Prospect Info: 2023 draft thread: Sharks tank miss, now we’ll get Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
As long as Becher is associated with this team they are going to try to "compete"

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
They sure did a great job competing this year 😂. Let’s bench-er Becher and tank hard for Bedard. Hopefully the new GM will make a fine tank commander. One good tank, smart free agent signings, and perhaps my name still has a shot of being prophetic in 2025.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
It would be so Sharks to not get Bedard even if finishing bottom 5...
They'll be around the same spot next year I guess, but there is always hope for big changes.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Last time there was a franchise talent , the sharks had a top 10 chance to win 1st overall. Let’s hope the team does the same for Bedard

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I don't understand why everyone wants to tank when it doesn't guarantee the team will be successful. The team needs to stick with the current plan of trying the same thing over and over and hope it works this time. They have missed the playoffs 3 years in a row and could have easily tanked those 3 seasons and improved draft capital but why do that when we can try to complete and fail instead?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bedard is going to end up in Arizona so it’ll be hard for me to be mad about that. I want Arizona to actually succeed and Bedard would go a long way in doing that. Nobody else yet seems bad enough to compete there.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Bedard is going to end up in Arizona so it’ll be hard for me to be mad about that. I want Arizona to actually succeed and Bedard would go a long way in doing that. Nobody else yet seems bad enough to compete there.
Bedard and Mathews will be a tough matchup ;)

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sounds like a plan except it won't happen. Would be fun to see something like this though:
Veteran FA signing for 1 year-Hertl-Labanc/Barabanov, Meier-Couture-Eklund, Gregor-Bordeleau-Balcers, Reedy-Bonino-Chmelevski with a blueline of Ferraro-Karlsson, Knyzhov-veteran D signing, Vlasic-Merkley and Kahkonen-Hill in net. In this scenario, they're moving Labanc/Barabanov (ie not re-signing), Burns, and Simek. I don't think they'll send Bordeleau to the minors, but if they do, sign some random 3C to a 1-year deal. That oughta do it, no?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don't understand why everyone wants to tank when it doesn't guarantee the team will be successful. The team needs to stick with the current plan of trying the same thing over and over and hope it works this time. They have missed the playoffs 3 years in a row and could have easily tanked those 3 seasons and improved draft capital but why do that when we can try to complete and fail instead?
I want to tank so that I can put a new name on the back of my jersey. And I dont just put any name there either, it's gotta be the MVP/superstar of the team. It's not Hertl, didnt even know if he would be back until this season. Not Eklund, what do I look like I run a hockey rumors website? I have a Couture jersey right now and I dont like it because when I wear it to my roughriders motorcycle club all the guys think I'm posh and bourgeusie when they see Couture on the back of my jersey ("like, uh, isn't supposed to be Culture, man?"). I would really dig a Wright jersey or a Bedard jersey instead. It's time for something new.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Still astounded that montreal went from SCF to most likely 1OA in a single season. I realize that they weren't trying to do this, but it's extremely impressive and something to aspire to.
Very Florida Marlins. Minus winning an actual championship of course.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
NHL/Gary will place Bedard where they want him.

0% chance SJ. Prob won't be AZ either, would be pretty cool if AZ won but they will likely slightly out perform the lowest rung of tankers.

Montreal went to the finals last year, now they are picking 1OA. Could definitely see a Canadian franchise leading tank-hard-4-bedard and NHL supporting it similar to McDavid and Matthews.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
NHL/Gary will place Bedard where they want him.

0% chance SJ. Prob won't be AZ either, would be pretty cool if AZ won but they will likely slightly out perform the lowest rung of tankers.

Montreal went to the finals last year, now they are picking 1OA. Could definitely see a Canadian franchise leading tank-hard-4-bedard and NHL supporting it similar to McDavid and Matthews.

But Montreal isn't guaranteed to pick 1OA, it is actually far more likely they don't.

This is one of the major issues with tanking, it doesn't guarantee you 1OA. Also, Montreal didn't try to tank and still ended up with a worse record than teams that were tanking.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But Montreal isn't guaranteed to pick 1OA, it is actually far more likely they don't.

This is one of the major issues with tanking, it doesn't guarantee you 1OA. Also, Montreal didn't try to tank and still ended up with a worse record than teams that were tanking.
They have the best odds to get that pick and that's all you can really do. The alternative is to just hope you luck your way into it when you have little to build on.

• Wow

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Still astounded that montreal went from SCF to most likely 1OA in a single season. I realize that they weren't trying to do this, but it's extremely impressive and something to aspire to.
There's also very little chance they would have made it to the SCF, let alone the playoffs, had it been a normal year. And for all the good fortune they had to help them get through to the SCF, they had an equal amount of bad fortune since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad