Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This tells me that the Avs are a much faster team but Seattle are much more hard working and their guys are constantly playing with pace. Avs are capable of being faster but it isn’t constant which definitely matches the eye test for me.

Gotta get their feet moving.

Yeah, moving your feet is absolutely essential for Bednar's system to work. It's why they lost to Vegas in the playoffs, and why they lose most games.

They don't sit back and trap the neutral zone, they don't have a very physical forecheck, and their D isn't particularly tough to play against. They have to skate to win.

If the other team can skate well, and the Avs aren't, all of a sudden they become fairly beatable.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This isn't a problem when teams play the Avs because we tend to give up goals less than 2 mins into OTs

It's the best way to do it. Forget all the boring cycling stuff no one wants to see. Avs just say **** it and win doing some run n' gun or lose quickly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it’s stylistic as well, the Kraken play with so much support, whereas the Avs can get pretty spread out and rely more on individual plays.

They do, but so do the Avs. When they're on their game, the Avs are one of, if not the best in the league at supporting each other. They have the best rush game in the league for a reason.

They pass the puck well to guys in stride and one touch the puck to each other just like Seattle. It's just harder to do against Seattle, because they play an old Minnesota Wild hybrid style of clogging the neutral zone, and then skating well in transition. There's no margin for error.

So the Avs have to play a more simplistic, dump and chase style when needed against Seattle, while focusing more than usual on defense themselves. That's how they had to play to beat Minny too. They basically have to mimic their style to an extent, and then beat them with their better skill.

We haven't really seen the Avs play 100% Avs hockey in a while though, so I think sometimes we forget. Haven't really played 100% Avs hockey this year, were too beat up in the playoffs to do it, and never really had the full compliment during the last regular season either, so it came in spurts instead of consistently. They were just trying to win games however they could.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I don't think he'll regret nothing. I believe he'll go to whoever is willing to give him the most amount of $$$$$.

He's got his Cups, I don't think he needs to prove much to anyone. That's my take on it but I could be wrong and he's actually very desperate to win the Cup again over all things $$$$. Maybe...
Yeah, you're right. Different situation for sure

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If I was Kane, I'd say **** the money(he has plenty) and go for the glory. Aim to win again.

Kane winning another Stanley Cup could be amazing for his legacy. Money is irrelevant at this point.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If I was Kane, I'd say **** the money(he has plenty) and go for the glory. Aim to win again.

Kane winning another Stanley Cup could be amazing for his legacy. Money is irrelevant at this point.
But who gives him that best shot? Vegas? Boston? Vegas? Vancouver? Us?

If he signs a one-year deal he'll be going to whoever he thinks has the best chance this year. If he signs for two+ years, I imagine it'll be limited to eastern conference teams for the easier travel schedule.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

If he signs a one-year deal he'll be going to whoever he thinks has the best chance this year. If he signs for two+ years, I imagine it'll be limited to eastern conference teams for the easier travel schedule.
I guess you never know for certain, but you choose a top team. Imo, Vancouver isn't proven enough in my opinion.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Patrick Kane on the Canucks would be world class comedy. They could play Chelsea Dagger as an Intro song when he goes to congratulate Luongo on being inducted into the Ring of Honour

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
From the sound of it, Kane is not going to sign for league minimum.
League minimum wouldn’t even allow Kane to break even living his life in some major cities.

I know he’s earned lots of money in his career. But league minimum is like playing for free or possibly even a loss for a guy like Kane. He probably doesn’t expect 5M or anything. But he isn’t playing for league min either.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
League minimum wouldn’t even allow Kane to break even living his life in some major cities.

I know he’s earned lots of money in his career. But league minimum is like playing for free or possibly even a loss for a guy like Kane. He probably doesn’t expect 5M or anything. But he isn’t playing for league min either.
This is why expect Detroit or someone like that. They can throw a prorated four million at Kane if they want.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

I'm a little dumb. Can you explain to me how making $800k over a season would mean playing for free or at a loss? As opposed to what he's doing right now (which is practicing for $0 over a season)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm a little dumb. Can you explain to me how making $800k over a season would mean playing for free or at a loss? As opposed to what he's doing right now (which is practicing for $0 over a season)
I'm assuming given Kane's lifestyle of choice, it probably involves high end housing, vehicles, and/or outings.

League minimum likely doesn't allow for that without him reaching into whatever money he has saved.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'm assuming given Kane's lifestyle of choice, it probably involves high end housing, vehicles, and/or outings.

League minimum likely doesn't allow for that without him reaching into whatever money he has saved.
There's other ways for him to make money.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
k.png

Uhhuh.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
OK, sort of a random question here, but would this be allowed/possible?:

Kane signs for a hefty sum with a non-contending team. That team immediately flips him to a contending team, while retaining a lot of the salary. Contending team gives non-contending team draft picks to retain the salary.

If Kane wants to get paid, I'm guessing most of the contending teams are at least in viewing distance of the cap, and might not have the space. Could this be a way around it?

Reactions: The Moops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad