Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This team has potential to be stupid deep in the playoffs if Landy comes back and with Kovy on board

Lehky-MacK-Mikko
Landy-RyJo-Nuke
Wood-Colton-Kovalenko
LOC-Olofsson-Tatar/Drouin/Cogs
Kiviranta

I mean even if RyJo doesn’t produce at 2C level, that’s insane forward depth to make it work
True. Landy back alone would be massive for this team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ross Colton really finding his groove now.

Hopefully we can pause the he's a winger talk, just because he wasn't lighting it up 5 games into his start with a new team.

5 goals in the last 10 games now, while playing solid two way hockey, and utilizing his quickness up the middle, the way the Avs like to play.

Not only is he a center, but if he keeps this up, he might be on his way to becoming the best 3C In Avs history. Yelle and Ricci are probably the others, but they didn't put up the kind of numbers with the Avs Colton can.

Was moving at 20-21 mph through the neutral zone for his goal, and hit 24 mph chasing down LOC's chip pass. Not sure if 24 qualifies since it was so brief, but according to the new EDGE tech, the fastest skater so far this year was Rasmus Kupari at 23.95 mph. Fastest speed last season was 24.32 and 24.60 the year before. MacKinnon's fastest speed last year was 24.05.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ross Colton really finding his groove now.

Hopefully we can pause the he's a winger talk, just because he wasn't lighting it up 5 games into his start with a new team.

5 goals in the last 10 games now, while playing solid two way hockey, and utilizing his quickness up the middle, the way the Avs like to play.

Not only is he a center, but if he keeps this up, he might be on his way to becoming the best 3C In Avs history. Yelle and Ricci are probably the others, but they didn't put up the kind of numbers with the Avs Colton can.

Was moving at 20-21 mph through the neutral zone for his goal, and hit 24 mph chasing down LOC's chip pass. Not sure if 24 qualifies since it was so brief, but according to the new EDGE tech, the fastest skater so far this year was Rasmus Kupari at 23.95 mph. Fastest speed last season was 24.32 and 24.60 the year before. MacKinnon's fastest speed last year was 24.05.

I enjoy the research you do. It's blog worthy lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I enjoy the research you do. It's blog worthy lol.

Haha, I'm just a big Avs fan, that likes to look into these things every now and then when I have some free time, and share them with other fans. A blog wouldn't pay me enough to do it more often. :laugh:

I have been looking at the EDGE tech stats a little more though and noticed some other interesting things I'll share in a moment.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There was a bit of a debate the other day on if Seattle is a faster team than the Avs. I didn't think so, I thought perhaps they were as fast, but not faster. The numbers from the EDGE tracking seem to back that up and indicate that the Avs are actually faster.

Seattle has a slight advantage on the number of 18-20 mph bursts this year, but the Avs have a solid advantage on the higher speeds. Last season the Avs had an advantage on all the categories.

This Season 18-20 mph burst
Colorado - 1,543
Seattle - 1,647

This Season 20-22 mph burst
Colorado - 502
Seattle - 303

This Season 22+ mph burst
Colorado - 49
Seattle - 6

Last Season 18-20 mph burst
Colorado - 7,914
Seattle - 7,286

Last Season 20-22 mph burst
Colorado - 2,424
Seattle - 1,318

Last Season 22+ mph burst
Colorado - 206
Seattle - 29

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
There was a bit of a debate the other day on if Seattle is a faster team than the Avs. I didn't think so, I thought perhaps they were as fast, but not faster. The numbers from the EDGE tracking seem to back that up and indicate that the Avs are actually faster.

Seattle has a slight advantage on the number of 18-20 mph bursts this year, but the Avs have a solid advantage on the higher speeds. Last season the Avs had an advantage on all the categories.

Colorado - 1,543
Seattle - 1,647

Colorado - 502
Seattle - 303

Colorado - 49
Seattle - 6

Colorado - 7,914
Seattle - 7,286

Colorado - 2,424
Seattle - 1,318

Colorado - 206
Seattle - 29
Okay, but how many of those 22+ mph bursts from last year were Mikko Rantanen when there was an empty net?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Here is the shift chart

RyJo wasn't on the PP, but got more shifts in the 3rd than any other period and played >5 minutes.

During this season I personally don't see a change. Two main reasons... not the assets or room to make a big change. Secondarily, the Avs know that RyJo has different gears and the one that he's in today isn't the one he will be in during the playoffs. Will it be enough to make a difference? Who knows. But they'll likely let that play out.

Now next summer... if he fails, I could see a change. Either paying someone to take the contract or biting the bullet and buying him out.
Probably accurate as long as Joey keeps putting in the required effort throughout the season. I believe that IF he's just 'ok' but they still don't feel 100% comfortable with him as #2C we could see the Avs bring in a guy like Henrique who is playing C this year as a kind of fall-back/extra depth since he's in the last year of his contract.

I've watched a few Anaheim games this year and he's looked good.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Colorado - 1,543
Seattle - 1,647

Colorado - 502
Seattle - 303

Colorado - 49
Seattle - 6

Colorado - 7,914
Seattle - 7,286

Colorado - 2,424
Seattle - 1,318

Colorado - 206
Seattle - 29
This tells me that the Avs are a much faster team but Seattle are much more hard working and their guys are constantly playing with pace. Avs are capable of being faster but it isn’t constant which definitely matches the eye test for me.

Gotta get their feet moving.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This tells me that the Avs are a much faster team but Seattle are much more hard working and their guys are constantly playing with pace. Avs are capable of being faster but it isn’t constant which definitely matches the eye test for me.

Gotta get their feet moving.

I think it’s stylistic as well, the Kraken play with so much support, whereas the Avs can get pretty spread out and rely more on individual plays.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it’s stylistic as well, the Kraken play with so much support, whereas the Avs can get pretty spread out and rely more on individual plays.
Yup and they pass the puck quick to guys in stride. They might be the team that plays the pass to a guy static on the wall who one touches it to a guy skating at top speed 10' away from the boards play the best in the league. Skating fast or high top end bursts does not mean you play fast. The Avs can certainly crank it up if they need to (at least with the top and 3rd lines), but they don't play at an extreme high pace overall anymore.

Passing, support, and layers of attack are the keys to playing fast, not top speed or bursts over _ mph.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yup and they pass the puck quick to guys in stride. They might be the team that plays the pass to a guy static on the wall who one touches it to a guy skating at top speed 10' away from the boards play the best in the league. Skating fast or high top end bursts does not mean you play fast. The Avs can certainly crank it up if they need to (at least with the top and 3rd lines), but they don't play at an extreme high pace overall anymore.

Passing, support, and layers of attack are the keys to playing fast, not top speed or bursts over _ mph.

I think the 3rd and 4th lines are actually the ones that play the old Avs style the best, lost of pressure and it comes from multiple directions. The first depends so much on how much Rants cares in that moment, and how frustrated MacK is. The second is not remotely Avs hockey

Reactions: John Mandalorian

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the 3rd and 4th lines are actually the ones that play the old Avs style the best, lost of pressure and it comes from multiple directions. The first depends so much on how much Rants cares in that moment, and how frustrated MacK is. The second is not remotely Avs hockey

I think Bendar's system is just so reliant on a high effort level that when you get even a touch of laziness or fatigue, it can fall apart very quickly. So when you have Rants, RyJo, and Drouin... floating, it can just sink very quickly. Or when LOC gets played too much over the course of 15-20 games where that extra gear of his goes away, he starts falling apart.

IMO it is a bit easier for the bottom 6 lines as all they have to do is just attack and play north-south hockey. Our 3rd line doesn't really play like a modern 3rd line for most teams. It plays more like a 4th line where you end up with 20-22 ish minutes of fast north-south physical and rather simple hockey to play against. If you have a team that can handle the physicality or one who moves the puck especially quickly, they can take advantage of this. If a team struggles moving the puck or is too soft, they'll get gobbled up.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think Bendar's system is just so reliant on a high effort level that when you get even a touch of laziness or fatigue, it can fall apart very quickly. So when you have Rants, RyJo, and Drouin... floating, it can just sink very quickly. Or when LOC gets played too much over the course of 15-20 games where that extra gear of his goes away, he starts falling apart.

IMO it is a bit easier for the bottom 6 lines as all they have to do is just attack and play north-south hockey. Our 3rd line doesn't really play like a modern 3rd line for most teams. It plays more like a 4th line where you end up with 20-22 ish minutes of fast north-south physical and rather simple hockey to play against. If you have a team that can handle the physicality or one who moves the puck especially quickly, they can take advantage of this. If a team struggles moving the puck or is too soft, they'll get gobbled up.
I completely agree. I'm really hoping Landy can come back relatively healthy, and Kovalenko looks as good as he has in the KHL. That would be a huge boost to the forwards in terms of guys that play that relentless pressure style.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
We aren't getting Kane, and he's going to regret it ala Giroux when we win again
I don't think he'll regret nothing. I believe he'll go to whoever is willing to give him the most amount of $$$$$.

He's got his Cups, I don't think he needs to prove much to anyone. That's my take on it but I could be wrong and he's actually very desperate to win the Cup again over all things $$$$. Maybe...

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't think he'll regret nothing. I believe he'll go to whoever is willing to give him the most amount of $$$$$.

He's got his Cups, I don't think he needs to prove much to anyone. That's my take on it but I could be wrong and he's actually very desperate to win the Cup again over all things $$$$. Maybe...
Detroit can afford a decent bit of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad