Prospect Info: 2023 Development Camp

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I believe I read it on TG's Fire and Ice blog back in the day. But that entire thing has been memory holed now.

Only article about him attending that year's camp I could find with a 20 second Google search was this one from Rich Chere: Peter McMullen, Rem Vanderbeek: Familiar names among Devils' prospects

The quote from him in there is much more reasonable, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

I don’t know, when you read this:

“I know where I stand. I don’t need to measure myself,” Vanderbeek said. “I consider myself a good hockey player. I do all the little things right. I believe that I’ll be able to play at the next level. I want to be a good college hockey player for the time being and see what happens.

“I hope to go out and have a great year at Providence. Hopefully win a championship and see what's after that.”

You don’t expect the player to be 23 years old with 5 GP in college.

I don’t know what “next level” he was talking about but it for sure wasn’t realistically any level of competitive pro hockey.
Rem Vanderbeek EP
BDD37D77-8F66-445A-872D-E38110CF7FB5.jpeg

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We really should be developing like that given the depth we have at D. I’m sure his skills would translate to forward pretty damn well. He had a huge game at forward last year (I think it was just an exhibition, but still).
I believe he scored a hat trick playing C this year. Would be hilarious if he ended up playing C for us.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
A lot of times they just grab any warm body for these camps in order to fill out rosters. Not a lot of high level young players lounging about in NJ.

The team is thin on available prospects so I'm not surprised they grabbed anyone they could find.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
intrigued what Case can do with his career - hopefully he somehow grows another inch or 2 honestly
i’m wouldn’t say he needs to. These days there’s plenty of defenseman driving play in all 3 zones with less-than-ideal size.

Would it be nice if Adam Fox or Cale Makar were six feet+ and 200+ pounds? Sure. But that doesn’t change the fact that they’re effective at their size. Karlsson is 6’ and 190 and that hasn’t made him a stud defensively compared to the small guys.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i’m wouldn’t say he needs to. These days there’s plenty of defenseman driving play in all 3 zones with less-than-ideal size.

Would it be nice if Adam Fox or Cale Makar were six feet+ and 200+ pounds? Sure. But that doesn’t change the fact that they’re effective at their size. Karlsson is 6’ and 190 and that hasn’t made him a stud defensively compared to the small guys.
Both Fox and Makar are listed at 5’11” 180+. Casey at 5’9” 165. I agree its less of a concern these days but it is something he needs to prove he can overcome.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Can't wait to see then scrimamge on Friday. I've been to oretty much every development camp and they are always one of the best things about summer time. Hopefully Hameenaho , Casey , Vilen etc all impress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad