38 in 41 in the U20 league at 16, with 24 goals- good for #4 among all time 16yos in the league, behind Aho, Lehkonen, Laine, and Kakko (Laine was 15 at the time). Interestingly enough, he had almost the same stat line as Kemell did as a 16yo.

We'll have to see how he develops further, but he could be a top 10 pick in the draft for me.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Kid has a great shot, a big body, and isn't afraid to use his reach either. He's dangerous in all situations. His skating isn't the greatest but is decent. Here's some goals of his this season

Reactions: Prarievarg

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Bills big boy board ;)

1- C Adam Fantilli - 6-3’ 191
2- C Leo Carlson - 6-3’ 185
3- C Charlie Stramel - 6-3’ 215
4- D Lucas Dragicevic - 6-2’ 190
5- W Kasper Halttunen - 6-3’ 192
6- D Arttu Karki - 6-2’ 176
7- W Matthew Wood - 6-3’ 185
8- RD Maxim Strbak - 6-2’ 185
9- W Quentin Musty - 6-2’ 203
10- C Samuel Honzek - 6-3’ 181
11- W Daniil But - 6-4’ 198
12- G Michael Hrabel - 6-6’ 198

Michkov signed in KHL until 2026, would you wait on him that long if you were Bill?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Bills big boy board ;)

1- C Adam Fantilli - 6-3’ 191
2- C Leo Carlson - 6-3’ 185
3- C Charlie Stramel - 6-3’ 215
4- D Lucas Dragicevic - 6-2’ 190
5- W Kasper Halttunen - 6-3’ 192
6- D Arttu Karki - 6-2’ 176
7- W Matthew Wood - 6-3’ 185
8- RD Maxim Strbak - 6-2’ 185
9- W Quentin Musty - 6-2’ 203
10- C Samuel Honzek - 6-3’ 181
11- W Daniil But - 6-4’ 198
12- G Michael Hrabel - 6-6’ 198

Michkov signed in KHL until 2026, would you wait on him that long if you were Bill?

the ONLY way I'd wait for Michkov is if we have another two first rounders (three total and if Fantilli is gone). Drafting Michkov now is like having an additional 1st rounder in 2026.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wouldn't hesitate to draft Michkov. He's a Bedard level talent. He would be NHL ready right away but the 3 years of waiting on the contract is similar to the time we wait for many other prospects to develop. Difference with Michkov is he'll be a fully baked superstar on his ELC.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't hesitate to draft Michkov. He's a Bedard level talent. He would be NHL ready right away but the 3 years of waiting on the contract is similar to the time we wait for many other prospects to develop. Difference with Michkov is he'll be a fully baked superstar on his ELC.
Consider how good Bedard was last year (51 goals) and realize Michkov was by some accounts more impressive.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Haha, I clicked on this not paying attention and thought it was the 2022 draft thread until I read RT's post.

2023 is something I have heavily scouted, and of course plan to do so again in the future.

Bedard is the clear #1 for me. This draft is very similar to Crosby/Ovechkin, but I think Bedard is even better than Crosby and will be better than Crosby (and McDavid). He has the highest chance of being the next Gretzky. No one of course will likely reach that point, but IF injuries are never a concern (which I don't think Bedard or Michkov *should* have many problems with) I think he has...like a 40% chance of being that good.

Michkov will probably be the next Ovechkin, if not better, To me he's kind of like what Stamkos was when he was drafted, but we'll have to see if he ends up being in the same situation and if teams can figure him out as well. He'll at least have a high chance of hitting good numbers on the PP every year.

Fantilli is a tier below those players, but could see just as good numbers and be what a certain team wants. in this analogly i'd put him squarely in the malkin tier.

You can't go wrong with any of them, so hopefully we finish last next year.
I want to get Bedard, just so we can piss off all of Canada and their media. I'm tired of getting laughed at from family in Alberta. It's really hard to believe how unlucky we have been at the draft.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I'm happy as long as we can pick top five. BA will see that through. If I had to guess, we race Chicago for last place and lose the lottery and get #3 or #4 and take Fantilli. That's a huge win. As electric as Mischkov is, I wonder if BA would take Fantilli over him anyway. Not so much the Russia factor but his size.

Reactions: Grimes

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I want to get Bedard, just so we can piss off all of Canada and their media. I'm tired of getting laughed at from family in Alberta. It's really hard to believe how unlucky we have been at the draft.
Edmonton has had more luck at the draft lottery than 29 other teams combined (excluding NJ and BUF). Neither Alberta team has had enough playoff success to look down on the Coyotes.

Reactions: 0point1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad