Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #12: LW Daniil But

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
I like this pick more that Simashev pick. Size, skill, shot, pedigree, his father Anton (Ukraine born, Kharkiv hockey school) was decent player in russian pro league (Superliga, KHL). Still, little reach and risky.

Reactions: Freddy Sjostrom

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Tanking isn't just about drafting high, it's also about quantity. It's about five 1st Rd picks last two drafts and 12 picks overall this draft.

Also, our scouts have certainly done much more scouting than anyone on this board, and nearly every analyst in North America is biased towards NA players. Those draft prospect rankings are highly suspect.

I mean there's a reason why Mel kiper is always wrong. Our scouts get paid good money for this, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I mean there's a reason why Mel kiper is always wrong. Our scouts get paid good money for this, I'm sure they know what they are doing.
Scouts are wrong many times as well. These are 18 year old kids we are talking about, and all develop at different times.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I think But is going to take awhile to develop. Two years in the KHL is probably the best thing for him. Major upside if he pans out, a moonshot swing by BA.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I love both But and Simashev, but god damn. Both guys more than likely could’ve been trade down options. Love ‘em though.
I think these two were head scratchers for most on this board. Now, they are the second coming, loved by all.:laugh:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think these two were head scratchers for most on this board. Now, they are the second coming, loved by all.:laugh:
Jakey, why can't we just be 'excited' about the possibility that the players turn out to be really good players? No one knows anything at this point, why can't you let us at least be excited that we've got something good. Hope is a good think Jakey, maybe the best of things!

I know you're the pessimist of the group so you do you...but I'm gonna err on the side of optimism that we got 2 really good high-end players until proven otherwise.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Funny what happens when you watch these hockey players play hockey games. You might’ve been less confused about the sudden positivity around Josh Doan’s performance in the rookie showcase, too. There’s a lot of mystification that might clear up for you if you sit down and watch. It’s really the key to unlocking mysteries like these.

I see you’re laughing. I’m glad. It’s important to laugh. Good for your health. But I’ve got a question, what’s more laughable, someone who watches hockey players play hockey and gets excited about their potential as a result, or someone who never watches them play and remains a skeptic based on… gut instinct(?) or their own imaginings(?) or…?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I loved the But pick even when it happened.

I didn't like the Simashev pick. I'd swap him for Dvorsky in a nano-second. I do like to see Bill's enthusiasm surrounding Simashev. He knows way more than I do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Funny what happens when you watch these hockey players play hockey games. You might’ve been less confused about the sudden positivity around Josh Doan’s performance in the rookie showcase, too. There’s a lot of mystification that might clear up for you if you sit down and watch. It’s really the key to unlocking mysteries like these.

I see you’re laughing. I’m glad. It’s important to laugh. Good for your health. But I’ve got a question, what’s more laughable, someone who watches hockey players play hockey and gets excited about their potential as a result, or someone who never watches them play and remains a skeptic based on… gut instinct(?) or their own imaginings(?) or…?
As far as the Russian kids go I don't think may people watched them, or much of them except for maybe some clips of them. As far as Doan goes, I watched some of the first game, but for me, these games don't mean much. Let's wait for training camp before we talk like we have a few McDavid's in the organization. To even suggest that Doan deserved an invite to Australia after watching one rookie game is laughable. Sure Doan looked good, better than Guenther and maybe even Cooley, but does that suggest he is better? I think Doan will eventually make it to the NHL because of his hockey IQ and his no quit balls to the wall attitude, but he is a ways away. I know you are a die hard Coyote fan, and for that I commend you, and it's easy to get excited after a long summer off.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey, why can't we just be 'excited' about the possibility that the players turn out to be really good players? No one knows anything at this point, why can't you let us at least be excited that we've got something good. Hope is a good think Jakey, maybe the best of things!

I know you're the pessimist of the group so you do you...but I'm gonna err on the side of optimism that we got 2 really good high-end players until proven otherwise.
Nothing wrong with being excited. All I said was when selected most didn't know who the were, and many or most would have selected someone else, that is all. This, by the way is not unusual, it happens most every draft, with most every fan base. I'm not a pessimist, rather a realist. We could end up with two really good players, or maybe not.

I loved the But pick even when it happened.

I didn't like the Simashev pick. I'd swap him for Dvorsky in a nano-second. I do like to see Bill's enthusiasm surrounding Simashev. He knows way more than I do.
That's why BA makes the big bucks.

Reactions: Kaizen

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As far as the Russian kids go I don't think may people watched them, or much of them except for maybe some clips of them.
I’ve watched probably two dozen Loko games from last season featuring Simashev and But. And one from this season. I’ve provided links and posted thoughts on what I’ve seen. Added clips I made in discord too.
As far as Doan goes, I watched some of the first game, but for me, these games don't mean much.
They mean more than nothing. :)
Let's wait for training camp before we talk like we have a few McDavid's in the organization.
Mmmhhhm. People are definitely saying that outside of your imagination. Haha.
To even suggest that Doan deserved an invite to Australia after watching one rookie game is laughable.
Liam OBrien is there and he sucks. Laugh at that.
Sure Doan looked good, better than Guenther and maybe even Cooley, but does that suggest he is better? I think Doan will eventually make it to the NHL because of his hockey IQ and his no quit balls to the wall attitude, but he is a ways away.
I thought you were a big bootstraps guy? Earn it on merit. Show it in camp. Seize your opportunity and all of that. I guess maybe coasting on reputation is better now?
I know you are a die hard Coyote fan, and for that I commend you, and it's easy to get excited after a long summer off.
Too true. :)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
i feel like you are unaware at times that this is a hockey prospect website.

Doan is going off again today, too. Might be the best player of any team in this entire rookie showcase. It’s possible.
really this has been a good showcase of our scouts ability to identify players. Everyone who we wanted to show well seems to be really impressing. Doan has been everything we wanted and more and Geekie really has really shown what his upside is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad