News: 2023 Arbitration Thread

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
7tbxxs.jpg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Marty Biron suggested that Samsonov will likely get $4m+ in arbitration. His performance last season likely warrants that and you have to think the Korpisalo signing at 5x$4m doesn't help the Leafs case a bunch. I'm not personally sold on either Korpisalo or Samsonov as starters...and of the two I rather have Samsonov. Cap space is going to be real tough for the Leafs if they have to shell out $2.2m more for Sammy this year compared to last. Oh man does that Murray deal look like a boat anchor now.

Korpisalo was a UFA so he can’t be used in arbitration case for a RFA.

RFA Goalie deals 2.4m or over (2021-23)
12/22/22 Skinner, 24 (EDM) 3 years/2.6m
9/27/22 Knight, 22 (FLA) 3 years/4.5m
9/1/22 Oettinger, 23 (DAL) 3 years/4m
7/19/22 Vanecek, 26 (NJD) 3 years/3.4m
7/18/22 Käkhönen, 25 (SJS) 2 years/2.75m
7/10/22 Georgiev, 26 (COL) 3 years/3.4m
3/21/22 Vejmelka, 26 (ARI) 3 years/2.73m
9/1/21 Sorokin, 25 (NYI) 3 years/4m
8/16/21 Saros, 26 (NSH) 4 years/5m
8/9/21 Hart, 22 (PHI) 3 years/3.98m
8/9/21 Shesterkin, 25 (NYR) 4 years/5.67m
7/22/21 Nedeljkovic, 25 (DET) 2 years/3m
3/31/21 Demko, 25 (VAN) 5 years/5m

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Big difference in salary and what he’s shown so far

Yeah - it does seem the team is taking a hardball stance with him which doesn't seem to project a happy marriage ahead. I would have rather they come to an amicable deal before it got to this point.

This is a challenge for us fans who see things differently than Davidson. Even given our understanding that Davidson and his team have better take on the big picture rebuild than we do, it's difficult to grudgingly give ground when his moves don't align with our own. While I don't believe in blindly following him likes he's some Svengali because he's human and fallible like the rest of us - I do think it's fair to take the good with the bad and I'm overjoyed with where he has steered the team in the less than 2 years he's been the GM - so I'll have to trust his moves even if I don't like them initially.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yeah - it does seem the team is taking a hardball stance with him which doesn't seem to project a happy marriage ahead. I would have rather they come to an amicable deal before it got to this point.

This is a challenge for us fans who see things differently than Davidson. Even given our understanding that Davidson and his team have better take on the big picture rebuild than we do, it's difficult to grudgingly give ground when his moves don't align with our own. While I don't believe in blindly following him likes he's some Svengali because he's human and fallible like the rest of us - I do think it's fair to take the good with the bad and I'm overjoyed with where he has steered the team in the less than 2 years he's been the GM - so I'll have to trust his moves even if I don't like them initially.
Agreed but still takes two sides to agree on middle ground. We will see how this goes forward. For all we know Kurashev is just here to keep a spot warm for someone in the future. But Luke Richardson and Kyle have said nice things about his untapped potential previously.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Agreed but still takes two sides to agree on middle ground. We will see how this goes forward. For all we know Kurashev is just here to keep a spot warm for someone in the future. But Luke Richardson and Kyle have said nice things about his untapped potential previously.

Hopefully the arbitrator works weekends and we hear something today because sometime today will pass the 48-hour marker.

And you're right about both sides needing to be reasonable. With Pat Brisson as his agent it's not surprising the Kurashev side is also playing hardball. I thought his ask was higher than it should have been based on his production so if he ends up leaving town he and his agent will not be an innocent victim in this.

Addendum: I like Kurashev and I think he has some subtlety to his game that doesn't show up on the scoresheet, not unlike Teravainen in his years with the Hawks - but I think he can be too passive at times which keeps him from reaching his potential. Maybe this hard bargaining gives him a kick in the pants and he fights (not literally) a bit more to reach higher.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I have a strong belief that as a GM, you have to pick your battles.

There are times you have no leverage and you have to give the monster contract to a core player. Davidson will very, very likely face that reality in 2 years with Bedard when he is eligible for an extension.

And then there are cases like this one. A decent, perhaps potentially good player, who is up for a new RFA deal. If you want a healthy cap structure, you can't overpay these types.

IIRC, the Blackhawks did not have to re-sign a significant NHL caliber RFA last summer. This is Davidson's first RFA negotiation with a NHL regular and he wanted to make it clear that for a non-core player like Kurashev, he was going to play hardball with these types.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Does anyone know how this 48-hour thing works? Kurashev's arbitration hearing was Thursday - I think in the afternoon. It's my understanding the arbitrator's decision must be made within 48 hours of the completion of the hearing. The 48-hour mark is right around now on Saturday afternoon. Does the 48-hour thing extend into the weekend or is it "2 working days" which means Friday and Monday?

And then - when will it be announced - when the arbitrator hands down his decision or when the team and player either accept or reject the decision - and how much time do they have to do that?

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Does anyone know how this 48-hour thing works? Kurashev's arbitration hearing was Thursday - I think in the afternoon. It's my understanding the arbitrator's decision must be made within 48 hours of the completion of the hearing. The 48-hour mark is right around now on Saturday afternoon. Does the 48-hour thing extend into the weekend or is it "2 working days" which means Friday and Monday?

And then - when will it be announced - when the arbitrator hands down his decision or when the team and player either accept or reject the decision - and how much time do they have to do that?
I believe the 48 hour includes weekends, saw a tweet yesterday that Samsonov's decision would be announced Sunday afternoon since his arb hearing was yesterday. So I'd expect for Kurashev to be announced within the next few hours. I could be wrong though, it's happened before lol.

Reactions: EbonyRaptor

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The player can not reject an arbitration ruling. The team can only walkaway from a salary of more than $4,538,958 in arbitration.

Kurashev will not get that type of $ So there is no decision for the Hawks. The arbitrator's ruling will be Kurashev's contract for 2023-24.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The player can not reject an arbitration ruling. The team can only walkaway from a salary of more than $4,538,958 in arbitration.

Kurashev will not get that type of $ So there is no decision for the Hawks. The arbitrator's ruling will be Kurashev's contract for 2023-24.

While a player can’t “reject” an arbitration award the player isn't required to sign the arbitration awarded contract. Player is still free to sign in another league such one of the European leagues.

The player would not be allowed to play in the NHL again until they either (a) sign a contract in some future season honoring the arbitration award, or (b) the players rights (and thus arbitration award obligation) are renounced by the team.

edit:

Additional detail: in this scenario the NHL rights to the player can still be traded and the arbitration award obligation travels with the Player rights to the new Team. So if a player went to arbitration with Team A and refused to sign the deal, Team A could later trade the player rights to Team B and the player would still be required to sign the arbitration award contract with Team B to play in the NHL. Neither Team A or B can ignore the arbitration award and sign the player to a different contract without first renouncing their NHL rights, making the player a UFA.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It makes me wonder if beat writers and the so-called experts who keep the masses informed actually know what the details are or care enough to find out.
They generally don't know and don't care I suspect... it's usually somewhat rare for more than 1 case a year to actually go to a hearing? So I can sort of forgive them... and us... and everybody... for not really knowing the details of the process. The poor poor arbitrator probably never imagined he'd actually have back-to-back cases like this, the sudden unprecedented workload might have overwhelmed them. :rolleyes:

Where I'm a little more surprised is about the Toronto media not really having a scoop on the Matt Murray situation yet. If they think we already KNOW that he's healthy (buy-out eligible) or LTIRable... I'm not sure that we do. And it's kind of important for the Leafs, in conjunction with the Samsonov arbitration. I'm not too surprised that MOST teams' media is kind of ignoring this. But I'm a little surprised that Toronto media is also? :dunno:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Must've been a long arbitration with Samsonov. The verdict should come 48 hours after the end of the hearing, and it has now been what, 54 hours from the start of the hearing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad