Line Combos: 2023-24 too early line combos

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
What are the expectations for Sokolov? I've seen him penciled everywhere from 3rd lin to health scratch

It really depends on what happens with the UFA market from this point on.

I think he has a shot at splitting games with MacEwen on the 4rth line.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What are the expectations for Sokolov? I've seen him penciled everywhere from 3rd lin to health scratch
He's a waiver eligible prospect, we'd probably have him penciled into the AHL as a callup if it weren't for that.

He either needs to adapt his game to play a grinder role, or play on the 3rd line to be successful, but his skating and motor has seemed to hold him back in the past.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
A more balanced group trying to roll 3 lines.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Kubalik
Greig-Norris-Giroux
Joseph-Pinto-Batherson
Crookshank-Kastelic-MacEwen

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Klevin-Braanstrom

Reactions: DaveMatthew

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Kubalik Stu Giroux
Brady Norris Bath
Greig Pinto Joseph
Imama Kastelic McEwan

Bring back the Brady Norris Bath line. Hopefully we have two lines that cans core 5v5 and we aren't just a PP merchant all year long.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Kubalik-Norris-Batherson
Greig-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-MacEwen

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Chychrun
Braanstrom-Hamonic

PP1 (1-3-1)

Tkachuk
Norris-Stutzle-Batherson
Chabot

PP2

Kastelic? (Maybe Greig)
Kubalik-Giroux-Pinto
Chychrun

Pk1
Stu-Joseph
Sanderson-Hamonic

Pk2
Kastelic-Kelly
Chychrun-Zub

Pk I think is going to have some serious growing pains, Pinto and Norris are options, but there's not a lot of clear pk units at fwd.

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
A more balanced group trying to roll 3 lines.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Kubalik
Greig-Norris-Giroux
Joseph-Pinto-Batherson
Crookshank-Kastelic-MacEwen

Chabot-Chychrun
Sanderson-Zub
Klevin-Braanstrom

This is what I'd run. Watching videos on YouTube, Kubalik scores a lot of his goals coming in off the right side. Could be a good fit as a pure shooter on that line.

Ideally we'd bring Formenton back to push Joseph and Greig down, too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This damn Hockey Canada investigation needs to be released. Adding Comtois and Formenton on the 3 & 4 LW spot would be incredible. I know it’s not happening but damn that would be perfect.
On the DFO podcast today Seravalli said it's very close to being released and that teams are bracing for suspensions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On the DFO podcast today Seravalli said it's very close to being released and that teams are bracing for suspensions.
I wonder they will make details public to explain any difference in suspension length between players (assuming there are any)

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Now that DBC is gone, we have 5m cap space. I'd prefer we use it to lock up Pinto long term than bridge him on a cheap short term contract, if $3.5x8 is possible then we should do it.

Kubalic fills DBC spot on 2nd line, 3rd LW filled in with Soko signed at 800k. 4th line of Smejkal-Kast-MacEwen/Imama
Kelly 13th F.

Leaves 700k caproom, and if Murray is bought out it'll add another 1.5m(?). Thats more managable going into the season.

Reactions: barriers

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'd like to see the
Tkachuk Norris Batherson line reunited. That trio played hard heavy hockey and were a nightmare to contain

And every team that puts there big guns on D out against them, then has to deal with
Kubalik Stuetzle Giroux

You get Stuetzle away from top defenders and any team trying to shut down Stuetzle gets steamrolled by the Norris line.

It's a good problem to have

Joseph Pinto XX
MacEwen Kastelic XX

With lots of options to play those X spots including Kelly, Sokolov, Crookshank and the cap space returned from the DeBrincat trade

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd like to see the
Tkachuk Norris Batherson line reunited. That trio played hard heavy hockey and were a nightmare to contain

And every team that puts there big guns on D out against them, then has to deal with
Kubalik Stuetzle Giroux

You get Stuetzle away from top defenders and any team trying to shut down Stuetzle gets steamrolled by the Norris line.

It's a good problem to have

Joseph Pinto XX
MacEwen Kastelic XX

With lots of options to play those X spots including Kelly, Sokolov, Crookshank and the cap space returned from the DeBrincat trade
I don't mind that top 6, worst case if it doesn't work we can reunite Tkachuck-Stu-Giroux,

I see Greig filling in the third line spot, I think he and Kubalik could even see some time swapping spots.

Reactions: barriers

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pinto should be getting 12 back.
Pinto should keep 57

1689029339352.png

• Haha
Reactions: Adele Dazeem

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't mind that top 6, worst case if it doesn't work we can reunite Tkachuck-Stu-Giroux,

I see Greig filling in the third line spot, I think he and Kubalik could even see some time swapping spots.
I always manage to forget Greig. Idk if he's fully developed yet. I'm hoping we get a bonafide mid career 3rd liner. A 15-25-40 man that's tough and can play some defence.

Greig certainly has the skillset but I think he needs more time at the buffet table.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I always manage to forget Greig. Idk if he's fully developed yet. I'm hoping we get a bonafide mid career 3rd liner. A 15-25-40 man that's tough and can play some defence.

Greig certainly has the skillset but I think he needs more time at the buffet table.
I don't know that he's fully developed yet but I do believe he's reached the point where developing at the NHL level won't hurt him.

I guess we'll have a better idea at camp where he stands. Maybe he and Chychrun have been hitting the gym together, who knows...

Reactions: NyQuil

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't know that he's fully developed yet but I do believe he's reached the point where developing at the NHL level won't hurt him.

I guess we'll have a better idea at camp where he stands. Maybe he and Chychrun have been hitting the gym together, who knows...
Lol he might be best off playing in Sweden until he gets heavier.... speaking of getting hurt. Skill is not the issue. Weight and strength is. I think he's a little vulnerable to getting hurt everytime he steps on the ice in either the NHL or the AHL but who knows, maybe he put on 15 pounds of muscle

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
This team looks worse than last year. Not really a good sign for Dorion.

Yes, we get Norris back who could potentially outproduce what DeBrincat has done last year, but we didn't make the playoffs there either.
Everyone seems to be betting on Sanderson not having a sophomore slump, Chabot and Chychrun not missing 2/3 of the season like they have done for what feels like forever, Giroux not age decreasing and the top 6 staying healthy and producing.
These are far too many ifs and variables for any reasonable gm. This team is like two major injuries away from being a single digit draft pick.

I might seem pessimistic, but I could see Detroit and Buffalo finishing above Ottawa this season.

Reactions: NyQuil

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
- Erik Brännström for Anthony Mantha
- Mathieu Joseph for Andrew Peeke
- If he's cleared, sign Formenton for 2.25M × 6 years
- Extend Sanderson 7.75M x 8 years, Pinto 3.75M x 6 years
- Roll 4 lines and 3 pairings

Tkachuk - Stützle - Giroux
Formenton - Norris - Batherson
Mantha - Pinto - Kubalik
Greig - Kastelic - MacEwen