Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
You think Athanasiou, Foligno and Dickinson would get the contracts they signed with Chicago anywhere else? This is part of the reality of being a rebuilding team post-teardown. Might as well overpay someone who deserves it like Zadina.
All of those players are better than Zadina, and yes, you need to over pay to attract UFAs and that is fine, but that isn't the point.

The fact that Zadina terminated his contract means he should get less leniency on earning the money back, not more. Part of running a business, especially in a highly competitive field like pro sports is you need to maintain consistent risk reward tolerance, across your assets. Zadina took on risk by coming to the Sharks. The Sharks need to not get into the habit, reputation, and lose leverage in future situations by taking the loss when the other party takes on the risk. That is the kind of thing that destabilizes your business and cap structure long term.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If a need to get to the floor is actually there because nobody could be signed or traded for them trade for Lehner with Vegas but it’s not a real concern. There are still only so many lineup spots in the NHL.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
My top targets:

1) Lindholm as the #C to shelter the youth; give him $$$$ on a short deal
2) Matt Roy as top-4 defenseman; plan for him in the long term
3) Orlov as a cap dump
4) Kotkaniemi as a buy-low asset
4) Goodrow to solidify the bottom-6. If NYR buys him out he could be had cheaply.

Eklund-Lindholm-Zetterlund
Granlund-Kotkaniemi-Prospect
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Orlov-Roy
Prospect-Emberson

Is a decent "core".

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Could we acquire someone like Brandon Gallagher where he agrees to a contract restructure that gives him all of the remaining money on the deal this year and then the contract ends. I doubt it is allowable under the CBA but that would be a win-win for everyone involved.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Could we acquire someone like Brandon Gallagher where he agrees to a contract restructure that gives him all of the remaining money on the deal this year and then the contract ends. I doubt it is allowable under the CBA but that would be a win-win for everyone involved.

No. There are no contract restructures. Once the contract is signed the terms are locked. The only way out is a buyout. Occasionally both team and player will mutually terminate the contract. Or… in exceedingly rare circumstances (see Kane, Evander) the contract can be terminated for cause. Those are the options.

It was a real win for the players to have fully guaranteed contracts. I don’t see them opening the door for restructure/renegotiation anytime soon.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
No. There are no contract restructures. Once the contract is signed the terms are locked. The only way out is a buyout. Occasionally both team and player will mutually terminate the contract. Or… in exceedingly rare circumstances (see Kane, Evander) the contract can be terminated for cause. Those are the options.
I figured that would be the case. Its a shame, I would love for the Sharks to do that with Vlasic's contract. Would give us cap room long term and help us reach the floor this year.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I figured that would be the case. Its a shame, I would love for the Sharks to do that with Vlasic's contract. Would give us cap room long term and help us reach the floor this year.

Eh, it’s probably for the best. Stuff like you’re proposing sounds good in the short term until short-sighted GMs start using it as a “tool” and then you end up with the New Orleans Saints cap structure where they literally have to keep deferring money just to field a team and it’s not clear when they will ever be free of it.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Rangers fan seem convinced that Goodrow is going to be bought-out; they don't want to pay the price for dumping his full contract.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Imagine if the Rangers would be willing to give up a 1st to get out of the contract, then the Sharks would have traded Goodrow for a 1st and traded for him to get a 1st. He'd make my all-time Sharks team.
Like when we traded Goodrow initially, we will need to attach a pick to make that deal happen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That 3rd was for the prospect not to take goodrow.
So you contend that Greco was worth a 3rd and Goodrow was worth a 1st? Yeah I don’t think so. Greco was a contract. The trade was Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st. We moved Goodrow to move up two rounds to have a 1st when we were not making the playoffs and gave up our 1st previously.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So you contend that Greco was worth a 3rd and Goodrow was worth a 1st? Yeah I don’t think so. Greco was a contract. The trade was Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st. We moved Goodrow to move up two rounds to have a 1st when we were not making the playoffs and gave up our 1st previously.
Yes i am because that's how trades in the NHL has gone on for the entire time the league has been making trades. Anytime there is a trade for a roster player for a pick and the receiving team adds a player there is always a lower pick added to even out the trade.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Barabanov seems very gone, MG pretty much just said so. Also dont know why Barabanov would want to stay after this last year
I am surprised they are not re-signing him and now even more disappointed we don’t move him at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad