Prospect Info: 2023 draft thread: Sharks tank miss, now we’ll get Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Let’s hope we do despite Hasso’s wishes to make the playoffs to line his $10B pockets with a few extra million. Or does he want the playoffs to increase team value and sell it?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The Sharks are going to have a really hard time trying to out tank Chicago, Arizona and Montreal. Yes, Montreal is still going to be terrible. I could see them finishing 4th though, which would at least give them a chance at a top 3 pick.

Early model has us coming in 9th worst, so just about the same as this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Let’s hope we do despite Hasso’s wishes to make the playoffs to line his $10B pockets with a few extra million. Or does he want the playoffs to increase team value and sell it?
Dudes been spending just as much as any owner in the league on salary in a competitive spots market. He's not trying to sell

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm not really sure who has a worse roster than we do. All these "worse"teams at least have a couple good young players... We don't

Regardless, I think the FO overhaul is more important than how we do next year

Reactions: themelkman

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Early model has us coming in 9th worst, so just about the same as this year.

I would be far from shocked if about half of the teams projected to finish worse than us here actually did better--Anaheim, Philly, Buffalo, and Detroit at first glance.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Dudes been spending just as much as any owner in the league on salary in a competitive spots market. He's not trying to sell
Hasso Dude doesn’t understand that it takes a proper rebuild at this point to build a Stanley Cup contender

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
He might just like watching his team win. You never know.
If he allowed Doug to properly rebuild we would been winning a lot more in the coming years then we actually will. I’m all for an owner liking to watch his team win, but he has no strategy to build a Stanley Cup winner. I’m not in this to watch the NHL version of Sacramento Kings. I dream for a capable owner like Lacob and Stanley Cup banners.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If he allowed Doug to properly rebuild we would been winning a lot more in the coming years then we actually will. I’m all for an owner liking to watch his team win, but he has no strategy to build a Stanley Cup winner. I’m not in this to watch the NHL version of Sacramento Kings. I dream for a capable owner like Lacob and Stanley Cup banners.
He's 78, he doesn't want to watch his team suck until he dies. That's all there is to it

Reactions: DG93

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Speaking as a Kings fan (though that fandom has waned significantly over the past 15 years), I certainly know what you mean. It's just hard feeling powerless when you feel like the bus is being driven toward a cliff's edge at a high speed.

The only thing we can hope--this was my biggest hope when the GM search began--is that not only Grier, but pretty much everyone else Hasso and the rest talked to made it clear that the Sharks would require a rebuild to succeed again. Grier's comment about taking a step back might mean that Hasso is conceding this, at least to some degree.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Speaking as a Kings fan (though that fandom has waned significantly over the past 15 years), I certainly know what you mean. It's just hard feeling powerless when you feel like the bus is being driven toward a cliff's edge at a high speed.

The only thing we can hope--this was my biggest hope when the GM search began--is that not only Grier, but pretty much everyone else Hasso and the rest talked to made it clear that the Sharks would require a rebuild to succeed again. Grier's comment about taking a step back might mean that Hasso is conceding this, at least to some degree.
I think the taking a step back and clearing cap space comments are related. You aren’t going to be able to trade Vlasic, Labanc, or Simek to clear cap space without significant additions. You might be able to trade Burns though for positive value but you’re probably taking a step back there.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the taking a step back and clearing cap space comments are related. You aren’t going to be able to trade Vlasic, Labanc, or Simek to clear cap space without significant additions. You might be able to trade Burns though for positive value but you’re probably taking a step back there.
I'd just appreciate a meaningful action towards any objective at this point. The team doesn't seem to have a clear direction as a whole.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nobody needs to tank just trade Reimer and let nature takes its course. Just sayin, it worked in Toronto.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
JFresh's "formulas" picked the Kraken and the Flyers to make the playoffs last season...

I think we can all agree that any predictive model that isn’t 100% accurate has absolutely no value and should immediately be belittled and discarded with prejudice.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I think we can all agree that any predictive model that isn’t 100% accurate has absolutely no value and should immediately be belittled and discarded with prejudice.

Yeah well there's still lots of people that take Eklund's trade rumors seriously, so I guess they're in the same boat.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

I mean that was the hope, but given the Sharks moves so far, it’s a step back but not a meaningful one. The trade for Kunin, reaches in the draft, and it being increasingly likely that Vlasic isn’t being bought out, are all pointing to signs that this team doesn’t want to make effective changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00