Prospect Info: 2023 draft thread: Sharks tank miss, now we’ll get Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Just announce Roy Summer as our HC. He’s the ultimate commander, and once he gets us #1 pick you’ll all name your firstborn sons Roy and your daughters Summer.

Just announce Roy Summer as our HC. He’s the ultimate commander, and once he gets us #1 pick you’ll all name your firstborn sons Roy and your daughters Summer.
*ultimate Tank commander

• Haha
Reactions: Chinaski89

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
How about we get 2nd OA, have Eklund passing to Michkov for the next decade, and since Michkov is committed for a couple years in Russia, we continue tanking to get Kiviharju in 2024 to lead our blueline. By the time they come off their ELCs Burns and Vlasic contracts should be gone, Couture's contracts conveniently comes off the books the same time as McDavid's so we can use all that extra money to sign him in 27.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
How about we get 2nd OA, have Eklund passing to Michkov for the next decade, and since Michkov is committed for a couple years in Russia, we continue tanking to get Kiviharju in 2024 to lead our blueline. By the time they come off their ELCs Burns and Vlasic contracts should be gone, Couture's contracts conveniently comes off the books the same time as McDavid's so we can use all that extra money to sign him in 27.
The most important question.. at what time does the alarm clock ring?

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Alright, so what if we foil Uncle Gary's plan and somehow get Pittsburgh's unprotected 1st? It's not Edmonton's turn again until the next generational talent, so we should be good to go. What would it reasonably take to pry that pick from Pitts? Maybe one of our RHD if Letang walks?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Alright, so what if we foil Uncle Gary's plan and somehow get Pittsburgh's unprotected 1st? It's not Edmonton's turn again until the next generational talent, so we should be good to go. What would it reasonably take to pry that pick from Pitts? Maybe one of our RHD if Letang walks?
Burns + Balcers + pick for Pettersson + first?

Idk how they value Pettersson but they'd likely want to move out his salary in this case.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Personally, as of right now, I’d rather we make the playoffs and compete. I think all of the pieces are in place to completely go into sell mode if we’re in a bad spot come mid season. If we’re hangin around 10th OA before the TDL, Sell Sell Sell and go full tank mode. If you don’t get Bedard, you still have a great chance at Michkov or someone else potentially franchise altering.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Sharks trade 1st overall for 3 late 1sts. Hodge comes in an tells us all that the value is there and that 1st overalls don't always pan out where as gaining 3 late 1sts has better chance of turning into a star player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Personally, as of right now, I’d rather we make the playoffs and compete. I think all of the pieces are in place to completely go into sell mode if we’re in a bad spot come mid season. If we’re hangin around 10th OA before the TDL, Sell Sell Sell and go full tank mode. If you don’t get Bedard, you still have a great chance at Michkov or someone else potentially franchise altering.
You don't just tank from the deadline and expect to get good lotto odds. You have to plan for it especially when someone like Bedard is at the top.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

JumboJoe23

Aug 5, 2021
If Reimer didn't outplay expectations we would've been lower in the standings this year. That said they'll sign another Bonino type guy, and we'll draft 10-15 again next year.
meaning they will trade down from 10-15 and draft goldobin again

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You don't just tank from the deadline and expect to get good lotto odds. You have to plan for it especially when someone like Bedard is at the top.
While I 100% agree you tank hard for Bedard, I will say there are some solid other guys are the top. If the Sharks are bad enough, they don’t necessarily need to win the lottery to get an elite prospect.

I’ve changed my mind. Tank hard for this draft, pick up as many picks as you can and take Bedard or Fantilli and set yourself up for the next 15 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While I 100% agree you tank hard for Bedard, I will say there are some solid other guys are the top. If the Sharks are bad enough, they don’t necessarily need to win the lottery to get an elite prospect.

I’ve changed my mind. Tank hard for this draft, pick up as many picks as you can and take Bedard or Fantilli and set yourself up for the next 15 years.
I don't see 11 elite prospects at the top of the draft next year either. I just don't see how having another similar season helps in any way moving forward.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't see 11 elite prospects at the top of the draft next year either. I just don't see how having another similar season helps in any way moving forward.
You’re right. But there are definitely 10 that could be top line forwards and a couple D that look good. This draft is a game changer like the 2015 draft. We HAVE to draft well this next year. I really wish we moved guys like Barabanov at the deadline last year, shit even Hertl if it meant picking up a 23 1st and good prospect.

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
Any teams out there that might pull a 2018 Sharks? That is, be willing to trade a 2023 unprotected 1st... Forget about what it might cost the Sharks, but getting hard for Bedard would be easier with more picks in hand. Dallas? Islanders? Pitt?

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
NHL/Gary will place Bedard where they want him.

0% chance SJ. Prob won't be AZ either, would be pretty cool if AZ won but they will likely slightly out perform the lowest rung of tankers.

Montreal went to the finals last year, now they are picking 1OA. Could definitely see a Canadian franchise leading tank-hard-4-bedard and NHL supporting it similar to McDavid and Matthews.
Who is our equivalent of Price and Weber to lose for the season?

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
facepalm-really.gif
ht

Attachments

• 1657484829929.png
    1657484829929.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I don’t think this team is going to have to work hard to tank looking at the players currently signed. I always like to consider where our guys would play on a solid playoff team. Not like a Colorado where Couture is a third line center, but a top 6 type team that has cup potential.

We’ve got what, two legit first line players in Hertl and Meier who’d be first line on this hypothetical solid playoff team. We’ve got Couture who’d probably slot second line. I see Barabanov as a 2nd/3rd line tweener on this solid playoff team with the right line mates. Labanc as a scoring third line winger.

So our top 6 really only has 3 players who are locks as top 6 talent as of today. I am hopeful for Ek and Bords and another one of the kids to come out of nowhere. My point is that I don’t think tanking is going to be all that difficult. Don’t see a lot of goals coming from this group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland