Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
OK, sort of a random question here, but would this be allowed/possible?:

Kane signs for a hefty sum with a non-contending team. That team immediately flips him to a contending team, while retaining a lot of the salary. Contending team gives non-contending team draft picks to retain the salary.

If Kane wants to get paid, I'm guessing most of the contending teams are at least in viewing distance of the cap, and might not have the space. Could this be a way around it?
I would say the league wouldn't allow it because it's clear cap circumvention.

Now, if a bottom feeder signed him and then traded him at the deadline, I'd say that would be fair game. But I don't think they'd allow an immediate sign and trade scenario.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Now, if a bottom feeder signed him and then traded him at the deadline, I'd say that would be fair game. But I don't think they'd allow an immediate sign and trade scenario.
Thanks, Pierce. I was thinking there might be a rule around that.

I suppose they could rearrange this. The contending team trades a salaried player along with draft picks (for taking on the salary) to the non-contending team ahead of time, then just sign Kane. The only difference being that roster player.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Thanks, Pierce. I was thinking there might be a rule around that.

I suppose they could rearrange this. The contending team trades a salaried player along with draft picks (for taking on the salary) to the non-contending team ahead of time, then just sign Kane. The only difference being that roster player.

I dont think there's an official rule against it, but I think the league technically has authority to veto trades and such that they deem to be against the spirit of rules.

Reactions: GeoRox89 and ABasin

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I was thinking there might be a rule around that.
Remember when the Caps traded Orpik to the Avs, the Avs bought him out and then the Caps signed him at league minimum? There was no rule against it either but the league got involved and both teams got an official warning.

Kane signing with SJ and then traded immediately to the Avs at 50% is even more blatant cap circumvention and would get the league involved for sure.

Reactions: ABasin and GeoRox89

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I would think the NHLPA would fight for it though, as it adds total dollars being spent on players.

I'm not sure how the NHL can legally split the hair between this and any other move with retention. I mean it's Gary's league he can do what he wants, but in my minds eye this would be a big nothing burger.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
We are on the same wavelength, if he actually becomes available I think the Avs come knocking. They loved him during his draft year, Rants has raved about him, and the team has shown a willingness to gamble on someone they like
This + the rumors they are kicking tires on Kane means CMac is forward shopping. He's signed to a nice number this season and I could see them actually coughing up what's needed.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Wait..do we still hate Colton, Wood and Johansen?

This + the rumors they are kicking tires on Kane means CMac is forward shopping. He's signed to a nice number this season and I could see them actually coughing up what's needed.

No it doesn't. Not at all. It means his agent is trying to drive up his asking price. Our forward lines are just fine.

That said, if Kane wants to sign here for the min and replace Drouin then I'm all for it.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
2nd line with 4th line ice time

Tatar and Ryjo corsi is straight out embarassing for a game that we won 6-3. Drouin is the only other player with a corsi under 50%.

2roQmAC.png

YGVfNr0.jpeg

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I know there was quite a few of us that thought RyJo might fail, and Colton would be the 2C at some point. But I don't think anyone predict he would bring the rest of the 3rd line with him. 😬

I worried Because I'm only half joking.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean a line of RyJo, Tatar and Drouin is set up to fail. Bednar knows that.

Only reason to do that is freeing the rest of the roster from them. They can't hurt the play of other linemates when they only play we each other.

The problem is it's supposed to be our 2nd line.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Newhook costed a late 1st + early 2nd... Kakko isn't going to be cheap.

Probably would cost something like Ritchie/Gulyayev + 1st/2nd.
probably something different. I'm guessing the Rangers would want more immediate help but maybe they would take some futures to flip to another team.

If our scouts thought it was worth it I'd trust them to make a trade like that. Kakko could be another Nuke type in waiting

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I know there was quite a few of us that thought RyJo might fail, and Colton would be the 2C at some point. But I don't think anyone predict he would bring the rest of the 3rd line with him. 😬

I worried Because I'm only half joking.

Yeah but his PP tipping makes Landeskog look not 3rd line but 4th line quality

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

What’s needed? And keep in mind that you’re talking about Bargain Bin MacFarland, the guy who buys his suits as a three-pack from Walmart.

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm assuming given Kane's lifestyle of choice, it probably involves high end housing, vehicles, and/or outings.

League minimum likely doesn't allow for that without him reaching into whatever money he has saved.
Even then though, Kanes status will guarantee him a safe job with some NHL club, which means he will be fine rest of his life financially.

He will never be poor unless he is a complete moron.

2nd line with 4th line ice time

Tatar and Ryjo corsi is straight out embarassing for a game that we won 6-3. Drouin is the only other player with a corsi under 50%.

2roQmAC.png

YGVfNr0.jpeg

I mean that's no surprise.. who would ever think line of Drouin -Johansen and Tatar would be good? It's just bad mix imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese