Prospect Info: 2023 Draft Thread (Yotes picking #6 & #12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm happy as long as we can pick top five. BA will see that through. If I had to guess, we race Chicago for last place and lose the lottery and get #3 or #4 and take Fantilli. That's a huge win. As electric as Mischkov is, I wonder if BA would take Fantilli over him anyway. Not so much the Russia factor but his size.
I want to pick 1st or 3rd. Not 2nd. I don’t want to be the team that passes on Michkov. But I don’t want to be the team that drafts him either. Hopefully Chicago gets 2nd and they take him. Should have zero problem luring him over.

Reactions: Nowotny

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I want to pick 1st or 3rd. Not 2nd. I don’t want to be the team that passes on Michkov. But I don’t want to be the team that drafts him either. Hopefully Chicago gets 2nd and they take him. Should have zero problem luring him over.
Same here for the same reason. #1, #3 or #4, but not #2. Basically I want Bedard or Fantilli and not the Mischkov risk. Haha

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yep, even if we were picking 2, I'm still taking Fantilli.
A) take to long to come over
B) risk of him not coming over
C) risk of him forcing trade to a team he wants to go to

Just easier taking Fantilli, who will go back to play his Sophomore year in College and then sign and go pro.

It would be great if there were like 5 kids who have monster years and put themselves in the conversation as close 'comps' to the top 3 kids. I'll rest easier knowing we have a large ability pool to choose from given the Coyote luck factor.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Just easier taking Fantilli, who will go back to play his Sophomore year in College and then sign and go pro.

It would be great if there were like 5 kids who have monster years and put themselves in the conversation as close 'comps' to the top 3 kids. I'll rest easier knowing we have a large ability pool to choose from given the Coyote luck factor.
Michkov is a Crosby level talent. Is Fantilli? Is he a franchise superstar player caliber? That's what you are looking at. Would you rather have Jack Eichel or Dylan Strome? I think that comparison undersells both Fantilli and Michkov but Michkov is the real deal and should be in heavy conversation at 1OV (and I already have the Bedard jersey)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

I feel like B and C are in your head. Do you have some examples in mind?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
We seem to really like Russians and our Russian scouting department has a pretty big influence on BA, or so it seems. Wouldn't be surprised if we take Michkov even 1st overall at this point- who knows in the future.

Reactions: Grimes

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
You know what will happen? Some team will take Fanitli at 2

Reactions: jmelm

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Oh I would have no problem taking the gamble on Michkov. Not the type of player you get chances at very often and if he's there you gotta be willing to take the risk if you want big talent.

Just me though!

rt

May 13, 2004
You know what will happen? Some team will take Fanitli at 2
And it’ll be Michkov or Benson and Michkov will be clearly just the better version of the same player.

Oh I would have no problem taking the gamble on Michkov. Not the type of player you get chances at very often and if he's there you gotta be willing to take the risk if you want big talent.

Just me though!
He might be better than Bedard. He might be the best prospect since McDavid. He’s so scary.

We seem to really like Russians and our Russian scouting department has a pretty big influence on BA, or so it seems. Wouldn't be surprised if we take Michkov even 1st overall at this point- who knows in the future.
Taking a kid 1st overall who won’t play for you is pretty scary.

Reactions: moosemeister

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
And it’ll be Michkov or Benson and Michkov will be clearly just the better version of the same player.

He might be better than Bedard. He might be the best prospect since McDavid. He’s so scary.

Taking a kid 1st overall who won’t play for you is pretty scary.
If he is that good ... If we pick him and somehow he doesn't come over, etc etc. It would definitely suck but at least I'd know the Yotes did everything they could to acquire game breaking talent and the Yotes didn't leave it on the table.

I think I'd be able to swallow that bitter pill a bit better than passing and he's amazing.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
At least with Michkov if you pass on him you have the reasoning that it was too much of a gamble if we would come over and fit with some of the unknowns with our org. This is in no way like passing on McDavid. Unfortunately the drop off between Michkov and the next best player is astronomical.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Wouldn't we know if he'll play for us or not before we drafted him? Or is it about the Iron Curtain thing?

(Or both lol)

I mean yes and no right? Even without the Iron Curtain aspect if the team is constantly a bottom dweller with threats of relocation he could hold out longer.

As a fan base we are probably pretty she'll shocked. I'd say it is only a 10% chance he wouldn't come over but that's enough to scare me.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

rt

May 13, 2004
I mean yes and no right? Even without the Iron Curtain aspect if the team is constantly a bottom dweller with threats of relocation he could hold out longer.

As a fan base we are probably pretty she'll shocked. I'd say it is only a 10% chance he wouldn't come over but that's enough to scare me.
Also he’s on a long term deal in the KHL. It will cost a fortune to purchase those years back.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

GermanCoyotes96

Feb 21, 2022
Germany
I know how good Bedard is and will be in the future and picking #1 would be phenomenal but you know how lucky we are...

I would be really happy with #3 and then we take Fantilli!

I also believe that this season we will be "better" than last and therefore our chances of winning the lottery will not be great.

Reactions: lanky

rt

May 13, 2004
Bedard is just nuts.

Attachments

• 7B130045-3CE9-48E9-B423-8395F249F1CC.jpeg
    7B130045-3CE9-48E9-B423-8395F249F1CC.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 45

Nagatoarek

Apr 18, 2022
Sweden
Örebro doesn't look to make any more forward signings, and with the lack of any good centers, I could see Leo Carlsson getting top 6 minutes for them this coming season. He might very well raise his draft stock quite a bit. He's incredible to watch in person.

I really don't expect us to get the the bottom or even bottom 2. Even during our strongest tank I've ever seen, we still 'failed' to end up last. Luckily this coming draft is just so damn strong that we're going to get away with an amazing player even if we end up 4-5th last.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Örebro doesn't look to make any more forward signings, and with the lack of any good centers, I could see Leo Carlsson getting top 6 minutes for them this coming season. He might very well raise his draft stock quite a bit. He's incredible to watch in person.

I really don't expect us to get the the bottom or even bottom 2. Even during our strongest tank I've ever seen, we still 'failed' to end up last. Luckily this coming draft is just so damn strong that we're going to get away with an amazing player even if we end up 4-5th last.
big fan of Carlsson

Reactions: Nagatoarek

rt

May 13, 2004
Anyone get to watch NTDP games this season? When Stramel came back from injury, he was a force. He’s an older birthday which isn’t great, but it means he gets to go to Wisco a year “early” and that place has a reputation of athlete building. He’s listed at 6’3 215lbs right now. That’s a big, hulking ball of clay for the badgers to shape. The kid they call “The Big Rig” at the program really was extremely impressive to watch against USHL teams as a D -1 player.

Reactions: Grimes

Nagatoarek

Apr 18, 2022
Sweden
big fan of Carlsson
I'm planning on watching every home game I can of him this coming season. I'd say I've never seen a talent like that come out of Örebro, but that's hardly a shocker. A team that never really invested in their own has finally started pumping out youth with four players drafted this month which is a club record - and there's a lot more coming from the pipeline.

Having seen him as well as Dvorsky in person, I still prefer Carlsson. To me it'll be between him, Benson and Yager for 4th.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Are their any highly touted D? Definitely go BPA, but with Cooley/Hayton/Geekie/Smith/Jenik/McBain, certainly hope we have at least 3 legit Cs there. And we are weak on top end D.
This was part of the reason that I was questioning if we go D with Nemec or Jiricek early and wait until 2023 for top C, as opposed to taking Cooley.

Nearly all D in the top 30 or so are 6 foot or shorter and primarily offensive/puck-moving types. Cooley is nice, and Lamoreaux has very intriguing upside. But I think Jiricek's floor outweighs that of Lamoreaux heavily (ceiling will only be similar if Lamoreaux develops properly).

Would be intriguing to see what would have happened if all trades made in 2022 draft remained the same and our picks were:

Jiricek
Geekie
Lambert/Schaefer

As a bottom 5 team, one of Bedard, Fantilli, Dvorak, or Jager should be available and I think all would be ahead of Cooley if the 22 and 23 draft eligibles were combined.

That being said, if the consensus was not close between Cooley and Jiricek at their peak, no issues. I see Jiricek as a top pairing RHD in about 3 years, but my hot take only.

• Love
Reactions: moosemeister

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
This was part of the reason that I was questioning if we go D with Nemec or Jiricek early and wait until 2023 for top C, as opposed to taking Cooley.

Nearly all D in the top 30 or so are 6 foot or shorter and primarily offensive/puck-moving types. Cooley is nice, and Lamoreaux has very intriguing upside. But I think Jiricek's floor outweighs that of Lamoreaux heavily (ceiling will only be similar if Lamoreaux develops properly).

Would be intriguing to see what would have happened if all trades made in 2022 draft remained the same and our picks were:

Jiricek
Geekie
Lambert/Schaefer

As a bottom 5 team, one of Bedard, Fantilli, Dvorak, or Jager should be available and I think all would be ahead of Cooley if the 22 and 23 draft eligibles were combined.

That being said, if the consensus was not close between Cooley and Jiricek at their peak, no issues. I see Jiricek as a top pairing RHD in about 3 years, but my hot take only.

This was my mindset too, but I like Cooley. Its not like even with a Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov we're a playoff team 2023-2024. We'll get a good D-man in 2024 draft.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Who do you take between Fantilli and Bedard? All we’ve heard is Bedard is the next generational player. I’m not real familiar with Fantilli.

What ya got rt? How would you rank the top three centers in ‘23?
Bedard is a generational talent. Clear cut #1. I take Fantilli at #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA