Prospect Info: 2023 Development Camp

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I know we have a lot of threads going right now because of the draft and all the trades and signings, but I won't be able to keep up with development camp stuff during the day so it'd be nice to have one place to refer back to for the week. ANYWAYS:

per Devils blog: 4 goalies, 18 forwards, and 11 defensemen. 19 are Devils draft choices (signed and unsigned), five AHL players, and nine invites.
  • Wednesday, July 12: will feature a 3-on-3 competition at 5:30 p.m. with an autograph session to follow.
  • Friday, July 14: will feature a Team Red vs. Team White scrimmage at 10 a.m. Friday's scrimmage will be live streamed on the Devils official website.

Here's a much more legible version of the roster.
Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 8.30.32 PM.jpg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Two of the NCAA non-nepo-baby invitees are actually sign-able FAs. Maybe they’re both heading back to college but maybe they’re not. And if not hopefully they get AHL deals.

From the Elite Prospects Rinkside 2023 NCAA Free Agency Guide

C552617F-D3A6-4B5D-BB00-103351362C4A.jpeg

A year ago, Ondřej Pšenička was near the top of the NCAA free agent food chain, with more NHL teams interested in his services than not. He scored 21 points in 32 games on an offensively limiting team as a first-year player. He was intelligent in how he did it, showing a deep understanding of the off-puck game and a knack for well-timed steals. The production took a bit of a hit this year, as has his stick.

Still, his ability to get open inside space, intelligent defensive supporting reads, and play-building passes should allow him to regain his scoring touch. He’s always looking to cut inside with possession and create a bit of chaos. The big question will be skating. He’s lumbering and unstable on his edges, with most turns and cuts stopping his momentum, and his stride leaving him chasing the play. While he’s 6-foot-6, his size is rarely a factor, with opponents able to get lower and knock him off balance. If the skating improves, he might play with his combination of size and intelligence.

J.D. Burke: January 28th, 2023 - Cornell vs. Harvard - NCAA

Pšenička picked up a really slick goal with a deflection mid-stride to get Cornell on the board in the first period, but I was mostly impressed with his work in the defensive zone. He's a staple on the first unit penalty kill, and damn effective in that role, too. Pšenička scans and registers threats before they develop, uses his substantial reach to take away options, and plays the body without chasing hits. Just a really, really strong showing defensively. He wasn't without his moments in the offensive zone either, even when he wasn't scoring moving deflection goals. Psenicka supports the play well and does a good job of clearing space for his linemates with his movements off-puck. Where I have some trouble with Pšenička’s projection is his inability to take the puck from the boards and get inside. He's over-reliant on a punch-turn that's more of a dead stop and a creaky, sluggish rotation that doesn't generate space or time than anything. It actually makes it easier for opposing defencemen to knock him off the puck. And it's his default response to any form of pressure.

Mitchell Brown: January 14th, 2023 - Cornell vs. Boston University - NCAA

Pšenička’s an intelligent player. He understands where to position himself across the ice, whether that's getting open or eliminating threats. The stick work led to a few steals; he charges at opponents a bit and he can't recover - so he might lose a bit of that at the next level. He also flashes some handling skill to gain the inside lane. But the mechanics are limited. His release takes forever, he whiffs on passes, he struggles with the puck in-tight, and the skating's a huge limitation. He can't really turn or accelerate from stops. Opponents easily knock him off balance. He probably scores more in a different environment, one where he's not the primary puckhandler a little bit less, but the NHL odds aren't high.

Mitchell Brown: November 5th, 2022 - Cornell vs. Quinnipiac - NCAA

Psenicka's skating is the obvious limiting factor. He doesn't get any quickness out of his turns. He just stops, shuffled, and then accelerates. Weak on his edges, lacks flexion, and the stride's too upright to generate power. Opponents get leverage easily and knocked him off balance, eliminating any strength/size advantage. But he's smart. He gains the zone, then delays for support. He cuts inside across the front of defenders. Makes quick, play-building passes, even if there aren't necessarily creating advantages - he keeps the puck moving. Gets open inside space. Eliminates off-puck threats. If the skating were better, he could see NHL games.

F0CBAF79-3695-457E-92CA-C3EE9285F36D.jpeg

And for fun here’s Pšenička’s entry from…
4AA07EF3-406B-4535-9357-CED8AED964BC.jpeg

I quibbled with whether to include Ondřej Pšenička at all in this year's guide, as industry sources have confirmed to EP Rinkside that it's all but a guarantee that the Czech winger will return to Cornell for at least his sophomore season. League interest in Pšenička was so intense, though, that I figured at least a passing mention was worthwhile.

It sounds as if the majority of the NHL checked in with Pšenička at some point this season, some of them even prepared to offer an entry-level contract. It's easy to understand the draw there. Pšenička is a towering 6-foot-6 winger with soft touch as a puckhandler, some off-the-puck sense, and an about-average skating stride. When Pšenička wants to go pro, there will be no shortage of interest.
0E9C2974-0F92-4122-9209-B87A13BDA8E7.png
23C9166D-2091-462B-B33C-DA8010EC6EA5.png
3ACDEA1B-EEC0-4AD7-B162-6863C72434A9.png

38A51254-6A3E-435A-8BA9-F9258A10C764.jpeg

You won't find many skaters in all of college hockey who work harder than Luke Grainger. You know what you're getting from him every time he steps on the ice. That's always been true though, going back to his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Now he's scoring, too. The steady attrition of graduations at Western Michigan over the years has allowed Grainger to ascend to the second-line centre's role, and he's taken off in those minutes. Still, we would caution against looking too far into those counting stats. Grainger's game is still defined by effort more than skill. Every one of his tools grades out as about average, if not worse, save for maybe his shot.

The bet an NHL team is going to make with a player like this is that their skills development group can elevate his foundation in a year or two's time to the point where he's sufficiently skilled to keep up as a fourth-line centre. More realistically, you're looking at AHL depth.

J.D. Burke: February 3rd, 2023 - Western Michigan vs. Minnesota-Duluth - NCAA

A more or less unremarkable game from Grainger, though he did pick up a goal on the power play - collected the puck high in the offensive zone, skated into the space in front of him, and sniped one past a screened goaltender. He was physical, supported the puck well, and put in good work in both phases of special teams. Not really a needle-moving performance one way or the other. One thing I've pondered is what sort of numbers Grainger would accumulate in Max Sasson's place on the first line. I guess we'll never know.

J.D. Burke: January 27th, 2023 - Omaha vs. Western Michigan - NCAA

A real spark plug type of player - Grainger's game is growing on me. The skill level isn't particularly high. I don't know if his feel for the game is all that great either. You know what though? Grainger is an absolute menace. His game is all about pressure and effort. He picked up a goal in this one too, skating into the
slot on a counter play and sniping one past the Omaha goaltender. The skill limitations are real though. Grainger's hands and feet seem locked in unison, something that will limit his effectiveness at the next level (if it isn't already in college). His skating strikes me as perhaps below-average-to-average. He often passes to teammates in worse positions than himself. You're banking on Grainger's motor and chippiness translating to a fourth-line role in the NHL. That's the play here.

J.D. Burke: December 10th, 2022 - North Dakota vs. Western Michigan - NCAA

I didn't see a lot from Grainger in this one - certainly not enough to suggest he's someone on the verge of signing an NHL contract - but he deserves some credit for his work rate. Grainger is dogged in his pursuit of the puck and physical as all hell, too. He takes smart lines to the puck and wins board battles with second and third efforts. There was one play in this game where Grainger closed on a NoDak puck carrier
high in the defensive zone, swatting the puck into the neutral zone and chasing it down to lead a 2-on-1. And on that note, some good habits as a puck carrier. He plays within his abilities, always adjusting his routes and speed to level up with linemates and attack with support rather than charging headlong into numbers. I've seen less productive, less skilled players go on to be NHL role players, so Grainger is definitely someone to keep tabs on.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Two of the NCAA non-nepo-baby invitees are actually sign-able FAs. Maybe they’re both heading back to college but maybe they’re not. And if not hopefully they get AHL deals.

View attachment 727911
A year ago, Ondřej Pšenička was near the top of the NCAA free agent food chain, with more NHL teams interested in his services than not. He scored 21 points in 32 games on an offensively limiting team as a first-year player. He was intelligent in how he did it, showing a deep understanding of the off-puck game and a knack for well-timed steals. The production took a bit of a hit this year, as has his stick.

Still, his ability to get open inside space, intelligent defensive supporting reads, and play-building passes should allow him to regain his scoring touch. He’s always looking to cut inside with possession and create a bit of chaos. The big question will be skating. He’s lumbering and unstable on his edges, with most turns and cuts stopping his momentum, and his stride leaving him chasing the play. While he’s 6-foot-6, his size is rarely a factor, with opponents able to get lower and knock him off balance. If the skating improves, he might play with his combination of size and intelligence.

Pšenička picked up a really slick goal with a deflection mid-stride to get Cornell on the board in the first period, but I was mostly impressed with his work in the defensive zone. He's a staple on the first unit penalty kill, and damn effective in that role, too. Pšenička scans and registers threats before they develop, uses his substantial reach to take away options, and plays the body without chasing hits. Just a really, really strong showing defensively. He wasn't without his moments in the offensive zone either, even when he wasn't scoring moving deflection goals. Psenicka supports the play well and does a good job of clearing space for his linemates with his movements off-puck. Where I have some trouble with Pšenička’s projection is his inability to take the puck from the boards and get inside. He's over-reliant on a punch-turn that's more of a dead stop and a creaky, sluggish rotation that doesn't generate space or time than anything. It actually makes it easier for opposing defencemen to knock him off the puck. And it's his default response to any form of pressure.

Pšenička’s an intelligent player. He understands where to position himself across the ice, whether that's getting open or eliminating threats. The stick work led to a few steals; he charges at opponents a bit and he can't recover - so he might lose a bit of that at the next level. He also flashes some handling skill to gain the inside lane. But the mechanics are limited. His release takes forever, he whiffs on passes, he struggles with the puck in-tight, and the skating's a huge limitation. He can't really turn or accelerate from stops. Opponents easily knock him off balance. He probably scores more in a different environment, one where he's not the primary puckhandler a little bit less, but the NHL odds aren't high.

Psenicka's skating is the obvious limiting factor. He doesn't get any quickness out of his turns. He just stops, shuffled, and then accelerates. Weak on his edges, lacks flexion, and the stride's too upright to generate power. Opponents get leverage easily and knocked him off balance, eliminating any strength/size advantage. But he's smart. He gains the zone, then delays for support. He cuts inside across the front of defenders. Makes quick, play-building passes, even if there aren't necessarily creating advantages - he keeps the puck moving. Gets open inside space. Eliminates off-puck threats. If the skating were better, he could see NHL games.

View attachment 727912

View attachment 727915
I quibbled with whether to include Ondřej Pšenička at all in this year's guide, as industry sources have confirmed to EP Rinkside that it's all but a guarantee that the Czech winger will return to Cornell for at least his sophomore season. League interest in Pšenička was so intense, though, that I figured at least a passing mention was worthwhile.

It sounds as if the majority of the NHL checked in with Pšenička at some point this season, some of them even prepared to offer an entry-level contract. It's easy to understand the draw there. Pšenička is a towering 6-foot-6 winger with soft touch as a puckhandler, some off-the-puck sense, and an about-average skating stride. When Pšenička wants to go pro, there will be no shortage of interest.
View attachment 727916View attachment 727917View attachment 727918

View attachment 727913
You won't find many skaters in all of college hockey who work harder than Luke Grainger. You know what you're getting from him every time he steps on the ice. That's always been true though, going back to his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Now he's scoring, too. The steady attrition of graduations at Western Michigan over the years has allowed Grainger to ascend to the second-line centre's role, and he's taken off in those minutes. Still, we would caution against looking too far into those counting stats. Grainger's game is still defined by effort more than skill. Every one of his tools grades out as about average, if not worse, save for maybe his shot.

The bet an NHL team is going to make with a player like this is that their skills development group can elevate his foundation in a year or two's time to the point where he's sufficiently skilled to keep up as a fourth-line centre. More realistically, you're looking at AHL depth.

A more or less unremarkable game from Grainger, though he did pick up a goal on the power play - collected the puck high in the offensive zone, skated into the space in front of him, and sniped one past a screened goaltender. He was physical, supported the puck well, and put in good work in both phases of special teams. Not really a needle-moving performance one way or the other. One thing I've pondered is what sort of numbers Grainger would accumulate in Max Sasson's place on the first line. I guess we'll never know.

A real spark plug type of player - Grainger's game is growing on me. The skill level isn't particularly high. I don't know if his feel for the game is all that great either. You know what though? Grainger is an absolute menace. His game is all about pressure and effort. He picked up a goal in this one too, skating into the
slot on a counter play and sniping one past the Omaha goaltender. The skill limitations are real though. Grainger's hands and feet seem locked in unison, something that will limit his effectiveness at the next level (if it isn't already in college). His skating strikes me as perhaps below-average-to-average. He often passes to teammates in worse positions than himself. You're banking on Grainger's motor and chippiness translating to a fourth-line role in the NHL. That's the play here.

I didn't see a lot from Grainger in this one - certainly not enough to suggest he's someone on the verge of signing an NHL contract - but he deserves some credit for his work rate. Grainger is dogged in his pursuit of the puck and physical as all hell, too. He takes smart lines to the puck and wins board battles with second and third efforts. There was one play in this game where Grainger closed on a NoDak puck carrier
high in the defensive zone, swatting the puck into the neutral zone and chasing it down to lead a 2-on-1. And on that note, some good habits as a puck carrier. He plays within his abilities, always adjusting his routes and speed to level up with linemates and attack with support rather than charging headlong into numbers. I've seen less productive, less skilled players go on to be NHL role players, so Grainger is definitely someone to keep tabs on.
Can we sign Germion Granger? He should know a couple of spells to heal Daws. At least more center depth.
this grades are going from one to… six? Or it’s out of ten?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Can we sign Germion Granger? He should know a couple of spells to heal Daws. At least more center depth.
this grades are going from one to… six? Or it’s out of ten?

Out of 9, but the 5 grade as Replacement level means a lot most scores are clustered around that.
The tool grades (skating, shooting, passing, etc.) are pretty straightforward. We grade a player's tools on a 1-to-9 linear scale, with a 5-grade representing a skill that is at about NHL replacement level. For further clarity, I've clipped the section of the Elite Prospects 2020 NHL Draft Guide that outlines our rating system.

947DD69F-5F12-40EA-8627-3254A3B62492.png

The drop in Psenicka's skating score from 2022 to 2023 is brutal, but it would might be worth taking a flyer on him and seeing if we can’t save this Frankenstein from his ugly ala Mason Marchment.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Out of 9, but the 5 grade as Replacement level means a lot most scores are clustered around that.
The tool grades (skating, shooting, passing, etc.) are pretty straightforward. We grade a player's tools on a 1-to-9 linear scale, with a 5-grade representing a skill that is at about NHL replacement level. For further clarity, I've clipped the section of the Elite Prospects 2020 NHL Draft Guide that outlines our rating system.

View attachment 727922

The drop in Psenicka's skating score from 2022 to 2023 is brutal, but it would might be worth taking a flyer on him and seeing if we can’t save this Frankenstein from his ugly ala Mason Marchment.
2.5 for skating out of 9. This summer Fitz and co decided that we have enough good skating players.
Its very interesting he has 98 as defensive rank. He is looking like a player from what Devils tried to find on past draft.

May be Devils found some special skating coach this summer, who clearly shows he can teach a cow to skate. And from this moment skating issues aren’t the issues no more.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
2.5 for skating out of 9. This summer Fitz and co decided that we have enough good skating players.
Its very interesting he has 98 as defensive rank. He is looking like a player from what Devils tried to find on past draft.

May be Devils found some special skating coach this summer, who clearly shows he can teach a cow to skate. And from this moment skating issues aren’t the issues no more.

Even if they never get beyond the AHL, if they help Utica that’s something.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Casey, Edwards, Cheslock, Barb, Karpovich, Vilen, now Santeri??? I love it if there's an overflowing factory of Defensemen.
Same, really excited to see all these guys pushing each other for playing time. Utica could/should be a competitive environment next season. I think there’s even an outside chance one of them pushes for playing time over Nemec in training camp.

Reactions: Oneiro

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

View attachment 727911

View attachment 727912

View attachment 727915

View attachment 727916View attachment 727917View attachment 727918

View attachment 727913

nepo babies... :laugh: i love it

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
At least these nepo babies actually have some NHL pedigree to justify being invited to a prospect camp.

Remember when it was f***ing Rem Vanderbeek? And the stupid dipshit had the audacity to say he thought he belonged on the same ice as the dudes with legit shots to make the NHL? :laugh:

never heard that story about vanderbeek.... he said it out loud?

...but i 'get it' why these camps bring in extra guys (bodies) so whatever, let em have some fun

it wont get as far as this, passed over in his first draft...maybe he got better?

at least anthony was a 7th round legacy pick....he should have it on his resume

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
never heard that story about vanderbeek.... he said it out loud?

I believe I read it on TG's Fire and Ice blog back in the day. But that entire thing has been memory holed now.

Only article about him attending that year's camp I could find with a 20 second Google search was this one from Rich Chere: Peter McMullen, Rem Vanderbeek: Familiar names among Devils' prospects

The quote from him in there is much more reasonable, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00