Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #12: LW Daniil But

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like this pick, even over Benson, especially given BA's history with Tage Thompson. But is a shooting machine.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
I like But over Wood
7qxfar.jpg

With all my bitching I actually agree.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
So, michkov was still available.
We knew Philly wanted him.
We could have traded down to 7th. Got some more picks, get this Kid (why i Don't know, maybe ba has some Problems with the russian Mob).

Or Just draft michkov. For frack Sake BA, you better explain yourself.

Reactions: Nowotny

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Blackbook had him at 7.ov. Love his size/skill. Love this addition to our prospect list. We are going to be so hard to play against. Love the size that is shaping up.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

sundance74

Oct 13, 2013
North of Puszta
from The Athletic
9. Danil But, LW, Yaroslavl Jr. (RUSSIA-JR.)

Feb. 15, 2005 | 6′ 5.0″ | 203 pounds | Shoots right

March 2023 Ranking: 8

Tier: Projected top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Alex Tuch

Background: But was one of the top forwards in Russia’s junior league this season and was a near-point-per-game player in the league the prior season. He was a leading player in the MHL playoffs before an illness sidelined him. He earned limited ice time with Lokomotiv’s KHL team. Both Loko’s MHL and KHL teams were top clubs this season. But suited up for Russia’s U18 team as a 16-year-old at the Hlinka Gretzky, Black Sea Cup and the European Youth Olympics. His father Anton But played professional hockey in the KHL and Russian Super League for 17 seasons.

Analysis: But is a large, highly-skilled forward who can score. But makes a lot of crafty plays with the puck in small areas, and with his massive wingspan he’s able to pull pucks past a lot of checkers. He can both make and finish plays well, but he’s more of a goal scorer with a shot that can score from range. But isn’t blazing fast and his stride technique is just OK, but for a 6-foot-5 guy he can motor up the ice quite well, has a strong first step and he’ll be able to power his way to the net off rushes at higher levels. He gives a solid effort and is often involved in the play. Even though I don’t see a high-end trait other than his size, But checks every box and projects to be a major part of an NHL lineup.

Reactions: PainForShane

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Good thing we have a bunch of picks… Can see the the draft meetings. Hold my beer and give me a dart..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad